Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Which nobles should I always kill?  (Read 12329 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which nobles should I always kill?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »

Just leave the office of sheriff empty and do not appoint any guards. Royal guards are fine, but not regular guards.

If you have no sheriff and no regular guards, no one will ever be punished for ignoring mandates. Yes, even if you have the hammerer. Without a sheriff and guards the hammerer will just stand around and socialize.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »

Since nobles make mandates based on their likes and personality, you can eventually stop killing them once you get one that doesn't like any material not readily available.

As for the fortress guard, I like to keep them around because they cut tantrums short. Granted, once in a while they'll beat someone instead of locking them up, but at least I almost never get a building destroyed due to a tantruming dwarf now.

And I don't mind immigrants.

Moldath McCustomsOfficial: "Welcome to the glorious hovel of RabbitFlay. What be your name and profession?"

Kivish BootLaunder: "Kivish BootLaunder, sir, the Mountainhome's finest Cheesemaker."

Moldath: *glances at clipboard* "Well, I have a Kivish Bootlaunder on this year's expected immigration list, but it says here you're a mason, not a cheesemaker."

Kivish: "Er.. I think that's an error on your list, I'm certain I-"

Moldath: "Welcome to RabbitFlay, Mason Kivish." *hands him a rock, points off to a large, unfinished tower in the distance*
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »

Hmm...there's an interesting challenge.  Build a customs and immigration post.

Pick a site on some border region, and build a big wall/checkpoint/fort, lots of road, have lots of fortress guard and jails and depots and stockpiles.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

It's nice to hear how you do it, but can anybody actually answer those questions reliably? So I can decide how I'd like to solve the problem / watch my dwarves suffer?

LordChess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:22 pm »

Fulfilling the requests of the nobles is one of the only long-running goal systems in the game. I like to keep it intact, since it's already too easy anymore as it is.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

There's no reason not to kill any noble really, only disadvantage is that a new one willl be coming along shortly. I dont generaly worry about my nobles unless they have mandates I can never fulfill (curse you crystal glass). In my current fortress Im planning on setting up a seperate area with rooms, a farm and watering hole to place all my guard/nobles in. The only non-noble they will have acsess to is a farmer. The rest of my population will be safe on the other side of the air lock :3
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:48 pm »

There's no reason not to kill any noble really, only disadvantage is that a new one willl be coming along shortly. I dont generaly worry about my nobles unless they have mandates I can never fulfill (curse you crystal glass). In my current fortress Im planning on setting up a seperate area with rooms, a farm and watering hole to place all my guard/nobles in. The only non-noble they will have acsess to is a farmer. The rest of my population will be safe on the other side of the air lock :3

Agreed, no noble offers any sort of actual advantage (except maybe the mayor because he still works).  You could say the DM does, but honestly he starts with such low stats in everything that I tend to give my workshops to other dwarves to stop him messing up my legendary weapon/armor smith when making batches of steel equipment for my army.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 10:16:46 pm »

Just train him up, eh?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:16 pm »

Well, I know how to avoid all the crap the nobles give you, by just ignoring the fortress guard.

But the thing is... it's actually nice to have a prison and get some dwarves chained up once in a while. It just looks good. Stylepoints and all, ya know.

So, I'm shamelessly gonna quote my questions again, maybe somebody has a few answers:
When you have a fortress guard they will come and try to arrest some "responsible" dwarf because a mandate hasnt been fulfilled, right?

Will the "criminals" try to defend their freedom and fight, and depending on skill, accidentially turn the whole guard plus hammerer into fine red mist?

What about the bad thoughts from being jailed? I recently read the positive thought from being released is so much better?

What about the nobles? they get bad thoughts from mandates not fulfilled? nothing that cant be cured by a nice dining room and shagchamber, I hope?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 10:30:51 pm »

So, let's run down the list.

Duke/duchess: Claims items. Won't work. Eats, drinks, uses processor cycles. Makes stupid-ass mandates. Demands the best of everything. Kill.

Duke/duchess consort: See above. Having both means useless spawn. Kill.

