Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31104 times)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 12:34:25 am »

The way I have it modded into my world, you find Thunderstones(and once I figure out how, I'll make them appear mostly near silver). 

[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILVER:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
Excellent, thank-you.

Just one question: can I do that with veins?(because lightning comes in bolts, which resemble veins more than clusters.)

Now I just need to make Adamantine less useful for weapons, so it's only useful for armor.(The general idea of the mod)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 10:45:15 am »

Just one question: can I do that with veins?(because lightning comes in bolts, which resemble veins more than clusters.)

Now I just need to make Adamantine less useful for weapons, so it's only useful for armor.(The general idea of the mod)

Yes you can replace, SMALL_CLUSTER with VEIN, a look through the matgloss_stone_mineral.txt file should give you an idea of the tokens used and how they fit together. The only issue I can see with using vein is that silver comes in veins which might have odd results.

Look in matgloss_metal.txt, find the Adamantine entry and change the value of the [DAMAGE_PERC:#] entry (this is the % of the damage of the base weapon type).

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:13 pm »

The only issue I can see with using vein is that silver comes in veins which might have odd results.

I fail to see a problem with this.

Solid lightning already deals 5x pierce damage(I believe), and I plan on reducing the Adamantine pierce damage when I get around to genning another world(I'd prefer to avoid funky stuff happening in the middle of my game).

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:00 pm »

can't wait for this, u don't mind if my hobbits get their hands on this mod?

Not at all, as long as proper credit is given anyone is welcome to build on this.

Rochndil, working on the tileset design now...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:15 pm »

yay! my hobbits will walk with mithril armor

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »

I'll warn you though, mithril DOES spawn, but it's pretty darned rare. And since the metal is tagged [DEEP] it won't be available at embark as bars or worked goods, though it's possible it would be as a stone. You wouldn't believe how many worlds I genned to try and make sure it WAS spawning.

Rochndil, about half-way through the charset selection process...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »

The only issue I can see with using vein is that silver comes in veins which might have odd results.

Lets say the computer generates a vein of 100 silver rocks, you then have the computer try to add in a vein of 100 lightning gems. What do you get? A) 100 silver and 100 lightning gems, B) some combination of 100 mineral squares some silver some lightning gem, C) 100 lighting gems, D) An error in the error log and whatever the computer feels is right (may reset lightning gems to small cluster or single stones), E) Computer Crashes. I don't know what would happen, thus the odd results possible comment, do let me know how it goes as I'm curious what happens.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 09:02:41 pm »

There is one way to find out...for SCIENCE! :)

Rochndil, who will try it tomorrow, if somebody doesn't beat him to it...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 12:27:52 am »

I'll warn you though, mithril DOES spawn, but it's pretty darned rare. And since the metal is tagged [DEEP] it won't be available at embark as bars or worked goods, though it's possible it would be as a stone. You wouldn't believe how many worlds I genned to try and make sure it WAS spawning.

Rochndil, about half-way through the charset selection process...
don't wrry the dwarves will do the hard mining *cough*moria*cough

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 04:16:30 pm »

Lets say the computer generates a vein of 100 silver rocks, you then have the computer try to add in a vein of 100 lightning gems. What do you get? A) 100 silver and 100 lightning gems, B) some combination of 100 mineral squares some silver some lightning gem, C) 100 lighting gems, D) An error in the error log and whatever the computer feels is right (may reset lightning gems to small cluster or single stones), E) Computer Crashes. I don't know what would happen, thus the odd results possible comment, do let me know how it goes as I'm curious what happens.

Well I was only going to have 70 spawn rate, but now that you're curious, I'll get right on that.

Current fortress is getting a little boring anyway, and maybe I can keep the Mountainhomes from trying to give me TWO SOLID LIGHTNING BATTLE AXES on embark.(I only need one woodcutter.  This usually results in me having about 2500 points that I blow on steel bars.)
Yes, I recognize I could simply make it DEEP, but I'll save that for a later resort.

This also gives me an excuse to finish turning Adamantine into some sort of Ubersilk instead of the crystal that it's represented as now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:25:39 pm by Volfram »

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »

Halle-freaking-lujiah! I'm finally done with the character set. At least I think I am, most of it hasn't actually been tested. Once I got rid of all the un-used accented letters (I strip them from my language files), I had plenty of tiles left to do all the soil/mineral types I wanted and still squeeze the vermin in there. My helm is off to the originator of that particular brilliant idea, whoever did it first.

I also have to say that I have the highest respect for the folks who can do pixel art and actually have it come out looking like something. I've created a number of tiles for this set, and I have to say that my lack of artistic talent is showing. Too bad my daughter isn't around to help me out, she's got MUCH more talent AND experience than I do in this area.

So that's one major chunk of phase 2 done. Now I need to finish designing and filling the spreadsheet with properly-arranged raws data, merge in the Molten Rocks data, and then test it all out again.

Oh, and I'll also need to add a page to the sheet to give credit to all the character set artists I stole stuff from. I've got good notes, so it'll just be a matter of setting up the format and transcribing.

You can almost see the end from here...with a telescope. :)

Rochndil, glad to be finally moving on...

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »

Awesome! I can't wait!

You're doing good here, mate!
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »

I also have to say that I have the highest respect for the folks who can do pixel art and actually have it come out looking like something. I've created a number of tiles for this set, and I have to say that my lack of artistic talent is showing.

If you'll post a list of what character positions you're using along with what they're going to represent, I'd gladly chip in some time making a few character sets. I'm sure there are plenty of others here that would as well.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 08:42:05 am »

Thanks for the offer Broddigan! I'll probably release it as is, but folks are welcome to make additions and modifications as they please. Here's the character set, as it currently exists. Several of the tiles haven't been tested yet, so some changes are likely before I'm completely done with it.

The base for the set is Shadow Lord's excellent remake of Flying Mage, though I reverted a few tiles, and stole individual items from Mayday, Isenhertz, Aesomatica, Autonomous, Belal, Moons, and Ranting Rodent. Full credit for all of these items will be included in the accompanying documentation.

Assuming this works, here's the set:

I only drew a couple of tiles from scratch, the wagon (toy) and some of the soil types (still experimental). I modded the smoothed floor, elven retreat, and roach, and did a ton of tweaking, cleanup, and other diddling with many of the others, like the smoothed walls and vermin tiles. Preliminary testing looks pretty good, but I'm not far enough yet to do a full-scale game test.

Rochndil, !master of pixel graphics...

P.S. This character set will look like absolute crap in-game until all the pointers are re-aligned. I've got lizards for walls! :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:45:15 am by Rochndil »

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »

Aww, different set other than the standard one. Oh well, this mod is much too fun to pass up for simple things like graphical preferences.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10