Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 66203 times)

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:08 am »

I once had a siege, that ended with the first ballista arrow i fired, it took out their leaders eye, leaving him unharmed apart from losing his left eye. He freaked and ran, everyone in the siege followed him.

I'm picturing a goblin running around with a HUGE LOG SIZED ARROW sticking out of his eye, completely unsupported...  it's hilarious!
Me too :P.

also, he came back a few years later.... again catching a ballista arrow... this time losing his other eye, and his head, and most of his upper body... the arrow flew onward exploding most of his squad. and, less fortunate, one of my champions.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2009, 10:36:31 am »

I wish you could attach units on the ballista Arrows, like fire a nobel out of the fort for the usuall reasons or to fire a cat- the thermo nuclear kind.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2009, 11:12:26 am »

I didn't really particularly care for the Elves that where trading with my fortress.  And I was starting to get tired of it anyway.  They never brought me any animals, and my fortress consisted of SO MANY cage traps, that I was hoping for something more exotic than my 50 wolves/beavers/ etc.

So I decided I would build a merchant destruction room with my trade depot.  It wasn't really anywhere near water, so drowning was out, and magma was too destructive.  Then I realized, I could simply build a bunch of cage traps with goblins, let them slaughter the merchants, and then open the front door, leading them directly into my cage traps to re-use them.  Great training for my goblin arena, and an effective method of taking care of Merchants.

Or so I thought.

The elves show up, and I lock the doors.  They're stuck in there, all alone, with a bunch of sneering cages that are bristling with mechanisms.  And weapons littered about as well.  A click is heard, as a dwarf pulls a lever eleswhere in the fortress.  I sit back to watch the carnage.

The elves didn't survive very long.   However, the Elves animals, specifically, 2 mules and a camel, where less than happy about their predicament.  They then proceeded to kick and bite and destroy every goblin I'd released in there.  24 fully armed goblins vs. 3 animals.  And the animals won, with a full contingent of names.

It was... beautiful... and horrible... all atthe same time.

Mules and camels are fairly large, that or goblins are complete pusswahs.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2009, 11:15:51 am »

You should have just locked it off long enough to make the Elves beserk! Then when they did, the cage traps will catch them. and then....

Blood for the blood god!
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2009, 03:54:22 pm »

In adventure mode I killed a named Giant Eagle.
One-in-a-million-moment:
the murder weapon was a short sword I traded for at a local town.  Engraved in jewels was an engraving of the same Giant Eagle earning its name.  Wouldn't even notice if I didn't have the habit of admiring multiple pages of multi-species blood on equipment.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

In adventure mode I killed a named Giant Eagle.
One-in-a-million-moment:
the murder weapon was a short sword I traded for at a local town.  Engraved in jewels was an engraving of the same Giant Eagle earning its name.  Wouldn't even notice if I didn't have the habit of admiring multiple pages of multi-species blood on equipment.
yeah... most weapons tend to become blood crust clubs after a few days use.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »

Goblin seige arrives. Rhesus steals the pants off some random sieger and runs straight into a cage trap.

Same fort. Urist McFurnaceOperator cancels smelt Aluminum: Interupted by fire imp. Panics, punches the imp, sending it flying several tiles backwards, THROUGH the workshop, into the magma hole under it, and into the pipe.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2009, 05:23:54 pm »

Did Urist McFurnaceOperator die in the heat? I'd imagine punching a fire imp would not be beneficial to your health

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »

Did Urist McFurnaceOperator die in the heat? I'd imagine punching a fire imp would not be beneficial to your health

Fireimps aren't that bad.  Most peasants can wrestle one to death with few-no ill effects.  their danger is their ability to set things on fire with their breath/balls.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:41 pm »

Nope, none of my smiths/furnace operators died from imps or magma. Just before i finally cleansed all the imps out, they were dodging about 3 fireballs all over the place in a 3 tile wide hallway at one time, while still managing to smelt their goddamn bars. Never had a single injury.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2009, 10:33:11 pm »

Had some dwarves building walkways over a chasm once. One of the dwarves decided to give birth over the edge of the floor, watch its child fall to its death, then get back to work.

I imagined it being so causal, probally why i found it so funny

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2009, 10:55:13 am »

Had some dwarves building walkways over a chasm once. One of the dwarves decided to give birth over the edge of the floor, watch its child fall to its death, then get back to work.

they didn't get stuck on "urist mcmother is trying to locate urist mcbaby" or anything? cos i can imagine lots of depression as mcmother seeks mcbaby indefinitely...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:22 am »

... my woodcutter is eating a live fairy.   :P   Probably not a one-in-a-million thing, if I could catch more of them but... eww.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2009, 11:32:19 am »

Fireimps aren't that bad. Their danger is their ability to set things on fire with their balls.

Looks like I found something Sig worthy here.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:23 am »

That reminds me of this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8456pVSLI&feature=related

;D

It wasn't actually banned here, though.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20