Philosopher (should probably be lower, but I sorta got mine killed by accident due to goblins): Does odd haulage jobs. Drags animals around, sorts food into barrels, hauls, has even been seen doing butchery. But he eats and drinks, and probably should have a bed to stop him sulking about sleeping on the floor. He's a perpetual purple peasant.

Tax collector: Takes money off dwarves and might evict them. Makes stupid-ass mandates. Eats. Drinks. Won't work. Uses cycles. Kill.

Hammerer: Will kill dwarves. Kill him first.

Dungeon Master: Operates furnaces. Will smith if you don't lock him out the workshops. Also seems to farm. Mine's hit legendary furnace operator, which is useful.

Mayor: Works. Keep.
Manager: Defaults to the mayor.
Hoardmaster: Accountant. Also works. Crucial to micromanagement. Protect!
Broker: Essential for good trading.
Sheriff: Harmless without a hammerer or other nobles to get in the way. Fortress guard are leather-armoured legendary wrestlers getting a free ride. I like to keep them, they make good bodyguards for goblin ambushes and accidentally-released thieves and unicorns.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 12:41:13 am »

Wait up skorpion, you give your fortress guard Leather?
I just give any non hero military dwarf who managed to hurt his spine a "Promotion" into the position of Fortress Guard.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:08 am »

soooo, I actually always only fulfilled mandates accidentially. How doeth it worketh? When you have a fortress guard they will come and try to arrest some "responsible" dwarf because a mandate hasnt been fulfilled, right?

There are 2 types of mandates: production quota and export ban. Letting a production quota go unfilled for 3-4 months constitutes a crime for a randomly selected dorf with a skill capable of producing the item that was mandated. Letting traders leave with contraband trade goods constitutes a crime for whoever brought the item to the depot (which could be anybody, since all dorfs do bring items to depot regardless of work preference).

Will the "criminals" try to defend their freedom and fight, and depending on skill, accidentially turn the whole guard plus hammerer into fine red mist?

Generally speaking I don't believe so, however a tantruming dorf definitely can lash out at a guard that tries to apprehend them.

What about the bad thoughts from being jailed? I recently read the positive thought from being released is so much better, it doesnt matter if you "play along" and create a fortress guard, the criminals dont end up being sad from being locked up, anyway. Well at least not if theres at least SOMETHING nice to look at in their cell.

There's a somewhat minor bad thought for being jailed. If you don't give them access to food/drink/beds within reach of their chain they will eventually get tired/hungry/thirsty and get bad thoughts from that. If they don't starve to death, once their sentence is expired a guard will come release them and this generates a HUGE positive thought. For mandate crimes you won't have to worry too much about happiness unless they were unhappy to begin with; they generally won't be in there long enough to get too dehydrated even if you don't supply the dungeons with booze.

Tantruming dorfs can be problematic though: depending on how much damage they did before they were apprehended, they can rack up jail sentences of several seasons or longer. Considering they were unhappy to begin with, you'll have to actively try to cultivate happy thoughts via nice stuff or they'll go crazy long before they're released and get that giant happiness boost from freedom. If they do survive their sentence happy and sane they will be guaranteed to be ecstatic for a bit regardless of what they went through that set them off tantruming.

What about the nobles (I dont care, im just curious  ;D)? they get bad thoughts from mandates not fulfilled? nothing that cant be cured by a nice dining room and shagchamber, I hope?

Yes. Also note that nobles will sometimes issue [DEMAND]s for specific items of furniture in their rooms--failing to satisfy a demand results in a bad thought and no criminal punishment, so feel free to ignore them.

I'm just trying to figure out how much I want to play along. Whether I want to kill off nobles, kill of immigrants after x population, just not create a fortress guard at all, or just go with a nice looking jail with cells stocked with booze and food.
[/quote]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:40 am »

Hammerers are funny when you get their arms lopped off and they go try and kickbox Urist McChampion to death.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 03:22:06 am »

Is there a limit on what can be used for a prison or could you just set a legendary engraver loose with a chisel and fill the cells with bling so Urist McMadoff gets a white-collar cell and doesn't worry about it too much?
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4