Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Amazing Potential Location...  (Read 9792 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Potential Location...
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 03:39:01 am »

I could copy the save, abandon fortress and reclaim to find out where it is if you want...
Could you give us a location?
Like, copy save, abandon, Reclaim printscreen?

Please?
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 11:09:32 am »

Elephants aren't so deadly anymore.  And yes, please.  Caps.  And punctuation.  Sometimes, if a post looks bad enough (punctuation/spelling/grammer wise), some people will just skip over it.
Are the carp still op? (Notice the punctuation and grammar.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:22:00 am by tzler »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56:47 pm »

Okay well if you have trouble seeing it on the map...

[[[World View]]] Go to the top right. Hold shift and go down 9 times. [[[Region View]]] You should see 2 streams heading eastward and stopping. The top of the two looks sort of like a T shape (Or you could say a F if you include second stream.) One space above this T shape (the intersecting bit) and 5 spaces west. You should have a bit of yellow sand and then a mountain range between said said and your supposed to be present location. [[[Local View]]] I made it a 5x5 size fort location. So make it 5x5 and set this in the top right of Local View area and move it down 5 and left 5.

That should put you where it is. Unless something changed in world gen. If you guys happen to not find it. I have a save where it's at the start of the fort with nothing done. Starting supplies are generous how I like them though, so if you'd have a fit about it, tough luck... however if you say "how the hell do you manage with that crap?" I'll take it as a compliment. =-D

Anywho here's the picture of the location.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:54 pm »

Elephants aren't so deadly anymore.  And yes, please.  Caps.  And punctuation.  Sometimes, if a post looks bad enough (punctuation/spelling/grammer wise), some people will just skip over it.
Are the carp still op? (Notice the punctuation and grammar.)
Still deadly.  As are all other fish that will show up on the unit list (non-vermin fish).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 04:52:01 am »

Hmm, I can't seem to be able to gen the same world... Would you be so kind to post the save? (Or just the world, that would be even better)
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:20 pm »

Let me see what I can do.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Igmuth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:27 am »

SHUT UP EVERYONE AND READ THIS:

Make a spiral staircase going up the center of the first thing (don't know what to call it). Then, make a bridge across to the second. Then from their again to the main hillside. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ENTER YOUR FORTRESS! Below the bridges and between the "spires", put horrible things like magma, spike pits, shooting ranges for dwarves, etc.

I had just come across a similar map, and was wondering what to do with it, when I read Slappy's suggestion.  I had experimented with small spirals in a previous fort, but this was a chance to do it epically   My map only has 1 smaller spire, but it does have magma pipe, underground river (with a nice (77 Z) waterfall in it), HFS, sand, no iron (but more goblins that you can shake a stick at).

3Dwarf view:

The bridge you see is the "service" entrance,  the trade depot access isn't displayed since 3dwarf apparently doesn't see bridge.
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-5367-giltmurders

Future plans involve paving the road in that spire (it occasionally grows towercaps otherwise)  and attempting to cast the bridge out of obsidian.

World Gen:

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 04:32:21 pm »

Igmuth... That... is... BEAUTIFUL! I'll have to work something out for a waterfall... I really don't want to use something like... dwarf tweak... but it may be the only chance I get for waterfalls... =-C

/sad

I want to find a sheer cliff. With a river on top that's 50+ z levels high...

Damn you Igmuth! I want to quest for such a site now... /cry

Igmuth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 04:40:24 pm »

Igmuth... That... is... BEAUTIFUL! I'll have to work something out for a waterfall... I really don't want to use something like... dwarf tweak... but it may be the only chance I get for waterfalls... =-C

/sad

I want to find a sheer cliff. With a river on top that's 50+ z levels high...

Damn you Igmuth! I want to quest for such a site now... /cry

I've been looking for the same, and I'm pretty sure this is as close as you can get.   The cliff is basically as vertical as you can get without digging yourself.   It's 70+ Z's high, and the underground river *starts near the top 10z levels.   One of my future projects is to be able to pipe the river outside to make said waterfall.  (I have the main shutoff floodgates in place, now I just need to dig the tunnel to the cliff face, and a drain tunnel back in (since the cave river goes out the bottom of the map, I don't have to worry about flooding the world.)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:13 pm »

But flooding the world would be HILARIOUS! seriously...

i'll probably just haxxxx my way to a river... that or I might steal your place...

Igmuth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 07:09:46 pm »

Right, hence why I plan on setting up two levers.  One floods with magma, the other with water. Should make for a fun defense (or just destruction of my fortress)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 11:57:26 am »

I've been trying to get that save for you guys, it doesn't seem to want to work right. I'll try some other things, but ya.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 02:57:11 pm »

does the edge of the play area count as a wall or does fluid flow out?  I know it flows normally for regular rivers, just unsure of dwarf-made ones.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 10:33:53 pm »

It flows just as any other open edge would.

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 12:04:12 pm »

I don't understand all the commotion about waterfalls. What's so great about them? Are you guys trying to get one that falls multiple Z-levels?

Tiny Pirate's tutorial map ( http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/ ) features a waterfall and magma, but no sand. It's a nice little map, that I've been using, but with my own fort design (I hate his layouts, and I like to put in shafts of light all over the place to keep my dwarves from getting cave adapted). You can get his save/world from the links in paragraph 4.
Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5