Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Which nobles should I always kill?  (Read 12213 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which nobles should I always kill?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 09:44:40 am »

Stuff
Thanks for your time and the conclusive answers!

I think I ll go for jails with nice furniture and some booze&food. Adds to the scenery  ;D

Oh one more thing. when there are enough jails and dwarves are imprisoned before they can rack up a huuuuuges sentence, there wont be need for the hammerer to step in, right?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 10:28:52 am »

Wait up skorpion, you give your fortress guard Leather?
I just give any non hero military dwarf who managed to hurt his spine a "Promotion" into the position of Fortress Guard.

Oh, I do that as well. I just have a shitton of leather and a leatherworker to train anyway, so I may as well give 'em armour.
I just strip anyone injured.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 11:33:19 am »

Since nobles make mandates based on their likes and personality, you can eventually stop killing them once you get one that doesn't like any material not readily available.

As for the fortress guard, I like to keep them around because they cut tantrums short. Granted, once in a while they'll beat someone instead of locking them up, but at least I almost never get a building destroyed due to a tantruming dwarf now.

And I don't mind immigrants.

Moldath McCustomsOfficial: "Welcome to the glorious hovel of RabbitFlay. What be your name and profession?"

Kivish BootLaunder: "Kivish BootLaunder, sir, the Mountainhome's finest Cheesemaker."

Moldath: *glances at clipboard* "Well, I have a Kivish Bootlaunder on this year's expected immigration list, but it says here you're a mason, not a cheesemaker."

Kivish: "Er.. I think that's an error on your list, I'm certain I-"

Moldath: "Welcome to RabbitFlay, Mason Kivish." *hands him a rock, points off to a large, unfinished tower in the distance*

Hee. This reminded me of a Battlestar episode where a (architecture student?) college kid gets dragooned into the grimy dangerous (dwarfy) ore processing ship cos he was a 'farmer', aka held a summer job on a farm for two months...

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 12:08:43 pm »

i usually keep two or three nobles at most:

The mayor/horadmaster/trader/yaddayadda. He does it all at embark. One guy to keep happy and it work out fine so far.
The dungeon master since he work and dont ask for much. Also needed to tame exotic stuff.
Sometime the philosopher since he usually does nothing at all: very good for lever activation. Otherwise hes useless.

All the others get starved to death upon arrival. They get a room assigned to them, as soon as they get in, they get locked in forever.
When the new ones comes, they get the same treatment, in the same rooms. Its slow, foolproof, and easy to do.
That doesnt stop them from manipulating the price of items and setting up mandates and stuff.. but they wont last.

And with their deaths, it stop the mass migration waves of 20 i constantly get (and too often those waves are made up of completely useless dwarves). So.. Nobles do serve a purpose in my fortress; but only posthumously.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »

Just train him up, eh?

Why burn metal on him when I've already spent the absurd amount required to get my real smith up to legendary status?  I do admit I let him run the kennels, mostly because I can't spare any of my other 100+ dwarves that have actual work to do. (Moving all my flux next to my furnace for ease of mega steel works projects thanks to lava and literally hundreds of iron ore on a single level of my fortress.)
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 02:53:47 pm »

q->a->P

Oh God, I LOLed so hard.

And here I felt silly because I LOL'd too..  :)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »

The dungeon master since he work and dont ask for much. Also needed to tame exotic stuff.

Actually you don't need to have him around to tame exotic stuff.  As soon as he shows up he instantly shares knowledge of how to tame exotic creatures with the entire fortress.  So, once you get him, you don't need him any more for that purpose.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »

There's no such thing as useless dorfs. Anytime I get someone with no skills I turn him into a miner and pick a hauling labor for him. I've got a lot of mass-miners for excavating areas for rooms and the like and I NEVER wait for a hauling job anymore.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:04 pm »

Any nobles that annoys you endlessly about undoable mandate, off the person. Though you don't have to bother if you disarms the hammerer and have nobody assigned to grab dwarves into jails. But definitely keep the dungeon master, he's a decent helping hand, esperically for the furnace. (Yes, I uses him to run the dang smeltery, the rest of dwarves are either too busy hauling goblin droppings or running all over the place looking for something )

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 07:34:57 pm »

There's no such thing as useless dorfs. Anytime I get someone with no skills I turn him into a miner and pick a hauling labor for him. I've got a lot of mass-miners for excavating areas for rooms and the like and I NEVER wait for a hauling job anymore.

I'm guessing you've never had a noble.  You can't assign them -any- jobs and for the most part they don't -do any- jobs or have -any- skills.  We aren't talking about peasants who just need to be tasked to do something and they're useful, we're talking about people who do nothing but consume resources and cause problems and throw parties.

GENERATION 27:

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »

I kept killing them until I used Dwarf Manager to give them hauling jobs.  Only downside is having to disable them again so that diplomat meetings work.  Not having the burning noble hate is a great relief though.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:09 pm »

I kept killing them until I used Dwarf Manager to give them hauling jobs.  Only downside is having to disable them again so that diplomat meetings work.  Not having the burning noble hate is a great relief though.

I'd always wondered if that was possible or not, but never bothered trying it.  I've not killed any of my nobles so far, as I've had hardly any mandates except for exceedingly easy to fufill ones like don't export anvils and make some harps and such.

Also, it's a nice added challenge, and at the moment once you get your fortress well developed, there is exceedingly little to challenge you.

Edit: I bet my stone harps sound awesome.

GENERATION 27:

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 10:23:21 pm »

Edit: I bet my stone harps sound awesome.

Well, you know how much dwarves like rock music.

Sorry.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 11:17:40 pm »

If you disarm the Hammerer will he go get another hammer (I'm sure I could put a stock pile of NERF *hammers* right near his room...?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:43 pm »

Nobles that ban the export of common items are generally more dangerous than ones who like having items being made out of importable metals. I finally succumbed to noble killing to save half my fort from being beaten to death because of the tax collector and the duke deciding that it was a crime to export all the rings that had already been given to the caravan. I feel so dirty.

But a noble who requests brass items every season? Sure, I'll take him. Just make sure that you fulfill the mandate as late as possible, so that he won't make another mandate immediately after.

And it's not like food or drink or furniture are hard to come by in a fortress, so I just don't buy those arguments. Sure, they're useless, but they're also flavor.

If you disarm the Hammerer will he go get another hammer (I'm sure I could put a stock pile of NERF *hammers* right near his room...?

No. He will deliver dwarven justice with these hammers. *knocks fists together*
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4