Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Leafy Request:  (Read 1107 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
A Leafy Request:
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:31 am »

As evidenced by my supremely low post count, I'm a forum Migrant, so apologies if I'm duplicating a post.  I did a quick search and found nothing, at least.

I was inspired by another post, and was wondering if it would be possible to mod up a new above-ground shrub:  Kudzu.

I'm not at my Fortress computer at the moment so I can't check the files, but I'm thinking that kudzu would have an insanely fast growth rate, be above-ground only, and have essentially no economic value at all.  Possibly it could be counted as a tree that produces no lumber, so it would also interfere with caravans and migrants.  I'm envisioning a constant battle where Plant Gatherers (or woodcutters, if it's treeform..) have to spend every waking moment uprooting the stuff, to prevent it from utterly overwhelming the entire surface.   

Of course, the usual dwarfen solution applies:  kill it with fire...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: A Leafy Request:
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:59:56 am »

Unfourtunately, you can't kill trees with FIYA although that would be preety neat.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:12:15 pm »

yeah, not in this version of the game anyway.  I believe I remember reading that it's a forthcoming fix. 

I know that boulders will impede wagons, so I'm hoping there's a flag somewhere that will allow me to set a shrub as an impassable barrier.  It would be acceptable to have the shrub block only wagon traffic, but ideally I'd like it to block foot traffic as well -- how awesome/embarrassing would it be to be unable to leave your fortress because you've been sieged by A PLANT?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:17:49 pm »

At the moment you could set it to be a tree in order to block wagons, but then you couldn't have it grow that fast and it would produce wood. If you set it as a shrub, however, then you can have it grow fast and it won't produce wood, but it will not block movement. At the moment you have to choose one of the two. I guess that you could have two varieties of kudzu, one that is a plant and one that is a tree, but hardcodedness currently interferes with your mighty vision.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »

BLAST YOU, CODE! 

Now my dream of an invading army of Kudzu Monkies is crushed.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:50:33 pm »

a fast growing plant will however compete with trees, eventually taking over the whole map if trees are cut down but they are not controlled. This can happen already over many years if you cut down many trees without plant gathering.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

This is perfect.  Actual kudzu will choke out trees, and drag down power lines. 

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »

are we able to give any shrubs/trees abilities/properties beyond the normal scope of the plants?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:08 pm »

I poked around a little bit, but I'm still too noobish.  I've found files for the various plants, but I believe that they're "material" files which wouldn't be the growing plant, instead it would be the part that your dorfs are hauling to the stockpile. 

I haven't found anything that would allow me to make plants do anything cool weird, like.. grow super-fast, or cause slashing damage to units walking through it (sawgrass, anyone?), or attack victims with whipvines/poison/thorns. 

Edit:  Also, I recently had the misfortune of stirring up a pot of fire imps.  After the world finished burning down, the trees had not burned (as expected) but as far as I can tell, all the bushes were still there too..  apparently only the "grass" vegetation will burn.  :(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:41:17 pm by Mount »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:36:39 pm »

There are a few tags in the plant files that are thought to have some effect upon wild ones as well. These tags consist of the all of the season tags, such as [SUMMER] and [AUTUMN]. The [GROWDUR:?] tag is also believed to have an effect upon plants. [CLUSTERSIZE:?] is thought to be possible the amount gathered via herbalism, and the [FREQUENCY:?] tag is thought to be the percentage chance of gathering plants from wild plants via herbalism.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »

That makes me think... the Growdur tag chages the duration of growth. 300, I believe is a standard season. Now lower that and.... oh and make sure, that you make the plant all but useless (inedible, no thread, no extract). Then that would be the ultimate plant.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:18:55 pm »

Actually, 1008 is a standard season.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 03:58:23 pm »

Apparently I've just not been looking at the correct file?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »

Apparently I've just not been looking at the correct file?

matgloss_plant.txt?

I can't see where else you would be looking  :-\

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:51:18 am »

I did say I was a noob...  ;D

I note that there's a request for cave kudzu-mold in the Underground Diversity thread, so I guess the easiest thing to do is just be patient, and mod that to be aboveground later. :)