Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Possible Way to Have Multiplayer?  (Read 6010 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Way to Have Multiplayer?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 12:45:38 pm »

Okay, Dasleah, I have to ask.  Wtf is your avatar?
This post in another thread might be vaguely informative, but it might just exacerbate the already disconcerting nature of the avatar.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 12:49:47 pm »

Yeah, I blocked his avatar in Firefox. That thing was creepier than 80 zombie babies with snakes for arms. (It has a ZBWSFA rating of 84, in fact.)

Anyway, as I've said, I'd be interested in supporting this plan, and I can offer several GB of storage space if it's needed.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »

What about a system where a checked-out world can be forked, rather than checked out? Thus, a single person couldn't prevent others from using the world, but providing continuity would be relatively easy. That, coupled with a library-like "please don't use the world for more than a week or two" could help prevent some of the issues. I'd also suggest a SVN-like system to allow comments on each checkin, so that you could mention forts you'd built, as well as historical figures slain, and notable items created (people may well want to adventure in a world where someone had forged artifact adamantine platemail, for example).

Since this kind of project would likely attract people interested in showing off their work to others (fortress-wise, anyway), I don't think that there would be much of an issue. Adventurers could keep the world for as long as they wanted to, really, since they wouldn't be adding fortresses and such to it.

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 05:14:14 pm »

After a world is put up, we may have to have a few mods crawl through the Legends and make a list of any artifacts, megabeasts, and interesting stuff in that world, then post that in the description of the world.

Also, if a person wants to keep a world longer than the allotted time, then just copy the world and check it back in.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »

Isn't that just the succession games we do already?

I'd rather have traditional fort mode on the same map at the same time, but that won't happen for another 5 years.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 05:19:53 pm »

I'd rather have traditional fort mode on the same map at the same time, but that won't happen for another 5 years.

Well, yes. But this is automatic and doesn't require preorganization.

Oh, and Fixed:

Trust me on this, Toady one has been Adamant on that point. He literally turns into an Adamantine Golem when it's brought up.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:51 pm »

Heh.

I see what you did there.  ;)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »

2. What happens when a world is completely filled up? A Pocket sized world doesnt offer much space to build...

Adventurer mode heaven! :D

I'm thinking of starting a community game where we do that to a pocket world. The adventure in it.

Hey, does anyone know how to type with boxing gloves on?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 08:31:20 pm »

I offered Tahin $100 an hour to learn how and then program this code. He refused, because he is the world's worst businessman.

No, I will not be making that offer for anyone else.
However, I will donate $50 to toady one for whomever writes the code.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 12:34:01 am »

I made a thread about another idea on multiplayer a while ago:
I'm sure this isn't probable with the current Dwarf Fortress, but I think it could  be done in next versions.
Please hear me out, I'm not a retard when it comes to computers.

I've seen the utilities which let you change some files and select dwarves, so I thought of this for a sort of "multiplayer ish" ability.
Here's how it would work: In singleplayer dwarf fortress mode, you get some soldiers you want to attack someone, put them in a room/area, then use some sort of "invader selection" to select them all. The invader selection, once all the soldiers and animals you want to include are selected, creates a file which has the soldiers skills, weapons, etc in it.

You can take this file and send it to friends, who download it and put it in a folder called "downloaded invasions" or something. When you feel your fort is ready, you go in game and "activate" your friends invaders from a menu. THen your friends army appears somewhere and attacks you.

It's not really active multiplayer, but it would be fun trying to siege your friends base like this.
It could also let people mod in their own sieges, if they can modify the "invader" file.

Thoughts? Would this be remotely possible?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 03:23:25 am »

heh, people just reposted a bunch of stuff that was in my original block of text on the first page. oh well, big posts are intimidating to read, i guess.

i really like slappy mooses idea with the player armies. i can see this working as creating civilization entities during your play that can go invade later forts that other players create. i would imagine that having persistant forts that exist as a world entity after you leave them, in the same way as a retired adventurer, would do this pretty easily. you just have to really annoy the civilization your last fort was a part of, and its military will show up as a siege.

there is also a big precedent for this sort of multiplayer type sharing in roguelikes. in games like nethack people post all their "bones" files, which are files containing all the details, corpses and items of their dead adventurers. you can then find the bodies of countless players before you as you wander the underground.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 08:37:31 am »

HOW DARE YOU

THIS IS AN ENTIRELY REASONABLE AND PRACTICAL SUGGESTION FOR "MULTIPLAYER" IN DWARF FORTRESS WITH A WELL THOUGHT OUT AND REASONED PREMISE

Obviously, the hardest part about it would be the checkout system. It'd take a while for people to be bored of worlds before re-uploading them and whatnot, but I actually rather like this idea. It'd also be a welcome feature for people running succession forts, as it'd be an easy way to pass the file around, and having a system of backups stored remotely means it'd be easy to start again should someone fail on their turn or disappear.

And, in the case of succession fortresses, you could allow password protection, to ensure that the file is available to the next person in the line up.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »

How is this project doing?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »

I give this my support.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 06:45:36 pm »

This is succession with turns measured in forts and passing on the world, rather than turns measured in years and passing on the fort. The closest thing to this right now that I can think of is the world of traps and attractions.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6