Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31087 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:15:53 pm »

Ash specifically from Peat and Lignite as they produce a more usable amount of ash, as in more left over and easier to gather (think how much Peat or Lignite you need to produce the same amount of high quality coke as you would from Bituminous, more raw product at the beginning equals more waste product at the end. Say you have a Magma Smelter and you need to make 30 units of Coke for steal making you would need 10 units of Bituminous or 15 units of Lignite or ? of Peat. What do the extra 5 units of Lignite turn into? Ash. It isn't that you don't get Ash (and clincker, oops gave myself away there as a minor blacksmith) from bituminous just that you get less of it.).

If the Bituminous reaction produces a negligible amount of ash then the Lignite should produce a minor but usable amount (either [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_MATGLOSS] or [PRODUCT:50:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_MATGLOSS]). Of course you could do something like [PRODUCT:25 or 10:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_MATGLOSS] for Bituminous. To keep it simple though just have it produce regular ash (cut down on adding new entries)

Looking through the raws I notice that the smelt metal reaction is hard coded so no adding slag to it.

Sandstone to Glass might also be an interesting reaction.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:04:55 am »

Sorry for the late reply, Sunshaker!

You make a convincing argument, and quite reasonable. While it may introduce some issues with waste management, those issues SHOULD exist regardless. I'll definitely see about adding some ash and flyash results to the reactions.

On a different tack, you CAN change the default smelting reactions, it just takes a little bit of work.

1. Remove the ORE:whatever from the ore definition file (matgloss_stone_mineral).
2. Create a reaction in reaction_standard (or make your own file) that does the same thing, using that ore as the primary reagent.
3. Since you now have control over the reaction, you can mod it any way you want - add exotic reagents, up the fuel requirement, produce piles of waste, maybe some exotic rare spawn.

You can put ALMOST anything onto the in or out side of a reaction, but some are tricky. The best strategy is to find someone who's done it before, and steal their code.

Rochndil, who only steals from the best...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:04 pm »

On your first page you stated that you borrow elements from Sean Mirresns *Metal Mod* I believe you are refering to his Minerals Mod? I put out a *Metal Mod* almsot a year ago now. (Did you incorperate elements from that? Or did you just mistakenly label his minerals mod? lol) Just don't want people to get too confused here.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:07 pm »

Actually I figured out another way to do it...

Add [METAL_ORE:SLAG:100] to every mineral that will smelt to a metal and [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SLAG] to every reaction that uses flux or would have a slag type waste product. Then add the following to your metals file:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:SLAG]
[NAME:slag][ADJ:slag][COLOR:0:7:1]
[VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:400]
[MELTING_POINT:10768]
[BOILING_POINT:12150]
[BRITTLE] <--- This makes it mostly or totally useless (not sure if you can build with it or not, but you can't make any items from it). And yes I'm dreading a Noble that loves SLAG and mandates the production of SLAG items...
[SOLID_DENSITY:2000]

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:44 am »

Good catch T-II, my error. I have a copy of your mod in my archive, but I haven't (that I recall) done anything with any of the content. Since you've reminded me of it, I'll take a look and see if there's anything that I may have lifted accidentally, but I don't THINK so.

I'm busy working on my taxes (oh joy) and running a test fort ATM Sunshaker, but I appreciate your suggestion and will definitely consider it when I get back to messing with the raws.

Rochndil, multitasking as always...

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 12:54:21 pm »

don't forget that when testing ores and rocks you can always make magical no input reactions to make raw ore that you can then smelt to see if it works right <.<;; hope i'm not telling you something you already know but i'm sure i am.. can't wait for this mod though, keep up the good work.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 03:56:30 pm »

Annnd, back to work!

Taxes done, and I just finished an extended test game, which yielded some surprising (and disappointing) results.

On the up side, I discovered that I had misinterpreted the results of some earlier tests. The skulls-to-flux reaction DOES work with any skull, though it also throws an error in the log. Since that error doesn't seem to hurt anything, I'm just going to acknowledge-and-ignore it.

Unfortunately, I had mis-remembered the glass production process, and raw green glass is an END product, not in-progress. Since there's no way (that I can discover) to make a sand-filled bag, my glass-making scheme isn't as successful as I'd thought. Oh well, I'll just add in reactions for windows (which seem to be the next-most-requested) glass items, and leave it at that.

