Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Which nobles should I always kill?  (Read 12212 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Which nobles should I always kill?
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:21:01 am »

The Mayor is important, and democratically elected :3
The Dungeon master actually works and almost never asks for mandates..
The Captain of the Gaurd is always nice...

But...

Baron and Barons consort.. (CON) Always asking for crazy stuff... (PRO) But its good bragging rights to have them around
Hammerer (CON) Enforces stupid mandates and punishes good workers.. (PRO) enforces...justice?
Tax Collector (CON) taxes!!! (PRO) ... Ah...

Seriouslly, is there ANY reason NOT to slaughter either the hammerer or the Tax collector upon arrival?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Which nobles should I always kill?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:23:20 am »

Challenge. And it makes the simulation aspect of the fortress seem more realistic if you don't.

Anyway, though, killing them will just result in new ones showing up. So unless you repeatedly twinkishly kill them, it won't really solve your 'problems'. Maybe other people can do that, but it just seems too meta-gamey to me and ruins the whole point.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:58:20 am »

Honestly, I'd like to just mod them out.

I'm the one in charge here.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:21 am »

ive only just recently succumbed to killing nobles, because my duchess consort kept mandating stupid items that i could not construct as i did not have the metals needed to make brass. he ordered my legendary armoursmith beaten to death for not fulfilling one of his impossible mandates.

i must have made millions and millions of helmets to get that guy to legendary, and he was just in time with the discovery of adamantium as well. so the consort got a couple of sasquatches in his room. it also stopped the duchess from popping out more children, she had like 15 already.

at first i did view it as a challenge, trying to buy enough copper items to melt and make brass with, but he wanted so frigging much of the stuff. he demanded a brass door in his tomb, a brass coffin, and brass tables and chairs and an armor stand for his living/dining areas. plus he kept mandating brass crafts, and you can only get crafts through luck of the draw. when my legendary armoursmith got hammered to death i had had enough.

his wife may go soon as well, she has a major fetish for steel, and my map has no flux. plus any exotic steel items i purchase for melting into bars get snapped up by her before i get a chance to get them to the smelters.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:59:56 am »

The really tempting insta-executions are the consorts, because you don't get replacements unless their non-consort gets bumped off too.

It also prevents that whole noble-spawning thing.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:23:28 am »

Challenge. And it makes the simulation aspect of the fortress seem more realistic if you don't.

Anyway, though, killing them will just result in new ones showing up. So unless you repeatedly twinkishly kill them, it won't really solve your 'problems'. Maybe other people can do that, but it just seems too meta-gamey to me and ruins the whole point.

I never kill them outright. THE BIGGEST THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT YOU MIGHT GET WORSE NEXT TIME. In my last few forts I've been blessed by nobles that are keen on really common things... If you kill those then you'll get the guy that likes fine pewter crowns and who won't step into the death chamber until he's hammered / beat the Armok out of some skilled and well liked sot.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:21:45 am »

Build dwarven atomsmasher and assign the lever that triggers it to the nobles you'd like to get rid of. Iirc they should quickly run off to pull at it and flatten themselves. Urist McInbred has stopped mandating: interrupted by ceiling.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:23 am »

"Hey we captured some gobbos!  Let's go sic 'em on the household dragon!"

"Hey Urist, you did put them in the dragon airlock, right?"

"Oh, I'm sorry - I understood 'baron airlock'."

"..."

"..."

"...!"

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 08:44:29 am »

I kill a noble only if I really, really have to.  If I can keep my supplies of required materials higher than the demand for them, I don't like to risk getting even worse one.

However, if they start requesting crap I can't reasonably make...well, it's time to lock them in their room (I haven't gotten around to making noble-killing quarters yet).
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:39 am »

Yeah, I've gotten kinda lucky so far.  All my mandates have been pretty easy.  Gold and silver items, bucklers, and the like, or really sensible mandates; bolts, ballista arrows, bolts, more bolts, even more bolts.
I think I've got nobles with their head screwed on right, though I'm worried about my Mayor's obsession with adamantite, though he seems to demand it rather than mandate it.

I've got a question, though.
My Duke has a son.  Does the son have any special status?  If the father/parent dies, will he become the new Duke, or do we import a new one?  Is there anything special about noble children?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 08:59:29 am »

I've got a question, though.
My Duke has a son.  Does the son have any special status?  If the father/parent dies, will he become the new Duke, or do we import a new one?  Is there anything special about noble children?

They don't get any special perks beyond what kids of nobles and legendaries already have.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:50:18 am »

Killing nobles can discourage immigration.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:01:53 am »

Which is not necessarily a bad thing ;)

Some migrants have arrived!
*cue 7 soapers, 5 cheesemakers, and your 18th craftsdwarf*
Urist McJackass has mandated the construction of certain goods.

q->a->P

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 11:06:56 am »

soooo, I actually always only fulfilled mandates accidentially. How doeth it worketh? When you have a fortress guard they will come and try to arrest some "responsible" dwarf because a mandate hasnt been fulfilled, right?

Will the "criminals" try to defend their freedom and fight, and depending on skill, accidentially turn the whole guard plus hammerer into fine red mist?

What about the bad thoughts from being jailed? I recently read the positive thought from being released is so much better, it doesnt matter if you "play along" and create a fortress guard, the criminals dont end up being sad from being locked up, anyway. Well at least not if theres at least SOMETHING nice to look at in their cell.

What about the nobles (I dont care, im just curious  ;D)? they get bad thoughts from mandates not fulfilled? nothing that cant be cured by a nice dining room and shagchamber, I hope?

I'm just trying to figure out how much I want to play along. Whether I want to kill off nobles, kill of immigrants after x population, just not create a fortress guard at all, or just go with a nice looking jail with cells stocked with booze and food.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 12:08:47 pm »

They don't get any special perks beyond what kids of nobles and legendaries already have.
Why, what do they get?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4