Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Trap comp experiments  (Read 2334 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Trap comp experiments
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 12:39:14 am »

Hmmm... oh well. Myth busted I guess. I wonder what caused my opponents to burst into flames last time. Maybe I should dig up that old copy of DF I have somewhere.

I've tried playing with both heat and burn damage types. Originally I did get things to set on fire when damaged by heat type weapons,  I was unable to replicate the results when I tried again on a clean install (the original tests were on a very heavily modded install with so many changes I didn't even remember them all).

So I don't know. I don't think heat or burn will light things on fire... but I'm not willing to rule it out totally yet, more testing is needed.

Edit: just did some more testing with HEAT damage, and despite many dead elves it didn't seem to set anything on fire. I didn't try BURN damage, maybe some other time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:13:13 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:50 am »

I thought heat damage set things on fire as a critical effect? So, it wouldn't happen every time, but there would be a probability.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 02:08:10 am »

I DID check to see if a trapcomp with HEAT or BURN triggered fire. It did not. I tried it in both spike format and weapon trap format (by jiggering a dwarf to sleep on the trap). Still nothing.
Yeah, but it must have been funny...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:14 am »

I thought heat damage set things on fire as a critical effect? So, it wouldn't happen every time, but there would be a probability.

I tested this and couldn't set anything on fire. Maybe it was a feature that has been removed?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 12:16:26 am »

I killed quite enough elves that I would have gotten some criticals, and yet there was never any fire anywhere.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 02:24:35 am »

I tested this and couldn't set anything on fire. Maybe it was a feature that has been removed?

Heat and burn damage is still both pretty hardcore-all three of the "special damage types (gore, burn, heat) are really nasty. In particular, I've noticed that gore tends to deal much worse wounds than the damage would indicate-this is why lashers are still dangerous when whips have a damage rating of 20.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:42 am »

What about cold damage?  I've never tried that out before.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 08:40:57 pm »

I've switched mine over to ten hits of 10-point slashing. Gore is too hardcore :3
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:25 am »

From the DF Wiki on heat attacks

December 13, 2007
Heat has attack messages almost similar to burn.  However, it may be somewhat related to temperature, as when a creature is killed by a "heat" attack, it's corpse ignites (this was tested with a spirit of fire-like creature though).

December 14, 2007
Heat has attack messages almost similar to burn.  This attack is more related to temperature than burn attacks.  When a creature is killed by heat attacks, it's body ignites.  It's unknown that fire-immune creatures are effected by this attack.

By the way, the second edit was by the same person as the first.

I suggest finding the version of DF that was current as of 12/14/07 and testing it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]