Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New language?  (Read 854 times)

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
New language?
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:20:04 pm »

Hullo again. I've decided to make my own playable civ, the Lizardmen. I have the creature file almost done but I don't want to give them one of the default speech files like I've done in the past, but I don't want to spend hours manually changing EVERY word in the language files, either. So, my question is: does anyone know of a faster way to create a new one? A random language generator, or something similar? Or am I doomed to giving up those many hours of my life...?

Thanks anyways.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: New language?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:46 pm »

Hate to break this to you, but you ARE doomed. Unless...

a) Someone can make a program that randomises language, taking some words from elves, some from dwarves etc.
    This will essentially mix languages together.

b) You use a generic Human or Elf language.

c) Change all words to Carp, making 'Atoth Skillsharpened' to 'Atoth Carpcarp', could work well for primitive
    languages.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:41:10 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=463

Mephansteras's command line DF language file generator. Personally, I can't stand it, so I started a GUI language generator a while ago, but I haven't worked on it in a while.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:52:56 pm »

Ooops, forgot all about that thingy...all hidden up in DFFD...

Well it's not like that is meant for everyday, regular use, so no GUI shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Only prob is you will have to experiment with diffrent settings and try many times just to know how to use it.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:38 pm »

Thank you. I'll give it a shot. What can be worse than manual labour? :D
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:16:43 pm »

What can be worse than manual labour?

Dumb dwarf labour :P

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »

Thank you. I'll give it a shot. What can be worse than manual labour? :D

Upon reading the Wiki, I retract that statement.

Manual labour it is, then :P

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »

If you only want different translations, and not different words, I can create a language file for you really easily.  What would you want it to sound like?

When I say translation and not word, I mean change STONE:lam to STONE:whatever.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:29:50 am »

would be great if someone converts this i an intuitive gui as exe or something :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:17:42 am »

Wow, phi2dao, that'd be great. I don't really know what I'd like it to sound like. I'm going for a kind of tribal/aztec feel with these.

If it isn't any hastle, would you mind making 2-3 samples for me? Thanks a bunch.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »

Okay, so I created two language files.  If they're not what your looking for, or they don't sound right, just tell me.  I not really sure what you meant by "tribal".

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=951
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=952

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 05:19:09 am »

Thank you. That's brilliant :D

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:56:51 am »

Glad to have helped.