Finally... > Life Advice

Generally Hated, and fun!

(1/8) > >>

Skelodwarf:
Well, in light of my being generally hated, I'm quite looking forward to April Fools, as it is generally a day on which people learn to dislike me even more!

I'm thinking of just being generally kind, nice, and well mannered all day long. Holding doors and such, giving helpful pieces to advise to those who want it. And being rather chivalrous, all that saucy jazz.

Other then the fact that abusing my general personality like this is rather hard for me, I still want to do it. Any other suggestions from people?

This is based in a highschool environment.

Zai:
So you're just going to be nice in every possible way? If people respond well to it (as they should), then you should probably do stuff like that as often as you are comfortable with.

But don't give advice to people who don't ask you for it.

soup_alex:
Don't find an excuse to be a do-gooder; if you're capable of doing one selfless thing, then why not keep at it, as Zai describes?

Skel, are you hated? I do not know. I do not hate you. As someone who doesn't hate you, and doesn't see evidence that you are hated, this looks like the kind of self-deprecation I am all-too familiar with, that can essentially be summarised as fishing for compliments.

I'm worried that, with tomorrow (today) being what it is, your attempts to be of more-than-average-level-helpful to all and sundry may be met with extreme suspicion.

I'd also like to echo Zai's wise advice (heh!) to not go about offering advice that isn't solicited. That said, I am feeling like I could use some advice, myself (though not from a high-schooler! :P)

Nonetheless, good luck with being an altruist, should you decide to go ahead with it (and don't be surprised when people don't automatically stop being selfish cockbags)

Skelodwarf:
Trust me, I'm not fishing for compliments. I just have a rather abrasive and critical (I'm rather good at finding flaws in... well, anything! [That I can understand] I'm not so great at keeping my mouth shut) personality that tends to rub people the wrong way.

And I know not to give advice where I'm not wanted, but this is highschool, and I'm ahead of most of the class (Being held back for reasons other then intelligence does that) so If I can pull off the subtle hints and tips without ego, it should work.

As to the quite obvious "If it works, just keep doing it" thing, It's like lying to me, (Something I suck at and detest) and I can't keep up a charade.

You all probably remember being a teenaged hormonal being who's every move is regulated my emotion, so this MIGHT make some modicum of sense to all you oldies.

Also: Suspicion, I'm not too worried about this. I believe the phrase is (not) "Eat the cake while you can." Confused? Yes! Suspicious? Nope.

Also, suspicion requires intelligence and the ability to note something amiss. (And reason to care >:3 )

And as I seem to just be rambling from conscious thought to conscious thought: Might as well mention this.

Is it rude/evil/mean/cruel/bad to take advantage of this one day of civility to try and win back a friend? (Note: This wouldn't be me trying to trick someone into being my friend for a day, and then letting them down and pissing them off the next day [I do that enough already], this would be using the one day of niceness to hopefully put myself on better standings to undoubtedly let them down on a later date)

I'll probably post the entire story in a different thread later, just for the giggles of HSDrama.

soup_alex:

--- Quote from: Skelodwarf on March 31, 2009, 08:25:32 pm ---Is it rude/evil/mean/cruel/bad to take advantage of this one day of civility to try and win back a friend?
--- End quote ---
No. But what makes today so important?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version