Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hard Mod  (Read 2522 times)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
Re: Hard Mod
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:43 pm »

I really like that. I'll go adapt my flying thieves into demon wraiths and post them, if that sounds good to you.

Sure I dont mind.  Hell, your mod is the closest thing to a 'Hard Mod' out there anyways.  Ooooo.....Orcs, Demon Wraiths, and magic wielding Dark Elves!!!  That sounds like 'Hard Mod' right there!
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »

If anyone wants to add Dark Elves to their mod or their game, here is the creature code I came up with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here is the entity code...

I tried to make their spheres and personality a cross between elves and goblins, with some fire thrown in there too.  Theyre basically overly hyper and very smart, but dont have typical elven discipline and are quick to anger.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 02:08:57 pm »

Demon Wraiths!
Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: entity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ammunition (click to show/hide)

Completely untested, but it should all work.

My initial thoughts? They might be a bit too powerful, if everything works the way that I want it to. They should show up early and sneaking, avoid de-sneaking for wildlife and then, once discovered, completely wreck the fortress. Or possibly just kill everything on their way to the thing they were trying to steal, and then leave. Either way, even the thieves should leave a trail of burning destruction in their wake. Eventually, they will start ambushing and sieging too (FUN!). I felt like it would be better to make them more difficult to start with, and then tone them down, rather than the other way around.

Their stats are taken mostly from the HFS demons, with the addition of a few weapons and DAMBLOCK equivalent to wearing platemail (they shouldn't wear other armor, though). They are fast by default (to counter slow sneaking speeds), so once they show themselves they should be very fast indeed. They have fixedtemp, so they shouldn't have issues with lighting themselves on fire (though they may have trouble swimming through magma, since they are fixed at water freezing temperature.). They also have the tags to not be slowed down by dwarves hitting them with things, so they should be nearly-unstoppable killing machines.

Dealing with them would seem to involve sealing EVERYTHING until you had several (many) champions, and then being really, really paranoid (since by the time, they should be sending ambushes). Alternately, you might be able to kill the thieves with some clever entrance design and an auto-repeating spike trap, but that would be hard (and dangerous). The weapons would be nice to stick in weapon traps, (or in adventure mode), but should be useless otherwise. On the other hand, if you kill some you'll get a nice skull to work with.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 02:30:36 pm »

I personally gave goblins and my own flavor of orcs wyvern mounts.  They give the goblins the ability to fly over defenses in later seiges.  Wild wyverns also live on mountains as predators.  Though the wild ones sometimes get stuck in the air like eagles do.

Just imagine a giant flying lizard with the ability to sting to paralyze an opponent like a GCS does.  Then give them a bad attitude and a little green guy with a crossbow riding on it's back.  I had a single squad of these utterly destroy a 170 member fortress with a highly skilled army.

I had to recreate this from memory since I lost all my old raw files.  They should work.  the [EVIL] tag may be optional.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 06:07:47 pm »

Rysith your demon wraiths are awesome!!!  Hell yeah!  I didnt even think about magmavision and all that stuff.  That adds another layer of defense you have to worry about because even magma moats might just end up being easy access points for demon wraiths.  These creatures are probably the hardest to design a fort against.  Sure you can seal yourself off, but thats the thing, you HAVE to seal yourself off!

If only I could get these things in my current fort so they could provide a real challenge for Queen Urist's guards....but Id have to re-gen.  Maybe I could adapt em though.  I could stand to get rid of mountain goats or something, and just make demons as regular creatures.  Couldnt make em equip anything though...but it shouldnt matter if I give em all those buffs you did.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 12:32:31 am »

Oh and Greiger I totally dig your Wyverns too!  Im gonna have to toy some more with the demon wraiths and dark elves, but Ive always wanted a flying mount for some siegers.  I was gonna give the elves giant eagle mounts, but I like your wyvern rider for the goblins even more.

So thus far in brainstorming for a truly brutally hard mod, we got Orcs as beefed up gobbos, we got gobbos on flying dragon creatures, we got elves with fireballs and possibly also on flying mounts, and then to top it all off we got demon wraiths that can get through pretty much any tiny little opening in your fortress and wipe you out.

And Rysith I also liked your idea of slowing down crop growth and changing the seasons around.  That would have to be included in any mod that aimed to make the game harder.  Food needs to be harder to come by in vast quantities.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »

If only I could get these things in my current fort so they could provide a real challenge for Queen Urist's guards....but Id have to re-gen.  Maybe I could adapt em though.  I could stand to get rid of mountain goats or something, and just make demons as regular creatures.  Couldnt make em equip anything though...but it shouldnt matter if I give em all those buffs you did.

