Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-sparring military dwarves  (Read 1505 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Non-sparring military dwarves
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:33:32 pm »

I don't get why my dwarves stopped sparring.  The squad is standing down and the barracks are 6x8, but they seem to prefer to stay in their rooms or in the dining hall.  Is there anything I can do to make them start sparring again?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Non-sparring military dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »

Don't put them in squads, they'll always follow their squad leader around, so when he feels like drinking, they all feel like following him. :P

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:31 pm »

If a dwarf has an injury to spine or neck, he'll never spar again. If the squad leader has such an injury, what Smew said.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:52 am »

oh, if squad leader has an injury, then the rest of his squad NEVER SPARS? damn, i need to go reorganize my military a bit now. this may explain things.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:03:31 pm »

Nah, it's a really new military and nobody has any injuries yet.  Also, they won't spar even if they all have just the Soldier job active.  It's really weird, as far as I can tell there's no reason for them not to spar.  Even when I disactivate them and cycle in a different squad they won't spar.  Grr.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28:48 pm »

strange because did you tried of make squad for each dwarf of your military because I do that nd they aways spar t the point that my whole fortress is full of their stuff and they never pick it up and the most injured dwarf that I have in my fortress is a axe dwarf that have a red lug injury but I dont know how it got it because when I noticed the wound it ws after a orc invasion while he was sparring and the bad ass bastard has living for 3 years whit that wound and he managed to take down a lot of orcs
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:44 pm »

Not to state the obvious but are they on duty?
Only the off-duty dwarves will spar.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »

Not to state the obvious but are they on duty?
Only the off-duty dwarves will spar.
Yeah, I quadruple-checked.  It's annoying because this way I can't just station them in the barracks.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:10 pm »

I've been nerd-sniped.

Upload your save file somewhere and post the link.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:52:16 am »

Military dwarves don't spar every chance they get, and their rates will vary. Some individual dwarves hardly ever spar, others do it constantly. Personally I have all my dwarves in individual squads, and only put them in squads when I'm deploying them in dangerous areas where I don't want them going alone.

Placing dwarves in squads can also be useful when you want to assign an option (like harass animals or on/off-duty) to many of them at once, or when you want to station them all or put them all on a patrol. Giving an order to a squad of 7 dwarves will give all of them that order, even after they've been removed from the squad and are individual soldiers again. Giving an order and then splitting them up into 1-dwarf squads can be very useful if you want all available units to get to an area ASAP, like when a bunch of goblins just ambushed your legendary appraiser or what-have-you.

Back to your problem though, though my initial advice is that maybe they're all just taking a break (it won't say they're taking a break, it normally just says 'Soldier' for their current job), but also double-check that the barracks is still functional. If they're off-duty, uninjured, there's a barracks, --and they aren't marksdwarves--, there's no reason they shouldn't be sparring every now and then. Markdwarves use archery ranges and wooden or bone bolt to practice -- unless they're bugged (usually from holding a sock or extra pair of leggings or whatever in one hand-- tell them to Dump the item and they should get back on track).

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »

...unless they're bugged (usually from holding a sock or extra pair of leggings or whatever in one hand-- tell them to Dump the item and they should get back on track).
...you know, that might actually be the problem.  I've been telling my dwarves to fight unarmed, to train up wrestling; I'll check they're not still carrying around their axes or anything.  Otherwise I'll post the file and see if any of ya'll can figure it out.

Edit: uh, ok, that's not it.  Save is here
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:39:30 pm by Remalle »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »

It's the stockpiles. As soon I removed those stockpiles in your barracks they were sparring again. BTW you're about 15 seconds away from getting ambushed by a squad with one marksgoblin and 4 or 5 wrestlers.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 02:19:43 pm »

It's the stockpiles. As soon I removed those stockpiles in your barracks they were sparring again.
That's odd.  I've had them sparring even without the stockpiles.  Thanks for the info.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:55:53 pm »

hmm i cant use youre save. it says something about mouth grasp but i have done the cat fix. i also tried without so have you moded any other things?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!