Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weird Map  (Read 2503 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Map
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 02:26:27 pm »

I once embarked on a meeting of 3 rivers. Wagon spawned on a tiny ledge, under a waterfall, with no way to get up to the surface save dig. I built a dining room overlooking the giant lake formed at the meeting of the rivers (it was 10 or so z's down), and my dwarves had some fun times watching all the carp and gar fall 15 z's to their deaths (the waterfall generating river was higher up than the wagon spawn.).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 02:52:00 pm »

A delta is not simply a fertile strip of land around a river; they are so called because they are shaped like the Greek letter Delta, which is a triangle.  The Tigris and Euphrates are just to rivers that surround a crescent shaped piece of land and flood every so often.  So it is fertile land near rivers in which civilizations rise, not deltas.  The Egyptians had settlements upriver from their delta, too.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 03:12:51 pm »

Brook tiles suck. I made a massive reservoir underneath a brook once, in the hopes of flooding it during the summer in order to have water during spring, fall and winter. I had the idea of safely collapsing a wall tile from a distance, via a support and lever. It would crash through the bottom of the river bed, and into my reservoir. A brook tile came down with it. Water flowed in like normal. The brook tile acted as a chasm, and all the water that was coming in was disapearing just as fast.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 04:32:46 pm »

Brook tiles suck. I made a massive reservoir underneath a brook once, in the hopes of flooding it during the summer in order to have water during spring, fall and winter. I had the idea of safely collapsing a wall tile from a distance, via a support and lever. It would crash through the bottom of the river bed, and into my reservoir. A brook tile came down with it. Water flowed in like normal. The brook tile acted as a chasm, and all the water that was coming in was disapearing just as fast.
you didn't dug out the tile?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:25 pm »

Well, it was under water so I had to use Dtil to convert it into a normal tile.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 04:53:20 pm »

Why not just channel it out before all that?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »

Because it was the bottom part of the brook, i.e. not the membrane but the part that the water flows over.
Pages: 1 [2]