Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do you think ( a tileset )?  (Read 8237 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you think ( a tileset )?
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:21:05 pm »

So, new to DF; this game is awesome.  Of course, I can't be content with just playing it, so I am taking a shot at a tile/graphics set.

Just wanted to know what people think about it so far (especially the font).  The pics are a little blurry because of the host, but you get the idea.

Tileset ( clearer on Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickman-gallery/3395431353/ )
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Screens
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:14:00 am by LordZorintrhox »
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:43:06 pm »

Whoa, I REALLY like that typeface. Did you create that from scratch? Very cool work. I'll definitely be DLing that once you're done with it.

Rochndil, who is already working on a character set...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:15 am »

Yes, the typeface is all me, but it has roots in the Germanic alphabet (futhork and the like) and stuff I've done for RPG campaigns.

I forgot to mention: The Mayday Green pack is my place holder set at the moment: not a shread of it would be in a release, EXCEPT perhaps some of the raw files, like the tweak that makes all stone economic.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think ( a tileset )?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:10:33 pm »

The tweak which makes all stone economic is by Sean Mirrsen, in case you feel like giving a credit :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:33:43 pm »

But of course.

I make games, too

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »

More screens of the progress thus far:

I have just enough left over tiles to make extra tiles for rough walls and such exclusively.  Actually, I have quite a few, but I'm saving a bunch for things I've missed.  The altered color palette still needs tweaking, though.

I make games, too

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:25:52 am »

I agree that the font is epic. I tend not to use tilesets due to the fps though...

moetzger

• Bay Watcher
  • df noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:17:09 am »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 04:56:54 am »

Font is really nice. I do not know if I would like to look at it for hours in row but it is ideal for screenshots.

I would suggest removing one tile - the one that shows on background of menu (it seems strange and dirty) - and changing one used for some stone layers - the one with top and bottom border (strange for vertical lines)
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 08:59:22 am »

You should use PNG rather than JPEG for your screenshots, they'll be much clearer.

I would probably use this if you released a version that didn't have the "noise" around the letters and in the blank tile.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:49 am »

Really?  No one is feeling the gritty background?  It was the only solution I liked for having the rough floor tiles look acceptable in either text or as terrain when the style adopted in the stock Mayday Green mod is used.  Mainly, I like it because

-it gives the text some "rough hewn" flavor.
-it means I can use the space character for a few more things if need be.
-the undiscovered soil isn't matte black, it has some character.

Now, the weird thing is that the MENUS use the space filler with the foreground color set to light grey, so there is grit.  BUT, the status and other full screen menus use the foreground color set to BLACK, so there isn't any grit.

Since there seems to be an issue, any released version would include both gritty and non-gritty versions.  Should grit remain, however, on the punctuation that makes up the rough floor?

Yeah, the screens don't come out very good, even when I use PNG.  Flickr resizes some pictures, so I'll have to crop more on the next batch.

I make games, too

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:31 am »

Yeah, the screens don't come out very good, even when I use PNG.  Flickr resizes some pictures, so I'll have to crop more on the next batch.

You could try Tinypic.  I'm not positive but I think their resizing policy might be a bit more generous.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:05:30 am »

HAHA, you though I had given up like so many before, BUT NAY, NAY I SAY!!!

So yeah, packed this thing away for a while, then picked it up again, and I am actively developing it.  Redid the whole thing from scratch, vanilla DF Curses as a place holder for glyphs not yet completed.  I am trying a different strategy this time: make a more-or-less vanilla tileset, with few tricks and such, then improve by iteration (also gives me time to completely research every trick in previous tilesets to give credit where it is due).

Kept the feel of the first while giving it a cohesive look and style, plus some carefully varied stroke sizes to make slim letters fill more space, thus dealing with the readability issue to some degree.  It is a real treat to read text in, believe me.

This time around, all pictographic symbols are rendered from the strict "top down" perspective, as that is what the interface is driving at.  This also more or less solves the barrels/percent sign/meals issue, though you need some imagination to see this glyph as a plate with food on it...

I have developed one cool trick with trees that I haven't seen yet, but is still in testing and needs a raw mod to support it.  Teaser info is that through a cunning combination of top-down perspective, the tried-and-true blackout silhouettes, colored pixels in the tileset, and raw modification, trees actually look good and make sense visually.*  To the point where you don't quite notice the tops of the trees are the same as a block pile...

But I digress:

Screenies later.

*And spatially, depending on what geometry for the DF world you ascribe to.  If one is conceptualizing the world as most table-top RPGs do, then a grid square is 2m x 2m x 2m, which could hold a whole tree if it takes up two cubes stacked atop one another, one bed, as well as so many earrings it might as well be infinite.  My solution assumes this (attempts not to start a dwarfometry flame war).

LordZorintrhox screams: "I need Magenta Pixels!"

I make games, too

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:22 pm »

So some updates. 

The typeface itself in action, along with my tinkered color scheme.

Barrels, crates, some of the soil/stone tiles in action.

The wall tiles in action.  Nothing no one has done before, but a nice set nonetheless.

I make games, too

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:37 am »

looks great, however, I think I'm gonna inverse the barrel on my copy and edit the raws, as I don't want flashing pumps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4