Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Mind & Magic Mafia! Sixth Day!  (Read 35226 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mind & Magic Mafia! Sixth Day!
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:59:15 pm »

A Mafia with lots of unique roles!

Basic Mafia Rules: There will be a number of players, some of these players are Mafia! The players spend the day voting on a person to kill, and the Mafia spend the night to kill one person at their own discretion.

There are two rogue agents mixed in with special powers, each with the objective of having to kill all the other players.

The town wins should they manage to eliminate the mafia, and the rogue players. The mafia wins when they eliminate all other players. The Rogue players win when all players other than themselves are dead.

Two players will be selected at random to be "best friends". If one of the best friends die, then the other will be so grief-stricken that they'll commit suicide the next night. If the deceased BF is revived on the same night that the living BF would commit suicide, then the suicide is prevented from occurring. If at any time the two BF's are the only players left standing, they automatically win, regardless of what faction they're on.

This particular Mafia has the additional rule that the roles of dead players are NOT revealed, not to the populace and not to the killer. Only Investigaters can determine the roles of the dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THIS IS IMPORTANT: You may PM each other freely as long as I am CC'd on every PM. All communication is to include me.

Any questions? If something seems wrong with the roles as I've laid them out, then feel free to point it out.

The players, in order of first to last to sign up:

Penguinofhonor
Zaithemaster
Qwertyuiopas
PsychoJelly
Boksi
Webadict
Alexhans
Org
Inaluct
bob_smith
Pandarsenic
Cheeetar
Nuke
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:55:56 am by chaoticjosh »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Mind & Magic Mafia!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:31 pm »

I'll play.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »

The town wins should they manage to eliminate the town, and the rogue players.

wut

Other than that, I'm in.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03:46 pm »

Ha, thanks for catching that typo Zai.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:44 pm »

This looks interesting.

I'll play too!
Eh?
Eh!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:39 pm »

I'll play.

Hoping for lovecraftian horror.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:10:10 pm »

Also, with revivals, what's to stop the game from just descending into "I revive player A, we lynch player A, I revive player A, we lynch player A" with the vigilante/serial killer-esque roles killing at random until they kill a reviver person?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »

Count me in.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »

Also, with revivals, what's to stop the game from just descending into "I revive player A, we lynch player A, I revive player A, we lynch player A" with the vigilante/serial killer-esque roles killing at random until they kill a reviver person?
No point. I'm in.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:22:30 pm »

The mafia and the lovecraftian horror can kill a person each night, so the situation you describe is sort of unlikely, and once all the mafia and the two rogues are dead, the town would be considered the winner automatically.

There is only one stalemate type condition I thought of, and that's if the Amnesiamancer is the last townie and only one other killer role is the last opposition. They'll cancel eachother out forever, so I'd end the game as a draw.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 07:27:22 pm »

What if the white mage and lovecraftian horror are best friends?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 07:29:48 pm »

In that condition Psycho, then The LCH would have to kill the white mage last. So he's technically declared the winner before the next night begins.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:31:52 pm »

For that matter, if the white mage was one of the best friends, why would he/she commit suicide instead of reviving them?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 07:34:57 pm »

I'd allow the white mage to revive his best friend before he did the deed.

I made a slight change to the situational mind controller. If he's controlling a killer role, he can order that role to commit suicide. I did this so he can actually win instead of it being a logical impossibility.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »

This particular Mafia has the additional rule that the roles of dead players are NOT revealed, not to the populace and not to the killer. Only Investigaters can determine the roles of the dead.[/i]
I hate this chaos... you're the only one who has fun with this... It doesn't help anyone not to know anything about what's going on...
I'm hoping for a lot of players, hopefully 16, but 12 will do fine.
I'd suggest no more than 13...

Have you thought about consequences between actions? Do you know if it's balanced?  because your last third world war was not really fair.  I'd suggest reading the mafiawiki on balancing and making your own mods... How to mod. Look at Game Balance, Flavor...
useful too
Can you tell us anything about the probable amount of roles or at least wich roles are surely going to appear?

If someone revives it will be obviously revived by the necro... so everyone should lynch him...

the Illusionist explanation is a bit weird... clarify please.
Really... roles should be easy to explain or there's something wrong with them.

Third party roles are farfetched... Situational Mind Controller... I hope you can handle all the orders you will get from the different power roles...

Having said all this... I'm in with reservations... There are a lot of mafia games going on so I don't know how much attention they will give this one or the others.  That's why I think that a clear game with few people is better than a super complex game with multiple power roles and stars and magical wonders with millions of signed ups but no one that actually plays...

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22