Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 66883 times)

Saunatonttu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 01:35:22 am »

In first year of my current fortress, i had send my miner to remove my temporary above-ground farms. He got ambushed by 11 kobold. I thought to let the ambush enter the fortress and let caravan guards handle it. Didn't think that elves dont have guards... Kobolds killed elves (free stuff:D) and proceeded to hunt my lone farmer, as i raised drawbridge. I drafted my farmer and stationed him to the other side of map. Kobolds shot him with arrows, and he got light injury to hir arm. The the fun part happened:

Kobold stumbled on ramp, and some blood fell to the ground. My copletely untrained, unarmored and unarmed farmer saw the blood, went crazy, ignored his orders, and ripped the lightly injured kobold bowman to two with his bare hands, killing him. The other 10 kobolds instantly fled the map. Rambo dwarf:D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 01:50:20 am »

I once had a dwarf run infront of a ballista in a tower the exact second it fired, he got skewered kebab style.  ;D
I once "stationed" (repeated lever pulling) a noble in front of a ballista (with a fortification again) and fired. He escaped with only a hand injury. 
What would be really funny is if the hand injury is just a sprain from pulling the lever too much and nothing to do with the ballista bolt.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 02:04:05 am »

I don't know if this is one-in-a-million or not but during my first experience with  HFS:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 02:07:10 am »

I don't know if this is one-in-a-million or not but during my first experience with  HFS:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 02:42:03 am »

What was their name, they need to become a god of nobles!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 06:08:33 am »

I had a bunch of monkeys walk in my fort, ignore evryone and evrything on there way to the Kings Room - there they took his pants and left again.

LoL?

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 08:34:03 am »

I had a bunch of monkeys walk in my fort, ignore evryone and evrything on there way to the Kings Room - there they took his pants and left again.

And now I must make a fortress named Monkeypants in tribute to this!

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 09:13:09 am »

In an old modded lizardman fort i did, monkey raids were  very common. we died mainly because of that, and the fact that lizardmen only eat meat
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 11:09:57 am »

well...

it began when my i reclaimed a fort because of the Spirits of Fire that killed me because i wasent ready.
anyway, when i arrived i fixed everything to what it were before the carnage.
then my fishers, 2 of em died in the cave river because the monster had respawned, as everyone is friends when you reclaim you would know that everyone went tantruming. now to the one-in-a-million moment.
my craftdwarf took up 25 bolts  and began throw it around he killed about 7 dwarfs because Lungs/heart pierce shots.

talk about enraging and fun.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 11:29:18 am »

I just had a non-champion get a lucky swing in the latest elvish invasion... She swung her obsidian sword upwards from ground level at an elf on a unicorn, and caught him -- by my estimation -- just above the femur.  The elf went fifteen tiles northeast, fountaining gore, and I'm pretty sure he was dead before he hit the cliff face.  The leg went two tiles southwest.  The unicorn escaped unscathed.  It's like tee ball, but with more violence and gore!

I've dug out a huge sword-shaped great hall in her honor, and once it's engraved, she gets a great bedroom in the pommel of the sword.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:39 am »

not exactly a rare occurance, i got a good laugh from it:

in my latest fort, the trade depot it just outside the front door. human caravan arrives, i designate a bunch of crap to be brought to trade. and every dwarf who comes outside vomits between the door and the depot. i could see them pouring out of the door carying bins, pausing to viloently vomit, then carrying on like nothing happened.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 12:08:58 pm »

In one of my forts, I had a double layer of traps surrounding my entrance, with about 5 tiles between each layer.  I had a massive goblin siege arrive.  A good number of them got killed on the first layer, but that allowed even more to run past while the traps rearmed themselves.  Then once they'd all gotten past the first layer of traps, they did about the same thing for the second layer.  One guy was lagging behind a bit though, and tripped a trap after everyone was in range of my fortress, and his death was enough to scare the siege off.  Trouble was in order to retreat they had to run back over both layers of traps again.  I think maybe one or two escaped alive.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25:00 pm »

Eh, surviving an ambush in my incredibly well defended fortress (built into the mountain, 2 square ditch surrounding said mountain, 2 drawbridges with fortifications and traps surrounding them) and I send my army out to fight. They get slaughtered. Mostly because its bow goblins and they attack one at a time. (Sleeping, eating, drinking, etc) so I draft my fortress, punt the goblins and celebrate by looting the dead, entombing the slain, and welcoming the merchants who just arrived. Now the One-in-a-million moment was when the first wagon went over my drawbridge, I had forgotten I had its associated lever to ensure no gobbos got in. They didn't pull until moments before the wagon went over. So the wagon went up a few z levels, came down on my 2 wide ditch, and disappeared. It injured my sheriff, and a few other peons, and the merchants ran away. Aside from breaking quantum law by making a wagon, a dwarf, and many thousands of dwarf bucks in good disappear, it wasn't that unusual.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »

Probably not all that rare, but I found the story of my first dwarf who died lost his life to the health care system amusing, from one of my earliest forts:

He was my original miner who got hurt from a collapsed building somewhere, and spent several months in bed. Eventually he got tired of being thirsty, and went melancholy. With all four limbs mangled, he managed to crawl down several flights of stairs (stopping constantly to collapse from pain, of course) towards the statue garden. As soon as he entered, his lover threw a party in that statue garden. I think he died of thirst sometime during the party.

I'm still not sure exactly where he was going, but I had been using the statue garden as a central hub for the rest of the fortress, with the hospital area near the entrance.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »

In my experience, one-in-a-million chances happen nine times out of ten.

Well, this might be more like a one-in-a-thousand moment. A goblin siege got broken up by a squad of champions about 15 paces from my fort's main gate. Five z-levels up, directly over that gate was a room with fortifications for marksdwarves to shoot from. They didn't.

Now, while the champs easily dispatched the siege, I was a little irritated that my lazy marksdwarves decided not to shoot. I look at the room and, sure enough, all the marksdwarves are absent, presumably drinking or sleeping. What I did find was a single goblin leg that had apparently been severed with so much force that it flew 5 z-levels up and 15 away and jammed itself into a fortification.

I just had something very similar happen. Battle at the main gate, sealed-access archery tower over the gate. Although mine did have the archers participating. Anyway, we mop up the ambush easily enough and I look around to unforbid stuff. I find a bloody, forbidden iron pike sitting up next to my archers in their ammo pile. No arm or anything, just the pike in a pool of blood. It is possible that the attached arm was already removed by a hauler by the time I looked up there but...that had to be freaky for the archers no matter what.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20