I do have an important question though. Can anybody point me to the "reaction cap" discussion over in FOTF? I've searched there several times, and come up empty. While I know for a fact that it is possible to have SIGNIFICANTLY more than 25 reactions (uncutter/deblocker anybody?), I'd like to know what this supposed cap is and does, and how it's been determined to exist.

The next thing I plan to add is an expansion of phase 1, as suggested by Sunshaker. I'll add waste products to the smelter reactions, some of which are actually somewhat useful. I'm still pondering some of the mechanics, and to really control it logically I'd need to create a whole new class of reactions, which brings me back to that cap issue.

I've been eyeballing character sets off and on for a while too, ramping up for phase 2. I've already extracted the raws data, and started the spreadsheet design for this part of the project. The final character set will probably be a deranged hybrid of Flying Mage, Shadow Lord, and whoever else doesn't run away fast enough. I'm an equal-opportunity IP appropriator. :)

Rochndil, off to make a mess in the kitchen...

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 08:23:04 am »

i'm not fully knowing of the cap but i THINK its a limit per reaction file <.<; though i could be wrong. and i can't wait for this mod! keep up the good work.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 12:43:14 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement, NN. I've actually gotten a little work done. I added a clear glass vial reaction (don't need windows, since they can be made from cut glass gems), and put in the waste products (slag and flyash), and reactions to DO something with them. Now I just need to assign them to all the smelting and coke reactions (proportionately) and run a full game to test everything. Assuming it all works properly, that will finally be the end of phase 1.

Rochndil, looking forward to getting to play again for a bit...

Pyrofyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »

Ouch, what a blow to the balls, I read "MMO - " and though this would be a Massively Multiplayer Online game :[

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »

That's exactly why I settled on this name, I love the power of misdirection. :)

'Sides, I'd hate turning DF into an actual MMO (as if I could), I can't stand the things myself.

Regardless, progress has been good. I thought I had run into a bug of my own creation, but it seems to be quite external to my own mod, which makes me happier. As others have noted, there is no job listed at the Jewelry Workshop to cut Raw Clear Glass, though Raw Green Glass works just fine. Go figure. If you encounter this yourself, you can still force the job in with the manager.

I'm updating my notes and will also update the lead post. The main thing I added (which should close out phase 1) this time around was the waste system:
 - Nearly all smelter reactions produce some type of ash as a waste product.
 - Ideally, the fuel source would determine the ash type generated, but as that's impractical, most reactions generate flyash (coal ash).
 - Metal smelting (not alloying, generally) reactions also produce slag.
 - Flyash and slag can be further smelted into Crete blocks - which can be used for building.

I was surprised (and pleased) at how quickly my bar/block stockpile filled up with junk bars of ash and slag. Not quite what the mine tailings SHOULD be, but that would be a bit too much probably.

I've got one or two more small things to test in my dev game now, and then I'll be compiling layer/mineral/ore data and playing mix-and-match tilesets for phase 2.

Thanks for the continued support folks, I hope that it'll be worth the wait.

Rochndil, who has about 15 tilesets printed out for easy comparison...

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 09:46:36 pm »

I shall have to look at this more closely later.

I have a fantasy material request based on something said in the Aboveground Diversity thread: Solid lightning.

The way I have it modded into my world, you find Thunderstones(and once I figure out how, I'll make them appear mostly near silver).  Added a Smelter reaction to condense three Thunderstones into one bar of Solid Lightning, which is extremely light, worthless for armor(actually increases the damage you take if you're wearing protective gear made of it), but extremely good for weapons.

I need to make it rarer, but the fantasy idea of solid elemental stones was just too cool.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »

From the looks of things, this will be a very exciting mod. *Is also a realism fan*

An Idea I had awhile back was to have certain megabeasts, like the Dragon, drop a rare gem upon it's death. "Basically so valuable a gem that they swallowed it so no one can get it", and this gem can be used to create some very powerful metals.

Did something similar to my "Rune Colossus", the once Bronze.

Anticipating the release ^_^
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:49 pm »

The way I have it modded into my world, you find Thunderstones(and once I figure out how, I'll make them appear mostly near silver). 

[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILVER:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 12:05:06 am »

can't wait for this, u don't mind if my hobbits get their hands on this mod?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10