Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If I made a Mafia...  (Read 1663 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If I made a Mafia...
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:15:52 pm »

My pictionary idea didn't hold alot of water, and Mafia's intrigue me, so I thought of making one.

It would contain lots of interesting roles, like Pandar's ridiculous mafia, but maybe alittle more structured.

I can't claim to be as good a Mafia host as Meph is, but I'll do my best. Maybe I'd implant a good degree of tasteful humor throughout the game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If I made a Mafia...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:19:39 am »

So no ones interested in a Mafia I'd host? I had some neat ideas with magic and wizards and stuff.

To put it in more detail, Each player would be a wizard, and there'd be a plethora of magic powers, each player only having one magic power (with unique effects and restraints) and it'd be really cool. There'd be a backstory with evil wizards wanting to kill everybody, maybe for treasure or something.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:02 am »

When I want ideas, I just go to mafiascum.com .
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:27:25 am »

There's a freakin' website dedicated to this stuff!?!?!?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:30:26 am »

Two. But I can't remember the second website, and it likely has shut down.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:58 pm »

Try to run that nuclear mafia thing I suggested a while back. Basically, Defcon with mafia rules.

Each player is a country with cities and factories. The countries can spy on other countries, patrol their perimeters, and launch nuclear strikes against each other. There are some details to be worked out, but it can probably be fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »

I've never heard of your idea Sean, mind linking to it?

I have been reading up at the Mafia Wiki, and I got a better idea of what I want. If Squeegy's werewolf mafia implodes on itself, then I'll make one to fill the void, most definitely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:39:04 pm »

It was in the Perpetual Nuclear War thread. Specifically, here.

It'll probably be no use using the idea as it is for a Mafia clone, you'll need to expand on spying and preparing to strike, and probably add special roles and effects as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:50:23 pm »

I think the wizard thing was pretty cool.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:58:36 pm »

I think the wizard thing was pretty cool.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:08:44 pm »

Those guys on the wiki have thought of everything!

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Roles

Reading all that has given me inspiration. Here's what I'm thinking of. Assuming a "no reveal" rule, where roles aren't revealed upon death.

ideas for Townie roles:

Cop: A regular cop, uses the help of his enabler to investigate one person each night (determining their role) or investigate one dead body (determining it's role posthumously).

Cop Enabler: Has no powers by himself, but if he's killed, the cop can't perform his duties and transforms into a regular townie.

Arrogant Master Detective: During the night, he functions exactly like a cop, and can investigate one person or body per night. During the day, he has the added ability of being able to deduce the truthfulness of any statement OR investigate any dead body to determine it's role and who killed that person (he requests to do either of these things by contacting the mod, i.e. me). However, he's so arrogant, the he'll gloat loudly of his discovery and everyone will be notified that he's the master detective.

Amnesiamancer: Once a night, he'll cast his magic to make a character forget what he wanted to do that night, thus negating whatever his action was. The Amnesiamancer overrides any and all actions.

Alarmomancer: If he's attacked, will automatically let everyone know exactly who attacked him. If targeted by the Amnesiamancer at the same time as being attacked, he'll forget to cast his magic.

White Mage: Each night, he can target one person each night to protect OR one person to revive each night.

Ideas for Mafia Roles:

Necromancer: Can revive any character each night.

Illusionist: Each night, can cast a magic on himself or anyone else that not only hides his identity, but can fool anyone investigating him into thinking that the subject of the magic is any role the illusionist wants (for example, he could cast the magic on the white mage, saying to make him look like a mafia member, and if anyone investigates them, they'll turn up mafia member. But if he casts the magic on himself, and says he wants to appear like an Alarmomancer, then anyone investigating him will think he's the alarmomancer.) Cannot make himself look like the Lovecraftian horror.

Criminal Mastermind: Can perform perfect crimes. Can kill the Alarmomancer without triggering his alarm, and the arrogant master detective can't deduce his identity from examining his victims, but the AMD will not be revealed because of this.

Ideas for third party roles:

Situational Mind Controller: This person can control the actions of ANY other character during the night, on one condition however: when requesting who to mind control, he must post the person's name AND role, necessitating that he deduce who's who before he can become effective. His victims are made aware that they are mind controlled, but not by who. Wins when he's the only person left. If he successfully mind controls a mafia member, he controls who the mafia kills that night or use that mafia member's power. If he controls the cop or detective, the results are given to the mind controller and not the investigator.

Lovecraftian Horror: A monster of unimaginable horror hiding amongst humans. Has no active powers, but he can survive being nightkilled once, and any detective investigating him is given the "townie" result and the investigator in question goes insane, and any person they investigate after that gives them the opposite answer of what they'd normally get. They are not told they are insane. He wins when all other players are dead. The Illusionist's magic overrides and disables his mind-warping appearance.

Ontop of all this:

Two players will be chosen to be "best friends", these two players will know eachother's identities. If one of the two are killed, then the second will wait until the next night, and then commit suicide. The white mage cannot protect against suicide. If revived, he waits until the next night, then commits suicide again unless the first is revived.

What do you guys think?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:11:12 pm »

Cool.

Or everyone could be a sorcerer, and get different powers each turn?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »

I really like my idea, I think I'll make this mafia rightaway.

After thinking about it, I'll only make one change, and that's that the the Lovecraftian Horror will also be able to kill a player each night.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:14 pm »

oh... apparently you investigated mafiawiki...

and yes there is a whole web page dedicated to this game and it's pure gold!!!  ;D
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 12:53:52 am »

Two. But I can't remember the second website, and it likely has shut down.

This is that second website.