Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Yahtzee loves Lets Play, how long before he discovers boatmurdered  (Read 13658 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yahtzee loves Lets Play, how long before he discovers boatmurdered
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »

DF might not be complete...yet I've played it more then 'complete' $50+ games that had teams who spent years making them.  That says something..that says a LOT.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »

Of course Yahtzee knows of Let's Play, and probably in turn knows about Boatmurdered. He is a 'goon' or SomethingAwful forums member.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 06:38:52 pm »

I think the Zero-Punctuation style of narration suits DF quite well, especially with all the f'ed up things that naturally happen in the game (Imagine Yahtzee's little caricatures as dwarfs).  That said, I don't think DF is the right kind of game for Zero-Punctuation.  It'd be like Yahtzee reviewing Scrabble (the board game).  I mean, yes, of course he can do it, but it just wouldn't feel quite in the same vein as his other works.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 06:58:31 pm »

I believe Yahtzee did at some point discover Boatmurdered, and decided the game was a little too complex and clunky for his tastes. But it was a fair while ago, my memory isn't the best and of course I didn't know much about DF or Yahtzee at the time. So take it with a grain of salt.

At any rate when DF becomes a little more polished it shall become a thing of high praise.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 07:09:23 pm »

Lookingtthough his archives,I think you saw someone else. He hasn't found it yet.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 05:55:17 am »

Him reviewing/mentioning DF wold surely give huge amounts of publicity. That would be a good thing... I think... On the other hand Yahtzee fanbois might ruin the community.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:55:19 am »

Him reviewing/mentioning DF wold surely give huge amounts of publicity. That would be a good thing... I think... On the other hand Yahtzee fanbois might ruin the community.

"The sooner you stop listening to the whining fans the happier you'll be."
~Yahtzee

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:50 am »

There's no such thing as bad publicity.
!!&!!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 09:36:57 am »

I doubt that.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 09:41:27 am »

I'm with Ampersand on this one.  More fans means more churn in the "WHY IS MY CAT INJURED" threads, but it also means more donations for Toady.  Also, for every hundred ten thousand idiots, you get another 0x517A5D who decides to do some memory hacking and write a cool DF utility. 

You also bring DF closer to the day where a major studio decides to pay Toady a real programmer's salary and assign him a team of Soap Makers junior programmers.  Or at least offers Toady a duffel bag full of fifty-dollar bills for a piece of the DF pie.  Perhaps a studio would be willing to buy the license to the DF universe and create Slaves to Armok: God Of Blood / Chapter III: World of Dorfcrafts.  It's Toady's decision, but more publicity means more options, and a greater number of profitable options that will let him eat something other than Dwarven Ramen Biscuit [3] for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Bring 'em on!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:38 am »

Eugh...

Mainstream gamers... :P

Also, I thought Toady have said no to all publishers that wanted to 'publish' his game? Since he don't think it's finished, (and he's pleasuring from it), I assume?

That means we need to wait for DF v. 1.00.00, and that means... either 28 years later, or an E.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:45 am »

I think if I were Toady I'd refuse most of the studios, too.  But I think it's good for them to contact him, and for him to have the option to turn his fun project into a profitable (and probably award-winning) product when he decides it's ready.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Jakkarra

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:16 am »

I doubt that.

i disagree, virtually ANY publicity is good, for example;

Micheal jackson+Molestation allegations= a few more fans (but ill concede, it did slightly screw him in the end)

Paris hilton (bitch) + sex tape= Moar ppl liking it her.

need i continue?

Also, its up to toady what he does, he may not want to become a major programmer, (although i believe he probably does).

anyway, i doubt yahtzee will even have time to play dwarf fortress, seeing as he has a full-time contract with The escapist.

anyway, if we want publicity, someone make a flash animation and post it On some site, i would myself, but im constantly busy. (and im still learning flash)

Love, jakkarra

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 11:09:58 am »

Maybe Toady should just make a Sex video.
!!&!!

Jakkarra

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:49 am »

Maybe Toady should just make a Sex video.

I want this as my newest sig

all mine..... (if thats OK)

Kthnxbai, jakkarra
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4