Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater and shoreline vegetation!  (Read 1274 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater and shoreline vegetation!
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

With it we could have uses for dwarven swimmers/herbalists! But even if it would be a totally unusable feature right now, it could open ways for versions to come
een failing lately?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater and shoreline vegetation!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

Seconded. People are always going on about how they want more underground diversity - I want more underwater diversity. Kelp, giant clams, underwater civilisations, the works.

And then we move onto the sky...

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

O R'lyeh?

But yes, big-water vegetation would be very nice to see.  You could have stacks of brown  "§" shapes to indicate giant kelp, and maybe clusters of "%" to show the kelp patties on the surface.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

Excellent idea.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

I think this might fit humans who live by the sea much more than dwarves, but I'd really like to make the ocean and seaside settlements more interesting...Here's some ideas:

bivalves/immobile vermin are already in - there's mussels and oysters in the raws, although I never saw them in game. However, a small addition could be that, when you process oysters, you have a VERY small chance of getting a pearl. There would be several different kinds of pearls, and it would be considered a gem, although you would not be able to cut it. You could decorate stuff with it of course.

It would also be interesting to have coral in tropical oceans. Would be somewhat hard to get, but it would have some worth as a trading good, and it could be carved/crafted - not sure what skill it should use: Bone, Stone or Wood crafting?

Algae as a plant that can be gathered and used. According to wiki algaes are quite useful. they could be used as fertilizer, fuel, food and dyes!

This is slightly offtopic, but it would be amazing to having underwater entities, perhaps not as fleshed out as aboveground ones.
Imagine being able to trade goods with the Merfolk - you could sell them metal weapons(hard to forge stuff underwater)in exchange for crafts and seafood! However, you could also be attacked by humanoids emerging from the waters, a bit like Deep Ones.

Merfolk could also ask for some kind of treaty against overfishing, but it would be quite different from the tree treaty the Elves give - for one, you can't control fishing as well as you control treecutting. Actually, I'm not sure this is that realistic an idea, since overfishing an ocean seems hard to do using non-modern methods...

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Zonk ]

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

Actually, there's already a PEARL token that oysters and mussels get. I'm not sure it works though...and pearl-diving is in the future cevelopment page, oh well...Toady apparently already had this in mind.   :)

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Zonk ]

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:31 pm »

Actually, it would be nice if you could build underwater as well... I'd like an aquatic or amphibious race that lives beneath the waves fending off giant whales and sharks, only appearing above the surface for their rare trades with the landlubbing races.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:01:13 pm »

Someone tried that with...humours results.  Even though the creatures can breath water they can't build because there's water in the way of the construction.

Hunterdew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:24 pm »

This is a great idea, and I believe there should be a 'Quay' workshop that collects and processes the underwater things. Although the name implies that you have to build a portion of the building above the water (much like a magma forge). This would also prompt other buildings over water, such as fishing piers, docks (for trade boats), and swimming schools (to train divers, or some other building that'd be able to train the swimming skill easier than just throwing dwarves into 4/7 water).

Of course, with the additional water based buildings and boats, there'd be a foreseeable dwarven navy. And that just sounds awesome.

And now I'm off topic, so I'll stop here.
Hunterdew cancels having a life: Playing Dwarf Fortress

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 03:48:48 pm »

O R'lyeh?<P>But yes, big-water vegetation would be very nice to see.  You could have stacks of brown  "§" shapes to indicate giant kelp, and maybe clusters of "%" to show the kelp patties on the surface.
Hmm... I could've sworn I saw kelp fronds in the water before...

Was it just my imagination?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:31:47 pm »

O R'lyeh?<P>But yes, big-water vegetation would be very nice to see.  You could have stacks of brown  "§" shapes to indicate giant kelp, and maybe clusters of "%" to show the kelp patties on the surface.
Hmm... I could've sworn I saw kelp fronds in the water before...

Was it just my imagination?

Considering there is no mention of kelp in the raws at all, yeah I think it probably was.

Thene again I guess it could be like grass or moss and be hardcoded, but I've never seen it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:10:15 am »

Nethack had kelp fronds, didn't it?  So maybe thats the ascii kelp you are remembering.

DF has coral as a material also, but it, along with horn, jade, ivory and maybe a couple others arent fully implemented yet.  Humans getting a more developed marine industry would be great to see in the future but someone on this thread used the phrase

Of course, with the additional water based buildings and boats, there'd be a foreseeable dwarven navy. And that just sounds awesome.

Dwarven Navy and that just sounds absurd, hah.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 02:03:12 am »

Toady has mentioned somewhere of expanding the oceans and waterways when he adds in boats and stuff. I'm sure he will add in more interesting features like underwater herbs and maybe some shallow salt-water trees too.

time will tell tho. kinda cool thinking about it tho.