Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mounting  (Read 1506 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Mounting
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:33:46 am »

Can dwarfs mount certain creatures? If they can, how do you get them to do so? And if they can't, what do I need to change for them to be able to mount?

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:52:53 am »

I'm pretty sure it's impossible in the current version, mods or not. A form of transportation is planned for future releases, though.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:08 am »

From what I understand mountable creatures have not been added for dwarves yet, and by that I mean, we ourselves can't make them ride stuff. ;/

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:59:32 am »

Sadly, your dwarves won't be able to ride ponies into battle. Or unicorns. Or whatever you had in mind. Giant Bats, maybe. Sorry, no can do.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:46:09 am »

From what I understand mountable creatures have not been added for dwarves yet, and by that I mean, we ourselves can't make them ride stuff. ;/

Correct, and maybe this won't be changed at all, since Toady finds this "dwarves can use mounts" idea weird. I don't know...from a fantasy perspective, I see nothing wrong with dwarven boar riders for example, or something like that, but again, it's up to Toady that what's gonna in regard to dwarves&mounts.  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:48:04 am by Tormy »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:48 am »

I asked him about it and I think he said eventually...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:20:56 am »

Well, adventurers should probably be able to ride things, and playing as something other than dwarves (and the gameplay actually being different) is planned for the far future. So I guess mounts will be added as a possibility, whether or not dwarves will be able to use them in the vanilla game.

Right after alien invasions and water molecules.

Evildude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:56:05 pm »

Dwarves should be able to ride mountain goats or rams. I know, kinda WoWy, but it does make sense. War elephants would be nice, too, but they should need 2 or 3 dwarves on them to use properly.

Maybe have the ability to put them on a wagon to link two distant stockpiles. Kinda like Transport tycoon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »

Aaaaaargh! HELP! HELP! I am being chased by dwarves!!!

The game has mounts at the moment, right? So in theory it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Toady to put in the ability to replace a mount and a rider with a mounted rider. I can't see it being worth implementing properly at this point, but giving people the ability to mod it in might be nice...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »

Currently mounts are buggy. If you have a military dwarf attack mounted foes, you will notice those foes run away, because while the foes riding the animals are hostile the animals are scared of your military dwarf.

I believe Toady will overhaul the thing later in the Army Arc, possibly. It might fit into a different arc.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO