Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: I think I just found out what beak dogs are.  (Read 46775 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just found out what beak dogs are.
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »

I don't think beak dogs have any sort of description that merits them being used as a mount in any fashion. Humanoids with hunched backs? Maybe they run around bent over, clawing at the ground for stability, while the goblins ride on their backs. I'm sure the goblins prize them for their ferocity above any sort of utility as a mount.

I take it you didn't read my original post, where I found what probably IS their inspiration, and gives an obvious example of how they could be used as mounts?

I think, think about it, a bipedal animal can be used as a mount. Imagine some sort of ostrich-shaped thing to picture something that has two legs but also a back you can sit on. A lot of fantasy worlds have had stuff like that, I think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 11:34:03 pm »

How come it took me so long to notice this thread?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2009, 12:22:44 am »

I take it you didn't read my original post, where I found what probably IS their inspiration, and gives an obvious example of how they could be used as mounts?

I think, think about it, a bipedal animal can be used as a mount. Imagine some sort of ostrich-shaped thing to picture something that has two legs but also a back you can sit on. A lot of fantasy worlds have had stuff like that, I think.

I think they call that a tauntaun. Or a chocobo.

But I guess you're right. Though when I think of claw hands and hunched backs, I still think of a gorilla like thing with claws. Like I said, that wallpaper very solidly sealed that image in my mind, even if it's not in line with what Toady's said about it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 01:57:03 am »

Reptilian tauntauns with the ability to rend flesh from one's bones?
Do want!
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 05:14:40 am »

Beak Dogs = Velociraptors.  I know we've had this discussion before, and that might even be Toady's official response.  And, I've got to say, this must be the first time I've posted outside of Finally in months.  Its kind of a nice change.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:20 am »

How come it took me so long to notice this thread?

Make peace, not war... in other sections of the forums :P
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »

Beak Dogs = Velociraptors.  I know we've had this discussion before, and that might even be Toady's official response.  And, I've got to say, this must be the first time I've posted outside of Finally in months.  Its kind of a nice change.

Someone linked to the quote, I believe. He said they're kind of similar to velociraptors, with vulture-like heads/beaks. I think the velociraptor comparison was about the arms, since he was talking about how they don't really have humanoid "arms", per se.

I still stand by my assessment that they're influenced from the Labyrinth things. It just makes too much sense.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »

Tauntauns actually look kinda like velociraptors with fur. They have arms and a long tail and all.
Spoiler: See? (click to show/hide)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:02 pm »

Nevermind.

I imagine them like they are large dogs with beaks instead of muzzles.

Like this image I was trying to post, but that was obviously removed by the CIA/NWO/CONSPIRCY or something because no copy of it on the internet wants to work here.

Which the picture in question was  less of a dog with a beak, then it was a dog with its face rotting off.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:47:50 pm by Guy Montag »

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »

If you can ride a velociraptor, you can ride a beak dog.
This.
Tauntauns actually look kinda like velociraptors with fur. They have arms and a long tail and all.
Spoiler: See? (click to show/hide)
The funny thing is, tauntauns are supposed to be some kind of mammalian reptile.

I've always pictured them to look like bulky reptiles with a griffin-like head minus the feathers.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 05:50:57 am »

The original inspirations were, as far as I remember, those things from tremors 2 and for riding, yeah, the labyrinth things, though we didn't get the beaks from that, and the original cautionsaurus.  Velociprators weren't an inspiration -- I think that just came up in that thread and I was trying to describe it in those terms.  Our crayon pictures of them devolved pretty far away from that though, and they end up looking kind of like wingless featherless versions of my brother's lovebirds.  I don't think they have little arms any more.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:37 am »

Hehe, interesting. Thanks for the info Toady. [Btw I really liked the Tremors movies.  :D]

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 02:02:10 pm »

I thought it would be something like this.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]