Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spriting?  (Read 2072 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Spriting?
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:23 am »

There must be some spriters among us, I love spriting.
I mainly do sprites for Cortex Command, any other sprites I've done are very very old and don't reflect my skill properly.
Here's my latest CC spritesheet:

So yeah, post your own sprites, comment on others, etc.

Edited out most of the sheet and left two of the units there, I'm making this for someone and I wouldn't want him mad because I show some stuff from his mod before it was done...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:56:14 am by ILikePie »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: Spriting?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:19:12 am »

I believe datarealms isn't a proper image uploading website.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:40:26 am »

Huh? Shows up fine on my computer, I'll change to Imageshack...

Edit:
Done, should work now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:42:22 am by ILikePie »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:47:10 am »

Nice work! Good pixel art is tricky. My only suggestion is that the creature is a bit low-contrast, which makes it different to make out what the different parts are. It would probably work better if the image was zoomed in a few times, though.

I do my work in Blender, then render and save the frames out. I work better in 3D even though my projects are all 2D. So these aren't pixel art.

These are a big bigger than the character would appear in-game, and of course the backdrop wouldn't be present.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »

An abandoned Wesnoth unit:

Guess what game these are for:

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

FoboslC

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:29 pm »

There must be some spriters among us, I love spriting.
I mainly do sprites for Cortex Command, any other sprites I've done are very very old and don't reflect my skill properly.
Here's my latest CC spritesheet:

So yeah, post your own sprites, comment on others, etc.

Edited out most of the sheet and left two of the units there, I'm making this for someone and I wouldn't want him mad because I show some stuff from his mod before it was done...
Thats not a spritesheet.
Thats a picture of assembled unit.
Here what the sprite sheet is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:45 pm »

Yeah, that... I just don't want this someone to get mad...

@Derakon: Nice stuff! When designing art for a game, I want my art to fit in as much as possible with existing art. Also when it comes to CC I need the limbs to work together well, to do this I give them brighter outlines around the area they attach to the body so they don't look like they were "stuck on" to the body and don't have anything to do with it. (I don't think I've achieved this fully yet though)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:54:29 pm by ILikePie »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:59:52 pm »

FoboslC: You assume of course that he's using some kind of armature/skeleton to do animating. It's entirely possible his animations are drawn frame-by-frame instead. The two approaches have their advantages; the former lets you draw fewer things, but requires that you animate them in-program, while the latter gives you more freedom in what you can make your sprites do, but requires more drawing.

This is part of why I like the "make a 3D model then render it to 2D" approach, since it combines the advantages of both pixel-art approaches. Of course, it also somewhat limits what you can do stylistically.

ILikePie: Thanks! I know what you mean with fitting with existing styles.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:02 pm »

FoboslC: You assume of course that he's using some kind of armature/skeleton to do animating. It's entirely possible his animations are drawn frame-by-frame instead. The two approaches have their advantages; the former lets you draw fewer things, but requires that you animate them in-program, while the latter gives you more freedom in what you can make your sprites do, but requires more drawing.
I don't think you understand what he means, in CC every limb is animated separately and then finally assembled. I did have a sheet of more units, the units I'm showing's limbs and a few other things, but I:

Now lets get back on topic...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:28:55 pm »

I used to "do" some pixel art. But I haven't in the past couple of years.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:00 pm »

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned