Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most addictive game i have ever played  (Read 3791 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most addictive game i have ever played
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15:21 pm »

dwarven nukes eh? so in the future we will be experimenting with nukes eh?

"DONT PRESS THAT RED BUTTON,URIST!!!!!!!"
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 02:10:55 am »

It's a bit like LEGO, really, replayability only ends with your own imagination.

That's fantastic.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:10 am »

Totally agree, but it also can be very very frustrating. The thing DF lacks the most IMHO is decent save/autosave functionality. Just again lost about an hours worth of work because of a crash.

I am pretty sure that a decent save system will get implemented later on. Until then...just make backups.  :)

gades1313

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:41:25 am »

It is an utterly amazing game though.  My xbox 360 sits unplayed next to my HD television while I play dwarf fortress instead on my laptop. 

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 03:42:06 am »

Here you go. oh wait, you probably know that, crash more often and would like to manual save other than save/exit/manual copy... yeah, that can be cumbersome (but otherwise it would kind of ruin the permadeath thing). but cmon, seasonal should do it, no?

And if you're crashing every other hour, maybe it's possible to troubleshoot that? Because that doesnt seem normal. Or are you that guy that tries to run DF under wine in linux which is installed on a tivo?   ;D

Yeah, I have it set to seasonal already. But a season still takes around 45 minutes or something, and I'd rather have it autosave every 15 minutes or so. Whenever it crashes, it always does it just before a season ends it seems. Keeps going 'poof' on the most opportune moments :) Guess there's just little goblins messing with my CPU.

Regarding the crashes: yeah, it's definately a machine problem. DF crashes on my laptop, just this morning it managed to totally freeze my machine. I got the feeling the CPU is overheating. On my desktop I don't have any problems.

I really hope Toady is going to improve the saving system soonish. I understand that tuning fluid dynamics is a lot more fun (I'm a programmer myself and the algorithmic stuff is a lot more fun than silly GUI stuff), but whenever the game crashes with 40 minutes of unsaved stuff I die a little inside.
Pages: 1 [2]