Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Launcher - would like some testers  (Read 2936 times)

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Launcher - would like some testers
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:17 am »

I went ahead and threw together a simple UI for modifying some of the more common Init file variables and launching the game.  It also has a section for handling some of the more advanced Init functions.  I will run under .NET 2.0.

To DL it from DFFD.  Unzip the file and place it in the DF Directory that you would like to run it from.  Run it.

Some general usage tips.  Changing the Full Screen and Graphics check boxes will change the grid, screen size and tile set fields.  They will show the appropriate values for the combination of the checkboxes.  On the advanced tab to edit a value in the bottom list, double click it.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Launcher - would like some testers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:13:04 am »

Hmm... Wasn't Sean was making something like this?

Emm... I want to test, but I can't play games any more... So sorry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:44 am »

Well, looks like it's working. Too bad I have too little time to make my own lil' launcher, but this one works splendidly. Mine would be more like a swiss army knife thing anyway.

'fcourse, I would have rather preferred the two "run windowed"/"run fullscreen" buttons, but I guess this way is better with regards to managing settings. Good job.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:28:53 pm »

.net? Really? I would have preferred something a bit more... cross-platform. Not everyone uses windows. :( Alas.

Regardless, releasing the source code would be pretty cool. Dwarf Fortress seems to have a fairly high ratio of programmers that play it, and I think they would appreciate it - myself included.

I'm not able to test it, as I'm not on my windows box right now, but I'll check it out later. It's a good idea, and I'm glad someone finally pounced on it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:33:37 pm »

As someone else said in a thread of mine, if it's in C# and under .NET 2.0, it can work on a Mac. On Linux, likely not.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

FoboslC

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »

If I can get sourcecoides, I may be able to re-write it in java.

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

sorry to go on a tangent but when i read the post title i thought you were asking for ideas about a catapult that launches dwarves.

sorry for the interruption.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »

For cross platform compatibility I checked the executable using a tool from Mono and it is flagged that it will work fine and there are no incompatibility.  That means it should run fine under Mac or Linux with Mono 2.4 installed.  It is actually why I specifically compiled it under 2.0 instead of 3.5.

Sorry for personal preferences but java has been taken over by the wolves.  I haven't written anything in it since I was forced to about 8 years ago.  I am not saying that .NET (any language) is any better.  I just can't stand Java since the massive class rework back in version 1.2 (I think?).  Meh /rant

Sean I hope I didn't step on your toes with this.  I can never re-find the post where you said you were working on it.  I know it is out there.  I read it once.  I even mailed you to see if you wanted help after you spoke about time constraints.  But it also seemed like your project was a bit more ambitious.  Handling the mods that people have loaded and structuring the loading of those mods.  This is just a quick and dirty launcher with some of the variables that are used most often available to be modified.

Anyhow any comments on its actual functionality?  I was thinking of adding a Graphics, Sound and Performance tabs that would have a bit more details on those sections.  Also add a bit more validation on the directories.  it seems they can get out of synch some times.

FoboslC

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:35:31 pm »

*sighs*
I didnt said that YOU should write it in java.
I said if I get the source codes I can re-write.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:04:59 pm »

I'm not against someone developing similar stuff. After all, I know all too well I'm too lazy to do that stuff faster, and my project is a lot more advanced anyway. So go ahead.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:21:27 pm »

Well, all of the functions work perfectly

I'd just ask for one thing, auto-entry adding, so it would cross-check vannilla DF and a modded raws directory, and automaticaly write a modbase module based on any entries that are in modded version but aren't in vannilla one.

I know that wouldn't be possible for everything, but it would be great for at least simple entries.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:41:29 pm »

Heh. I tried to add that to Modbase itself, and it didn't work. Seeing as Modbase is more or less discontinued, that won't happen now till FortKnox.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:21:51 pm »

The functionality is good but perhaps the colours need their own tab. And also, a preview square of the colour would be really helpful. Or even a full blown colour selector that inputs the right values for the selected colour.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:13 pm »

when i try to run it, i get an error:
Spoiler: spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

it's in the df folder alongside dwarfort.exe, and if i click continue instead of quit it seems to run fine, but if i click "Load Init" i get an error again. i think it's the same one, haven't compared them line-by-line tho.

EDIT: oops, forgot: i'm running vista.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 09:11:51 am »

when i try to run it, i get an error:
Spoiler: spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

it's in the df folder alongside dwarfort.exe, and if i click continue instead of quit it seems to run fine, but if i click "Load Init" i get an error again. i think it's the same one, haven't compared them line-by-line tho.

EDIT: oops, forgot: i'm running vista.

Try closing ALL other windows except Launcher. Usually works for me.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.