Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 66906 times)

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:06 pm »

My mayor made some silly mandate for items of nickel, and I just didn't have enough nickel. My legendary weaponsmith was then declared an outlaw. He was pissed, so pissed he tantrumed. He walked into the mayor's quarters (one of my founding seven) and beat her to death. Then when he was arrested he didn't put up a fight, just quietly went to jail.

He died of hunger in prison :(

I don't know if that's rare or anything but I've never had a noble targeted by someone who failed one of their mandates so I figured I'd post it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:51 pm »

My mayor made some silly mandate for items of nickel, and I just didn't have enough nickel. My legendary weaponsmith was then declared an outlaw. He was pissed, so pissed he tantrumed. He walked into the mayor's quarters (one of my founding seven) and beat her to death. Then when he was arrested he didn't put up a fight, just quietly went to jail.

He died of hunger in prison :(

I don't know if that's rare or anything but I've never had a noble targeted by someone who failed one of their mandates so I figured I'd post it.
Probably just chance.  Shouldn't have starved in prison unless he was melancholy/ noone bothered to feed him though.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »

<If i'd known that was going to happen i would have recorded it :\>
Same gos for me and the one time a dragon attacked during a human siege, killing over half or maybe even three-thirds of it before being brought down by horse archers. The best thing? He was injured during world gen, so he did that while periodically going unconscious!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »

In one of my first forts, I had a Mayor who appeared to be getting "friendly" with an Elven trade ambassador in her room. She was having many closed door meetings with him and neglecting her duties as broker. I checked in on her to see what she was up to, and she was sleeping in her bed...with the Elven Ambassador on top of her!

Horror stricken by her fraternizing with the enemy (not to mention the unnatural aspect of her tastes) I at once ordered the captain of the guard and his retinue into her room to witness this deplorable, degrading situation. Dutifully, the guards piled into her room, while she slept on apparently oblivious. The news of the Mayor's perfidy must have spread throughout the fortress faster than a magma fire through a booze stockpile because less than a minute later she was voted OUT of office and replaced as Mayor. Coincidence?
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2009, 08:01:34 pm »

In one of my first forts, I had a Mayor who appeared to be getting "friendly" with an Elven trade ambassador in her room. She was having many closed door meetings with him and neglecting her duties as broker. I checked in on her to see what she was up to, and she was sleeping in her bed...with the Elven Ambassador on top of her!

Horror stricken by her fraternizing with the enemy (not to mention the unnatural aspect of her tastes) I at once ordered the captain of the guard and his retinue into her room to witness this deplorable, degrading situation. Dutifully, the guards piled into her room, while she slept on apparently oblivious. The news of the Mayor's perfidy must have spread throughout the fortress faster than a magma fire through a booze stockpile because less than a minute later she was voted OUT of office and replaced as Mayor. Coincidence?
In a word, yes.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

Once every single dwarf woman man and child ( Most if not ALL were legendary socialites ) was killed...By just ONE creature...A chosen one of Armok. The most badass opponent i have ever seen, slaughtered everyone ( I admit we messed him up pretty badly but he got us in the end when a huge tantrum spiral REALLY turned the tides of the battle. ) there wasn't a single square to stand on that was not oqupied by a Dwarven corpse. Hell he still fights in the nearby chasm. Even though he has tons of permanent injuries and lost his sword he ALWAYS wins.

I suppose that's what happens when you really piss off a demon swordmaster chosen by Armok himself for the kicking of Dwarven ass.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24:40 am »

Maybe not a one in a million thing, but I would say certainly lucky. I once had a mining accident happen when my miner was channeling a skylight or something, I forget, and he fell three levels (I believe) splat into the bottom layer which was soil (and probably contributed to his survival), yet he was basically uninjured. I'm pretty sure there was a dwarf shaped crater on the floor where he fell.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2009, 08:58:26 am »

It isn't that surprising, dwarves are pretty tough so long as they land head-first...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2009, 08:59:24 am »

lol, true....

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2009, 11:35:33 am »

It's probably not 'one-in-a-million', but the exact situation doesn't occur all that often so it was quite unique to me and I probably won't get it again.

A cage happened to end up on the edge of a draw bridge, and for some reason nobody wanted to move it. Having heard that opening a retractable bridge while items are on it will make the items fly away, I of course opened the bridge.

When I opened the bridge, the cage flew a few tiles to the north, and landed on top of a groundhog that was walking there, and it got caught. :P

Cage traps? We don't need no stinkin' cage traps!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2009, 11:40:29 am »

That...that is awesome.

Hmm...it's not necessarily useful, but you could probably use that trick to drop a bunch of cages down on enemies from above to catch them. Might be able to get trap-avoid enemies that way...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2009, 01:24:44 pm »

That...that is awesome.

Hmm...it's not necessarily useful, but you could probably use that trick to drop a bunch of cages down on enemies from above to catch them. Might be able to get trap-avoid enemies that way...
No, you get a team of 10 carpenters.  Then you get them all to make 100 cages each.  Then you dump them all on a retractor.  Then an orc siege comes, and there will be an explosion of cages.  Come to think of it, it would probably trap all the local wildlife too, and overwhelm your animal stockpile.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »

Ever been totally unprepared for a megabeast?

Got a Dragon very early in this fortress by a river my friend and I go back and forth playing. This was our very first "good" fortress. We did have walls up and an elevated drawbridge. Of which was only in place to protect us from the occasional roaming bands of monkeys we were getting. We were waiting for all the farmers and wood collecting peasants to run in before locking the gates.

The Dragon was closer than we thought.

Suddenly the fields are scorched leaving at least 3 bodies. Seeing what was happening we throw the switch to the drawbridge. We start maneuvering the military into position. Somewhere in the field an infant burns to death. Then we realize we can't find the dragon. I zoom to her from the unit list and find her near the field of scorched peasants....

Unconscious and missing an eye, lying near to an inexplicably(no burnt grass) dead dwarf.

As it turns out the husband of one of the peasants that died, who was also the father of the baby that burned to death shortly thereafter, was a hunter trying to get back underground. He shot the dragon in the eye rendering it unconscious and then ???somehow??? died next to the dragon.

Another 8 peasants ran right past the incapacitated dragon through the back entrance. He gave his life to save them all.

Shortly thereafter we caught the dragon in a cage trap, later tamed her, and now she's on display in the center of the dining hall. I'll note that this fortress still going strong between the two of us.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:05 pm »

Watch out for the bloodlust! She has it!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »

I had a baby with the unhappy thoughts of a parent dying, witnessing death, and being forced to view the decay of a loved one or whatever. The baby climbed up a ramp and jumped down until it died of thirst

After that, both of the babies parents (who were still alive and well, legendary even) dropped down to unhappy.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20