Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making HFS even more deadly  (Read 1443 times)

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making HFS even more deadly
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:02 pm »

Some problems with digging Too Deep is that you encounter poisonous air or exploding gas pockets.
I'm adding a new kind of stone that melts at 0 and boils at 1, with the [DEEP] tag.
Will this make a fireball when mined, and will it keep going or consume itself? Also, will it be found around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MATGLOSS_STONE:GAS POCKET]
[NAME:explosive gas pocket][COLOR:4:7:0][TILE:156]
[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:1]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'&']
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:CLUSTER:??]
[VALUE:0]
Also, post some ideas to make mining HFS more dangerous.
Edit: What do I need to do to put it at a deep igneous stone layer?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:05:43 pm by Emperor Iones »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Making HFS even more deadly
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:28:57 pm »

it will sublimate away when mined, I'm not sure if this will harm dwarves or not (I'm not sure if vaporized material is harmful by default or if it's actually the temperature of boiling ____ that hurts dwarves, I'd guess it's the temperature and since your rock won't be hot it won't hurt, but why not test it with regular rocks). I'm not sure if the tag [FIXED_TEMP:#] works on stone layers/clusters/watever, but it might do the trick. although it might make the stone show up as warm and defeat the purpose... dunno.

As for DEEP, no idea. It may only make it form around HFS? if you wanted it to show up in the deeps you could just use one of the environment tags, like [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:CLUSTER:##] (which is often all the deeper levels)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:35:33 pm by AncientEnemy »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »

I like that idea. Even if it doesn't harm them, it ought to give them the "choked on smoke underground" thought, right? You should also make that a much more serious negative thought. Tantrum spirals are the most entertaining kind of fun.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:07:02 pm »

come to think of it you'd probably get more useful info by moving this to the modding forum :)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:42:34 pm »

Some problems with digging Too Deep is that you encounter poisonous air or exploding gas pockets.
I'm adding a new kind of stone that melts at 0 and boils at 1, with the [DEEP] tag.
Will this make a fireball when mined, and will it keep going or consume itself? Also, will it be found around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, post some ideas to make mining HFS more dangerous.

It will expand into clouds of freezing gas, killing the dwarf that mined it. It will also appear instead of Hidden Fun Stone, rather than being found around it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:38:00 am »

The idea is somewhat moot since...

"You have struck Explosive Gas Pocket!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:02 am »

Something that you could do would be to make it's ingame name, color, and tile match those of adamantine exactly. Then you wouldn't be able to tell if it was explosive or not until you mined into it. I have done the same thing in my game except I used every metamorphic rock with clusters of one spaced throughout them that look exactly the same.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »

I know the [DEEP] tag keeps certain metals from showing up with caravans, but on stone it makes it replace adamantine? Huh.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 03:28:47 am »

I know the [DEEP] tag keeps certain metals from showing up with caravans, but on stone it makes it replace adamantine? Huh.

Just set it to appear in clusters within adamantine. Look in the gem matgloss for hints.