Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 66940 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »

I embarked on the Dwarf Heaven site posted elsewhere in this forum, and had been chugging along, dealing with wildlife and rigging up my fortress and the like. About a year and a half in, a dwarven caravan arrives, landing down at the southern tail of the chasm. And then going around the chasm. Where the GCS lives. That got exciting real quick, especially when the trogs popped out behind them.

So, the battle raged, and I was just watching it go, not wanting to interfere with the natural course of things, until one heroic merchant swordsdwarf managed to take out one of the spider's eyes and damage a leg. I figured it was as good a time as any to bring the beast down, especially with all the trade good from the caravan littering its lair, so I sent my entire squad of 8 champion wrestlers (no real metal industry running yet), who surrounded the beast and fought it for days, to little effect. It got hurt a few more times, but nothing serious. In the meantime, it had killed 5 of my wrestlers. During the battle, my Mayor/Broker/Miner wandered up there looking for a corpse, adn the spider got him, too.

So, desperate to slow the tide of deaths and keep the fort from tantrum spiral, I hastily drafted my Manager/Bookkeeper/Miner, who had carved out basically the entire fortress alongside the Mayor (the two of them were best friends). He charged over the mountain in a perfectly straight line, jumped over one of the wresters who was paralyzed by venom, and chopped at the GCS, armed only with a copper pick.

The first blow, he mangled one of its legs, and the pick got stuck inside.

The second blow, he killed it. Unarmed.

So now he gets a giant golden tomb.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »

I had a siege. No problem,really, so I sent out my new swordsdwarf squad, freshly trained and equipped with the new stuff I had made for them.

Well, I missed something. This wasn't a normal siege. This was a Bowman siege.

So, immediately after I sent them screaming toward them, I realized that Oh shit! Bowmen!, so I got all of my marksdwarves up there to fight with them. Meanwhile, I zipped back to my swordsdwarf. Of a squad of 6, 3 were dead corpses, 1 was being pin cushioned (He would survive to fight again), 1 had had his heart pierced with a bolt(He,actually,made it long enough to be dragged back to his bed before bleeding out), and another dwarf was lying on the ground.

His right upper leg was a yellow wound, causing him to fall over, but BOTH of his eyes were red. So, I look in his inventory and lo and behold, he has 2 iron bolts, stuck in his eyeballs.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:00 pm »

I had a siege. No problem,really, so I sent out my new swordsdwarf squad, freshly trained and equipped with the new stuff I had made for them.

Well, I missed something. This wasn't a normal siege. This was a Bowman siege.

So, immediately after I sent them screaming toward them, I realized that Oh shit! Bowmen!, so I got all of my marksdwarves up there to fight with them. Meanwhile, I zipped back to my swordsdwarf. Of a squad of 6, 3 were dead corpses, 1 was being pin cushioned (He would survive to fight again), 1 had had his heart pierced with a bolt(He,actually,made it long enough to be dragged back to his bed before bleeding out), and another dwarf was lying on the ground.

His right upper leg was a yellow wound, causing him to fall over, but BOTH of his eyes were red. So, I look in his inventory and lo and behold, he has 2 iron bolts, stuck in his eyeballs.

DWARVEN BOLT EYE POWERS ACTIV- Auuugh! Backfire!!!

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2009, 08:02:17 pm »

I made a champion swordsdwarf, nicknamed 'Sharpe', he took on a squad of hammer goblins, crossbow goblins, and lashers. ON HIS OWN, he was surrounded at all sides but he slaughtered them without a scratch, then, a iron bolt flew across the screen and nailed him in the chest, Left Lung, Right Lung and Heart, all mangled...Yet he still ran towards him and clove him asunder, he then got hit by another bolt from another crossbow goblin in the arm and dropped his shield, still went strong, broke his spine like a twig, then he went after another...And bled to death. I am still working on his great monument, a great example of dwarf power!
Holy smokes, your dwarf was Boromir!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2009, 08:16:26 pm »

That's awesome.  I've never seen any eye wounds other than dark grey, do eye injuries heal?

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:23 pm »

That's awesome.  I've never seen any eye wounds other than dark grey, do eye injuries heal?

Never. The poor guy is a blind craftsdwarf.

He's getting used to tragedy.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2009, 11:15:34 pm »

...a blind craftsdwarf.
EVEN MORE AWESOME

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:19 pm »

Never. The poor guy is a blind craftsdwarf.

He's getting used to tragedy.

I should hope so

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2009, 12:24:08 am »

Lol. I have two legendary armour smiths. The leasing cause of deaths in my fortress is berserk, and melancholy. anyways, I have had a total of 6 weapon smiths over my fortress's 9 years. Every single one of them got a mood, and every single one of them needed shells for their artifact. My fortress had no turtles. I had no shells. so I have had 6 weaponsmiths that could've been legendary die. Funny enough, my second armour smith got a mood, and I checked his profile. surely enough he likes tutrlt shells. I thought oh crap, another failed mood. He ended up making adamantine greaves worth over 1 million dwarfbucks  ;D. what are the chances? 2 legendary armour smiths, and no weaponsmiths. I am training my armour smiths to be legendary weaponsmiths. I expect some time within the next 20 years I will have a legendary weaponsmith, and armour smith in one.  :)
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2009, 04:08:43 am »

I had a legendary blacksmith (weapon/metalcrafting/armor). Then, one day, I was deconstructing a building at floor 0. The roof had a tiny little cave in, and two blocks went from floor 1 to -7. My blacksmith was on floor -4. Granted, there's absolutely jack shit on -4 so the odds of him standing there were next to zero. One of the two blocks smacks through the floors, hits the guy on his head crushing his skull, then creates a 3 level pit just for him and he dies a horrible agonizing death.

Probably my most valuable guy in the fortress. The following year, the mayor, that had been re-elected for over 10 years, was finally thrown out. Probably because of that little accident.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:03 pm »

Probably my most valuable guy in the fortress. The following year, the mayor, that had been re-elected for over 10 years, was finally thrown out. Probably because of that little accident.

Actually, I think Mayor-Mechanics work differently, because I've had my military decimated time and again, and my mayor continues to get reelected.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2009, 02:41:00 pm »

I once had a siege, that ended with the first ballista arrow i fired, it took out their leaders eye, leaving him unharmed apart from losing his left eye. He freaked and ran, everyone in the siege followed him.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2009, 02:47:01 pm »

I once had a siege, that ended with the first ballista arrow i fired, it took out their leaders eye, leaving him unharmed apart from losing his left eye. He freaked and ran, everyone in the siege followed him.

I'm picturing a goblin running around with a HUGE LOG SIZED ARROW sticking out of his eye, completely unsupported...  it's hilarious!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2009, 05:23:39 pm »

You were sieged by only one squad?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »

if you take out the leader sometimes the whole siege runs.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20