Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 66803 times)

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2009, 01:14:46 am »

I'm not sure if this is a "One-In-A-Million" moment but....

One of my champion hammerdwarf ran into a gobbo archer pack alone, without even being backed up by anyone. I thought he was going to die, but it just so happens that he dodged all the archers iron arrows and made it to close combat. Then he started smacking them around with his steel warhammer, killing 3 before reinforcments arrived.

Edited: Small typo.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:13:13 am by zestorum »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:00 am »

One of my nobles did 2 useful things during thier 7 month life in my fort.

1. Killed a goblin.

2. Died from the goblins buddies.
I think you set a new record.

My hammerer killed 3 goblins and an orc before dying to an orc seige that got past my traps.  It was his singular dedication to the cause that kept casualties below 10.

I have also, on many occasions, seen nobles cage beasts and fill ponds.  When I set my depot to let anybody trade, then the hammerer and tax collector jockeyed for the honor.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2009, 06:10:04 pm »

Not really one-in-a-million, but I need to brag.

Fire imp tallow soap.

The king's advisor pitted a goblin, but it shot and killed him as he threw it in the magma.

And I just lured my first diplomat into the noble roaster, pulled the lever, and tossed him into the magma. I feel warm and fuzzy inside.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »

This just happened and I feel the need to brag.
My fortress was at well over 100, with only three deaths from sparring, no criminals, and (almost) tolerable nobles (No export of tin?  Never even seen any, sorry.)  Despite being in an evil region all snug to a goblin fortress, the only real danger seen so far was three different bands of dark gnomes.
In my fourth year, a dragon attacked.  I immediately ordered everyone inside, and once they were in closed the front drawbridge and readied the ballistae.  The lever was pulled, and it was good.
The bridge never closes.  Nobody ever shows up to man the ballistae.  The funny part?  The dragon strolls right by my undefended main entrance, strolls up to a side door that's used to access a mined-out magnetite vein, mauls someone's pet mule, and loiters around the locked door.  I order my military squads next to the door, preparing for a dwarf rush, when I notice the lone marksdwarf who decided to stand on the side of the wall WITH the dragon on it.  With NO AMMO.  Seven of my eight champions walk off at this point, giving various excuses about getting a bite to eat or a quick nap.  My last champion, an elite wrestler, proceeds to attack the dragon (who's almost finished ripping that marksdwarf limb from limb) from behind with his bare hands.  He kills the dragon with his bare hands, unassisted, without taking a single scratch.
In about a minute various Dragon Tallow Soaps are being hauled from the scene.  Seconds later, a weaponsmith becomes secretive, and quickly begins a mysterious construction.
Less than five seconds after this, my miners strike adamantine, in a site I wasn't even aware had it.
On their own, none of these events are particularly notable, but they all happened in less than two minutes.  Seriously.  Talk about unlikely.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »

This happened in an earlier play on dwarf heaven:
One of my dwarves went to go and retrieve a steel battle axe to fell wood. Unfortunately, the cause of death of the first dwarf? GCS. Before he can get to the axe, and while I try and fail to stop him getting too, my old friend appears, webs him and closes in for the kill. Well, UReist McMason wasn't having it. In a 10 frame or so battle, he is paralyzed by the spider, but not before ripping off two body parts with his bare hands...and one of those had to have been the Abdomen of the Giant cave spider, or its cepahlo throrax. Why? Because his only alternative was to kill the spider while paralyzed. all this with NO skill points in wrestling, armor or a weapon. How's that for one in a million?
Urist McMason:Proficient Mason. Legendary Badass.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:35 pm »

A cave spider once burned down my dwarves. It made a single web on the channeled firebreak i dug....which promptly ignited, igniting everything on my side  of the firebreak.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2009, 06:28:39 pm »

Urist McMason:Proficient Mason. Legendary Badass.

YES PLEASE.  Sig worthy, in my opinion.  I don't think I have room. Yes I do.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2009, 06:51:14 pm »

Just now, I was using the Atom Smasher to clear out a bunch of rocks I didn't want.  I make sure no one is dumping anything, then make a Dwarf pull the lever to raise the bridge and smash everything.

He pulls it and walks away... and in runs my legendary craftsdwarf, holding a chunk I had set to dump...  He makes a run for it, and he leaps onto the stockpile JUST IN TIME to deposit the chunk!  *whump*

Urist McCraftsdwarf has been crushed by a bridge.

Good thing that asshole wasn't friends with anybody.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »

I was channeling away some floor tiles overhanging my cliffside fort when i had a tiny cavein.. a single tile fell down tqo levels, punched through the roof of my tomb area, into a freshly dug out area, then continued down through a single wide corridor E/W, down through my entrance hall and into my single wide N/S magma channel, displacing a 7/7 block of magma, which promptly left through the hole the rock just punched. JUST as my legendary engraver ran by.
he got completely incinerated as the lava splattered all over him :(

This really enforces the first rule of dwarven fortress, the most unlikely thing to happen WILL happen, and the result will usually kill off someone important :P

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2009, 08:36:12 pm »

I was channeling away some floor tiles overhanging my cliffside fort when i had a tiny cavein.. a single tile fell down tqo levels, punched through the roof of my tomb area, into a freshly dug out area, then continued down through a single wide corridor E/W, down through my entrance hall and into my single wide N/S magma channel, displacing a 7/7 block of magma, which promptly left through the hole the rock just punched. JUST as my legendary engraver ran by.

This really enforces the first rule of dwarven fortress, the most unlikely thing to happen WILL happen, and the result will usually kill off someone important :P

Wow, I think this one takes the cake.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:42 pm »

I lost TWO three! great, not legendary dwarves in an accident like that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:43 am »

I lost TWO three! great, not legendary dwarves in an accident like that.

I think I posted something like this as well. Tiny cave in, smacked through 7 floors or so. It nailed my legendary metalsmith on the head, created a new hole for him and had him drop another 4 floors.

Splat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:06:28 am by IceShade »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2009, 09:50:00 am »

Just now, I was using the Atom Smasher to clear out a bunch of rocks I didn't want.  I make sure no one is dumping anything, then make a Dwarf pull the lever to raise the bridge and smash everything.

I am using a different rock-remover methode right now. There are 12 catapults firing stones out of the mountain side 24/7 (evry single dwarf is a operator) against a 3z level high wall and then they fall down in some redirected  lava. Its a true constant rain of stones since after 3 years most are legendary users.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2009, 10:05:44 am »

I am using a different rock-remover methode right now. There are 12 catapults firing stones out of the mountain side 24/7 (evry single dwarf is a operator) against a 3z level high wall and then they fall down in some redirected  lava. Its a true constant rain of stones since after 3 years most are legendary users.

I have a policy of "NO STONE LEFT BEHIND!". Every stone will be used. Every building must have a block floor if it can't be smoothed, and every building must have a roof. Lots of stone crafts to keep export up. Only highest quality statues, chairs and tables .. the rest will be crushed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2009, 10:47:22 am »

I once lost my legendary record keeper to a mysterious accident involving a Kobold thief.  He became enraged, and was struck down seconds later.  The weird parts are that:

- His office was the furthest part into my fortress, and apart from going next door to pick up some food and then to his dining room (also right next to it) he basically never left it

- He was rather mild mannered

- His wife was left with a serious (red) head injury - but I don't know how

- I never recovered the body of him or the kobold - which would have had to get past 4 entrance dogs, and which didn't seem to have attacked anything else.

So, any ideas on how a kobold can be detected, enter a fortress, assasinate a dwarf deep inside and dispose of his body, knock out his wife and then vanish without a trace (and, apparently, without stealing anything)?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20