Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hard Mod  (Read 2524 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Mod
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:55 am »

What about giving a stronger flying race babysnatcher? I can see a number of good things in doing that namely continueous ambushes, sieges (and babysnatching attempts ofc) together with no need to mess around with can_speak.

It even makes sense having a strong race wanting slaves and servants doing their labour - although how DF currently does this is more to integrate them in their civ.

Still seems to me it can work.

I've had one kobold ambush in my entire DF history and while fun it was a bit pityful.  :)

edit: itemthief makes the entity steal items during world gen - I dont know if it does more than that

Itemthief should make them send normal thieves, too. As I said, the wraiths aren't tested though, I may have to make them skulking. Ah well.

I didn't want to give them babysnatcher since then babysnatched people would show up with the sieges/ambushes, and a bunch of flying deathmachines lead by a goblin or something just isn't that impressive.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 11:38:17 am »

I never had any sieges with a lot of other races than the one sieging, and none with a leading such other race. But you're right.

Speaking of hard, the siege I had with some 54 orcs on giant wolf spiders. I met them head on within my courtyard with 4 crossbows on the wall and about 12 dwarwen wrestlers, half of them maxed or close to in skills and attributes. No armour to speak of though.
I got slaughtered and the giant spiders webbed like crazy. The first wave was probably the first 18 orcs + spiders.

Now if anyone have taken these on with full armour and weapons, I would like to hear the result.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »

Your defenses were insufficiently dwarfy.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 12:53:29 am »

I suggest making something with both [EXTRACT_PARALYZE] and [EXTRACT_PERMANENT] (together, they send dwarves into permanent comas). Maybe make it a vermin for extra evilness.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 01:33:17 am »

the message spam you get from permenantly paralyzed dwarves is a real pain though.
  Ive been looking through and I cant wait to see this mod working.
  Personally I would rather see the game made generally harder with longer growing times, more aggressive wildlife (would it be possible to nerf trading so things are more expensive?) rather than just getting seiged by unkillable horrors early on and that being the end of it. 
  I enjoyed playing as gnomes (like runty dwarves from what I could tell) with some mod whose name eludes me.  goblin theives could kill an unarmed gnomish recruit about 3/4 of the time.

Flying enemies would be a good way to go, I love the look of the wyverns and they are definately going in my next fort.  would amphibious mounts be able to wander across moats with rider still intact?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 06:58:08 pm »

Personally I would rather see the game made generally harder with longer growing times, more aggressive wildlife (would it be possible to nerf trading so things are more expensive?) rather than just getting seiged by unkillable horrors early on and that being the end of it.

I agree with you (one of the reasons that I started the Orc mod rather than just using Better Goblins). I'm hoping that the wraiths just come in and take your lunch money (so to speak) at the beginning, and turn into an incentive to devote a lot of resources to your military in the late game. If they start being early fort-wipers, I'll have to tone them down (or raise their progress triggers). Ideally, they will be something that comes to your fort and takes what it wants and then leaves at the beginning, and then a constant threat to your woodcutters/fisherdwarves/caravans afterwards (and thus a good reason to dedicate a squad or two of champions to patrolling around). They should be killable by well-trained and well-equipped dwarves, though. Perhaps even easily, if they are good enough with swords or axes.

Longer growing times and less-valuable food/booze/dye will also probably go a long way towards making both survival and trade more difficult. Giving dwarves [SLOW_LEARNER] would also probably help a lot to reduce the number of legendary dwarves you have lying around.

I'm not sure if amphibious mounts would work, since (in my experience) the mount code is a bit hacked-together (similar to the caravan wagon code), so it seems like everything involved needs to be able to path for it to function well.

Permanently paralyzing dwarves, especially from a vermin, would be really annoying, not hard. Hard gives you a challenge to overcome. Permanently paralyzing vermin would be Goddamned Bats.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 2 [3]