Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most addictive game i have ever played  (Read 3826 times)

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most addictive game i have ever played
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:27:52 pm »

This is the most addictive game i think i have ever played, looked into it a couple of years a ago and tried to play it but the learning curve was off the roof, i though but then TinyPirate made my day :P in 1 single day i could play it and god do i not regret getting into it :D It's amazing how such an small game can be as fun and addictive as this! If i had money i would donate and i've never donated before. Wonder how this game will be in a year. Do anyone know when it's officially done?

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most addictive game i have ever played
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:35:11 pm »

Never.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »

Current theory is that Toady will be done once the game renders an accurate representation of reality down to the quantum level.

This of course means that "dwarven atom smasher" will no longer refer to drawbridges-it will instead refer to dwarven nukes.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:55:38 pm »

Tiny pirate?
This?
http://tinypirate.com/

What the hell are you talking about, boy?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »

Tiny pirate?
This?
http://tinypirate.com/

What the hell are you talking about, boy?

After Action Reporter's Dwarf Fortress tutorial, by Tiny Pirate, with the thread in Gameplay Questions.

Dwarf Fortress' addiction wears off like most other games, but when you have it, it is quite potent.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:38:57 pm »

While the addiction wears off in the short term (usually when I set it down after the utter collapse of some fort), I find it usually comes back within a couple months.  In fact, I think the lasting replay value of DF is possibly the greatest of any game I've ever played.  I've only been playing for a year or so, but I've already logged more DF hours than any other game I can think of.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:41:02 pm »

Yeah, DF is definitely up there in terms of replay value. Getting into some of the rogue variants can also be very addicting. Particularly TOME and IVAN. I haven't gotten too far in Nethack, but that's also quite good.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:10:42 am »

This is the most addictive game i think i have ever played, looked into it a couple of years a ago and tried to play it but the learning curve was off the roof, i though but then TinyPirate made my day :P in 1 single day i could play it and god do i not regret getting into it :D It's amazing how such an small game can be as fun and addictive as this! If i had money i would donate and i've never donated before. Wonder how this game will be in a year. Do anyone know when it's officially done?

The only video games I have played as much as Dwarf Fortress are Counter-Strike, Natural Selection, and World of Warcraft.  However, Dwarf Fortress is the only one I have come back to after growing bored.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:23:55 am by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:23 am »

I played DF for a few weeks, got bored, started playing again, and haven't slowed down.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:21:12 am »

I played DF for a year non-stop when I found it (2d version)
Now I have on and off periods of playing, but I do find myself drawn back to the game over and over again.
It's a bit like LEGO, really, replayability only ends with your own imagination.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:28:36 am »

This is the most addictive game i think i have ever played

I agree. I've played hundreds of hours with this game, [..and don't forget...the latest version is still alpha!] so I guess that is the best proof, that how addictive this game is already. Now I cannot even imagine about the epicness & complexity of v1.0  :)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:32:34 am »

This is the most addictive game i think i have ever played

I agree. I've played hundreds of hours with this game, [..and don't forget...the latest version is still alpha!] so I guess that is the best proof, that how addictive this game is already. Now I cannot even imagine about the epicness & complexity of v1.0  :)
...And then there's the potential of Armok 3.
I got into it a month or so ago. I have already sunk multiple weekends into it. And I've still yet to do any real megaprojects.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:54 am »

Totally agree, but it also can be very very frustrating. The thing DF lacks the most IMHO is decent save/autosave functionality. Just again lost about an hours worth of work because of a crash.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

Totally agree, but it also can be very very frustrating. The thing DF lacks the most IMHO is decent save/autosave functionality. Just again lost about an hours worth of work because of a crash.
data/init/init.txt:

Use these to control the automatic saving behavior in the dwarf fortress mode of game.  AUTOSAVE can be set to NONE, SEASONAL or YEARLY.  This updates your save at these intervals, so that some of your progress will be saved in case of system instability.  You can set AUTOBACKUP to YES if you want the updated save to be copied to another folder so that you'll have several copies of your world at different times.  Set AUTOSAVE_PAUSE to YES if you want the game to pause every time it autosaves.

[AUTOSAVE:NONE]
[AUTOBACKUP:NO]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:NO]

Here you go. oh wait, you probably know that, crash more often and would like to manual save other than save/exit/manual copy... yeah, that can be cumbersome (but otherwise it would kind of ruin the permadeath thing). but cmon, seasonal should do it, no?

And if you're crashing every other hour, maybe it's possible to troubleshoot that? Because that doesnt seem normal. Or are you that guy that tries to run DF under wine in linux which is installed on a tivo?   ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:21:21 am by Puck »

wigwam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a wigwam! I'm a teepee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:38 am »

Yeah, DF is definitely up there in terms of replay value. Getting into some of the rogue variants can also be very addicting. Particularly TOME and IVAN. I haven't gotten too far in Nethack, but that's also quite good.

I also recommend ADOM, but that's a bit off topic.
Pages: [1] 2