Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Construction management:  (Read 2135 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Construction management:
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »

To construct things of blocks (stone), takes a lot of labor and planning.

Also, for some reason, the dwarves crafting the blocks at mason's workshops never seem to really gain any skill at it in my experience. Not sure why, but they don't get mason skills in my game, or rather none to speak of.

Stone block creation has many benefits:
1.) Clutter cleanup. Less stone laying around. Also can use bins!
2.) Increases the value of constructions
3.) something for your numerous idle dwarves to do.

However,
1.) Very little masonry skill gain
2.) confusing how many construction masons are needed for every block creating mason
3.) raising fort value brings invaders.
4.) masonry constructions are complex to design compared to just digging things out.

How do you manage your masonry constructions, especially on the surface?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Construction management:
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

All constructions cannot be appreciated by your dorf so it's generally a waste of time to make blocks, rough walls do just fine. Unless I need something done in a very specific color arrangement, I just grab the nearest stones.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »

Ultimately I'd say the primary advantage in your case might be the anti clutter issue then. I dunno, unless you happen to like having tons of rock laying about your fort. Personally I don't.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »

Hard to manage? Annoying? What is the point? This is DF, deal with it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:04:23 pm »

Hard to manage? Annoying? What is the point? This is DF, deal with it.

Only to a certain point. Loosing is fun. Being stuck and unable to figure things out, not so much. Also doesn't roll off the tongue so well as "loosing is fun."

Please don't quote me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

Ultimately I'd say the primary advantage in your case might be the anti clutter issue then. I dunno, unless you happen to like having tons of rock laying about your fort. Personally I don't.
you can designate to hide them. I should also mention that all those damn blocks will lay about in your bins. It's not like they go away in any ways, shapes or forms anyway. If you are so paranoid with your lapisphobia maybe you should consider a rock grinder or an atomsmasher.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »

I would recommend using rough stone blocks for anything that must be constructed within the first few years, but then switching to smooth bricks once your fort is fairly well established.  Also phase out the rough stone constructions as time progresses.  (Unless you are like me and like leaving all military fortifications/walls as rough stone for that harsh, imposing effect.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »

Constructions made from blocks build faster as well. Very good when you need to make something outside, but don't want your dwarves exposed for too long.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:28:52 am »

Does changing a stone to a block remove any of the stone's capabilites? (is there anything stone can do that blocks can't?)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:33 am »

you cannot use the block for anything other then building things. No stone -> block -> mechanism

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:39 am »

Managing block stockpiles can be a real pain. You place two, one near workshops, other near construction site and they keep hauling blocks from construction to workshops because there's free space in the bin. You order the site stockpile to take items from workshop one, and they haul blocks one by one instead by bins. You cancel that order and it all reverts to the situation described in the beginning.
And they keep stashing them in forges stockpiles if you didn't disable metal blocks line in stockpile menu. (That's because every block material is listed there and dwarves are thinking like this: 'hm.. No stone blocks allowed... Oh hey, I'll just put this metal sandstone block here.')
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:17 am »

I just use the mass block fabrication reaction and have a single block stockpile next to the construction site. Blocks are made neatly into the bin and hauled bin-whole to the construction site, problem solved.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:37 am »

I just use the mass block fabrication reaction and have a single block stockpile next to the construction site. Blocks are made neatly into the bin and hauled bin-whole to the construction site, problem solved.

how?

Please don't quote me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:41 am »

something like this
Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
For the uninitiated, read: take 20 stones of any kind and 1 empty bin, and pump out a bin with 10 marble blocks inside.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:43:06 am by rephikul »