You may be able to get the to come if you replace the kobold creature entry (so all kobolds turn into demon wraiths). I'd make a backup and test it first, though. They might come with copper daggers, though, which would be kind of funny.

I had some issues with giving flying mounts to the Orcs (I tried Perytons), since it didn't seem to path correctly, but if Wyverns work then Orcs should use them too (and goblins on the orc mounts, if they have territory in forests/plains). Flying mounts are good, since flying in general is good.

I'm also not sure if the wraiths will wipe you out, or just kill everyone between them and what it is they want to steal. That means that you might be able to survive the beginning by just letting them take what they wanted, which seems acceptable to me. I couldn't find an explicit fireball tag (does firebreath do that?), but I intended for them to be able to throw fireballs as well. Their buildingdestroyer-ness also means that you wouldn't be able to use bridges/floodgates, you'd need constructed walls - which means no caravans.
Try my orc mod!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 06:45:57 pm »

Yeah firebreath is fireballs, dragonfirebreath is like a flamethrower kind of attack.  On the alternate side, fire immunity is immunity to firebreath, fire immunity super is immunity to dragonfirebreath.

So why didnt your flying mounts path correctly?  What fowled em up?

Oh and as for the skulking bit, in my fort (if I put em in the current one that is) they wont be thieves.  Theyll be dwarvicidal maniacs.  hahaha

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »

So why didnt your flying mounts path correctly?  What fowled em up?
As soon as the mount pathed into the air, the orc riding it freaked out and refused to move, which meant that the mount couldn't land. Seems similar to your amphibious issue.

Oh and as for the skulking bit, in my fort (if I put em in the current one that is) they wont be thieves.  Theyll be dwarvicidal maniacs.  hahaha

Isn't that what they are supposed to do? My wraiths should start sending ambushes regardless of their success at stealing prying things from your cold dead hands.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:45:31 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:00 pm »

Really?  You got skulkers to ambush?  I never managed to get the kobolds to ambush.  Even after giving them all that amphibious stuff they didnt ambush (the amphibious bit didnt work as far as when they were spotted, but I looked in legends and it DOES work as far as improving their thieving abilities).

The kobolds are supposed to ambush with archers and crap, but even after 'Jringus' and 'Fleengus' and all that stuff they still dont ambush me.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:41 pm »

So Greiger how did you get around the pathing problem for the flying mounts?  Did you just give the riders [FLIER] and ignore the weird effects? (assuming it even works)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:15:59 pm by MrGimp »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:37 pm »

I dont think flying works yet...although I might be wrong.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:53 pm »

Really?  You got skulkers to ambush?  I never managed to get the kobolds to ambush.  Even after giving them all that amphibious stuff they didnt ambush (the amphibious bit didnt work as far as when they were spotted, but I looked in legends and it DOES work as far as improving their thieving abilities).

The kobolds are supposed to ambush with archers and crap, but even after 'Jringus' and 'Fleengus' and all that stuff they still dont ambush me.

You'll notice that they don't have [SKULKING], just [ITEMTHIEF] and [AMBUSHER]. That means that they will send thieves and ambushes (and stealth sieges, I think), but the degree to which they attack you is based on fortress development rather than thievery success. Kobolds will ambush when they steal enough stuff, but the amount is high enough that as long as you make sure you clean up your masterwork bolts and (narrow giant cave spider silk loincloth)s after sieges and such it's never a problem.

Also, if he gave goblins flying... Flying goblins of DOOM!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:44:59 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »

Well the kobolds in my fortress managed to steal a couple artifacts in my fortress.  I got tired of spotting frozen kobolds in the moat, so I took their amphibiousness out.  But in the short time they were amphibious they stole a lot of wealth.  Still didnt manage to see a kobold ambush, although even if one spawned, they would probably flee before I even saw them as long as the kobolds still had [FLEEQUICK] enabled.

So how does item thief differ from skulking?  So instead of sending single thieves, they send a regular ambush, but everyone in the ambush is trying to grab your shit?

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:36 am »

What about giving a stronger flying race babysnatcher? I can see a number of good things in doing that namely continueous ambushes, sieges (and babysnatching attempts ofc) together with no need to mess around with can_speak.

It even makes sense having a strong race wanting slaves and servants doing their labour - although how DF currently does this is more to integrate them in their civ.

Still seems to me it can work.

I've had one kobold ambush in my entire DF history and while fun it was a bit pityful.  :)

edit: itemthief makes the entity steal items during world gen - I dont know if it does more than that
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:34:39 am by Xanares »
Pages: 1 [2] 3