Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Who else is itching for some development updates?  (Read 4197 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Who else is itching for some development updates?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:45 pm »

Stop it stop it stop it!

CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE TEARING THIS FORUM APART?!

*runs crying to his room*
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 05:28:37 pm »

I don't live in this forum so I'm quite late, but:

There is such a thing as constructive criticism. 

Like calling a feature in development stupid and gamey?

We have a bug tracker specifically so that people can point out the flaws in the game, and fix them.

Then you should wait the new version being released and report the bridge bug there, instead of writing a book about it in the FoTF thread.

When I do work on something, you can be sure the first thing I do is put it up and ask people to critique anything they can find they think is wrong with it.

Even before you finished it?

It works much better than this sort of passive-aggressive nonsense where I find these random complaints in random other threads because they aren't mature enough to bring their complaints up in someone's face, so they do it behind their backs.

You weren't the only one complaining this time, though you were the most aggressive and your remark about it being stupid and gamey stood out. I just wasn't in the mood to enter the discussion in the FoTF thread.

Toady wouldn't have been making this game for this long if he wasn't prepared to deal with someone saying, "You know, I don't think this looks quite right, and for that matter, I actually am going to take the time to back this statement up with some proof."

I hope so.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:55 pm »

Only half joking, thvaz...
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »

Gurg, didn't notice there was another page! and I only brought the bridge back up to (hopefully) set this thing to rest...and a bit out of amusement I admit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:51:58 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

Arg, I shoulda known there was a troll under that bridge. ;)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 08:16:27 pm »

There is such a thing as constructive criticism. 
Like calling a feature in development stupid and gamey?

Naturally.

When something is flawed you call attention to it, instead of pretending that everything is perfect and fawning over everything Toady does.  Toady will never correct the mistake unless he knows its there.

Then you should wait the new version being released and report the bridge bug there, instead of writing a book about it in the FoTF thread.

If it is there when the version comes out, I will.  As it stands, this conversation goes in a circle. 

Once again, let me repeat this -
when I noticed that bridge, what I did pretty much was to just point it out in a couple of sentences.

It's only when people argued that there was nothing at all wrong with bridges that go nowhere that I had to step up the argument to explain why it was wrong.

The argument was not "this may be something that should be held off," but "there is nothing wrong with this at all," and that is an entirely different argument. 

If you go into talking about how something like how this is something that can take just a quick nod in the direction that this is something that needs to be dealt with somewhere down the road, and that other things require more attention, I'll agree with you. 

However, I will not agree that it is simply not a problem if a single farmer constructs a 162-foot-long, 15-foot-wide bridge just because the game doesn't recognize the costs involved. 

Even before you finished it?

Of course, before you finish is the best time to notice a problem, since nothing is set in stone yet. 

The closer you are to the time you commit an error, the easier it is to go back and make the correction, because the less you have done that is based upon the assumptions in that error.

In fact, he's still working with a mockup map, and not actually putting it into the game yet, which means the whole system is isolated, which is the best time to stress test the system, since it is a closed system, and you have greater control over the variables than when it's going through the crazy amount of data being thrown through worldgen.

You weren't the only one complaining this time, though you were the most aggressive and your remark about it being stupid and gamey stood out. I just wasn't in the mood to enter the discussion in the FoTF thread.

My tone became aggressive because it had to be to make my point - as I had said, there were people comparing a bridge that is larger than some of those houses just to the north of it on the map to "just putting a log across a stream". 

Especially when one of those houses could just be deconstructed to let the urban road through, and rebuilt for far less material and cost than having the bridge there.

Further, there is a massive difference between saying that an easily correctable mistake I notice in an early mockup, where one expects to be able to find silly mistakes that are easily correctable, has a "stupid and gamey" look and saying that I think Toady is stupid or that I am somehow insulting Toady in any way. 

Believe you me, people will point out stupid mistakes I have made in my own work and call them stupid mistakes.  It's entirely common and routine in any situation where someone isn't being treated as if they were the pope and they were infallible. 

Suggestions, bug reports, and frank questions are not the insults to Toady One you seem to think they are.  He is just as human as you or I, and occasionally people really do have ideas that he hasn't thought of yet, or can find mistakes that he has made.  It's OK to treat him as a human being.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

Arg, I shoulda known there was a troll under that bridge. ;)
Heh, that one made me laugh.

Now there appears to be far too much bridge talk in here, thought that it had been discussed ad-nauseum in the FoTF thread.

I'm still itching for an injection of toady blog updates. Like others say, he's a game developer, not a blog entertainer and he's likely slogging away at dull implementations that arn't in his eyes interesting enough to share just yet.

But he is an entertaining blog writer, else I wouldn't be so hooked!

I do like the idea of platnum castles though, bug or no bug, that sounds freeking awesome to find! Wonder if with a little modding you could get things like crystal or rubie castles...

Edit: My bad! Stupid caching of web pages, not showing me the new update.. Cool, catacombs!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:20:52 am by Ethicalfive »
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:07 am »

I didn't notice the catcombs :o... It's awesome. Oh I can hardly wait, it'll be so much fun to slaughter the undead in a resting place of the dead.
I'm still itching for an injection of toady blog updates. Like others say, he's a game developer, not a blog entertainer and he's likely slogging away at dull implementations that arn't in his eyes interesting enough to share just yet.

But he is an entertaining blog writer, else I wouldn't be so hooked!
True dat.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 2 [3]