Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Er, help! (Yes, I've read and searched... for several hours)  (Read 1237 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Er, help! (Yes, I've read and searched... for several hours)
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »

So I've been tinkering and after creating a new item I added it to the dwarf entry in the entity_default file. For some reason it only appears for crafting some of the time. What gives?

EDIT: The piece in question is a beastplate... it seems like it generally picks one or the other, so might be something to do with the [SHAPED] tag. Not sure, as I've seen both at once before.

Also, how (if it is possible) do I get the smelter to use corpses?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The rest works just fine, but the corpse line seems to do nothing, and my attempt at creating corpses to test the tokens have resulted in nothing and some frozen-to-death dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:38:43 am by tsen »
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Er, help! (Yes, I've read and searched... for several hours)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:57:19 am »

Did you mark it as COMMON or UNCOMMON?

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:14:03 am »

Have tried both, as well as plain + common. When I remove the common tag and limit it to 1 entry it just doesn't show up.

Also, do legends take equipment into account? Everyone seems to be bludgeoning and wrestling each other to death.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:59 am »

Need raws to help with the first.  There are also reaction tags on the wiki that show you how to make corpses and stuff.  Give me a second to look it up for ya.

Okay, here you go:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Reactions
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Item_Token
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Material_tokens
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:15:30 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »

Yeah, post your equipment and civilization files so we can take a look at it.  Show the file that has the armor in it, and the file with the civilizations in it.  And check your errorlog.txt just for the sake of it.  Sometimes it picks up on syntax errors (which is what this sounds like).

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:13:32 pm »

I've actually looked over the DFwiki's token entries, the problem is I don't want it to take a specific creature, though now that I think of it that's not a problem, I was trying to make it take *any* corpse, which apparently isn't possible.

As far as entity_standard entries for armor piece:
And the item entry:
Sometimes it shows, sometimes not. The item is in a new file called item_dwarf which has item_dwarf and [OBJECT:ITEM] at the top separated by one carriage return. The entities file is otherwise normal. Re-genned with the non-common ones removed and it *seems* to be working... Seems.

I carefully examine the error log every time I world gen and nada for the last 3 worldgens (been ironing out some minor bugs)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:43:51 pm by tsen »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:28:02 pm »

[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_DEFPLATEMAIL]
I think that's your problem.  That tag needs to have [COMMON], [UNCOMMON], or [RARE]? to work.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:46:08 am »

Added it, removed the non-tagged ones... seems to be working now. :)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:52:26 am »

It has been a while since I've messed around with modding but I seem to recall that occasionally some of the armour I added would not show up. I believe there is a bit of randomness to it, as COMMON doesn't guarantee it will be there 100% of the time. I think you can put FORCED in there to make it show up all the time

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:33:00 pm »

Putting in FORCED will force it to appear 100% of the time on every creature, yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:30:04 pm »

Cool, I'll try it.

EDIT: Seems to be working.  8"}

EDIT2: Ok, now I can't figure this one out either: why the hell do my dwarves insist on taking off *one* sock and keeping the other one on?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:01:55 pm by tsen »

Jakkarra

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:38 pm »

EDIT2: Ok, now I can't figure this one out either: why the hell do my dwarves insist on taking off *one* sock and keeping the other one on?

.... because they are dwarfs.

But seriously, i think you may have found a bug, or, possibly, your item is interfereing with the sock. does this only happen when they wear the armour? or all the time?

if with the armour, you may have made the armour take up the sock-slot accidentally, if not, im unsure, sorry...

Love, jakkarra

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 07:42:16 pm »

Armored socks.

Brilliant.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:14:15 pm »

I think some of the stuff randomly being unavailible has to do with the coverage or layering or something. I noticed many times that civs that live in tropical climates often can't make vanilla mittens or high boots.  I assume it has something to do with the civ determining equipment is "too hot" to bother learning how to make.  Donno what actually controls this but I assume if there are multiple of one type of equipment it can be possible for a civ to be unable to produce it.

As for the sock thing, I can't imagine why the armor would effect the socks.  If I remember how Toady described the armor tags correctly the protection from that armor should only go down to about the upper legs.  That shouldn't be close enough to mess with socks.  Now if it interfered with gauntlets and helmets, now that would make sense. the UPSTEP of 2 would protect at least to the lower arms, likely including the hands, and should be protecting the head on it's own as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:10:24 pm »

Nope. I got them to correctly don everything, after several days of tinkering. The only thing they won't do is keep both socks on when putting on boots.

EDIT:  Fixed. Got them wearing everything properly. Now to figure out how to make them wear pants again.

EDIT2: Sock thing seems to be a bug, but you can micromanage around it normally.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:39:05 am by tsen »