Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Balance in War Games  (Read 2762 times)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balance in War Games
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 02:27:58 am »

Sounds to me like the difference between a wargame and a strategy game.  A war game should be realistic.  A strategy game should be balanced.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 04:36:46 pm »

Sounds to me like the difference between a wargame and a strategy game.  A war game should be realistic.  A strategy game should be balanced.

Naw, War games can be balanced and Strategy games can be unbalanced.

War is more of a subset of strategy to me.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

Naw, War games can be balanced and Strategy games can be unbalanced.

War is more of a subset of strategy to me.

I think war is more realistic. Like... realistic scale, realistic armours, realistic weapons.

Hard-SF, I think.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 06:18:29 pm »

Strategy games involve little or no chance.  Wargames respect the importance of chance and uncertainty in war.  Thus, outside of computers anyway--you can usually play a strategy game with no dice, but you can't play a wargame without them.

D&D, after all, evolved directly from wargaming.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 08:24:53 pm »

Careful you may be falling into the RPG Fallacy where you take common elements and apply it to the genre.

Afterall many Strategy games are all luck or heavily impacted by luck.

Fantasy General for example is pretty much "Panzer General" with spells and fantasy creatures.

Anyhow looking into the Genres it seems that a Wargame is a subset of the strategy genre. Given that Fantasy General has minor differences between it and Panzer General I can only assume that a Wargame involves historical wars.

So the next job would be to find a "Wargame" that involves entirely made up events on another planet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »

Heh the last time I played HOI2 as UK I managed to keep germany from getting anywhere and defeated them in like early 41.

Last game I played was as poland.  I lasted until about '41 before losing lwow and thus the war...  fun times.  Trying to take on the big bad with poland or republican spain is much more fun then steam rolling 'em with england or soviets IMHO.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 11:11:22 am »

'People want balance so they can play competitively'

Are you suggesting real war is not a contest?

All wars are unequal, and all major wars are close to equal strength on either side (or one side would win quick or give up) usually its diplomacy and good strategy that wins the war, not 'whether hitl0r has teh haxxor skillz to beat all dem allies'

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 12:56:24 pm »

That argument is based upon the very, very flawed assumption that a developer would put a realistic implementation ahead of an implementation that helps gameplay. It might be fun once in a while to play the weak faction, but in the end most people want a game where the factions have roughly equall chances if played right. That way, who wins is decided by skill with a certain faction and the game, and not the faction choice in itself.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 03:29:41 pm »

It's the developer's job to find balance between troops/costs/factions/whatever, it's up to the players if they want to handicap one side or the other, and there are usually ways to do that (if better units are more expensive, give the side with the better units more money to spend).

Happy?

vitaoma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 05:53:54 pm »

I think you're right and balance shouldn't be 100% if the scenario, resources etc are random, but if you have always the same stuff and same scenario all of your tactics should be beaten by the enemy after playing a couple times.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

Not precisely what was meant, but I'd like to see more slightly unbalanced maps. I hate (hate) *HATE* maps that are basically two(+) identical halves(sides). Sure, it makes it "fair" enough, but it's boring as all get-out. I wouldn't mind being at a small disadvantage if the map was interesting.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:45 pm »

Not precisely what was meant, but I'd like to see more slightly unbalanced maps. I hate (hate) *HATE* maps that are basically two(+) identical halves(sides). Sure, it makes it "fair" enough, but it's boring as all get-out. I wouldn't mind being at a small disadvantage if the map was interesting.
Stay away from anything that even reeks Supreme Commander then. I remember all the maps being perfect mirrors. The horror. It really fucked up the "feeling" of the game a lot, atleast for me. I can't remember other games that have this though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:13:43 pm by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 10:54:48 pm »

I just hate games that claim to be realistic. Looking at C & C Generals.
5 main battle tanks can't stop a single truck before it can ram them? And they can't have any machine guns?

I also tend to dislike any tank with multiple main guns. Until I get to use them, of course.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 10:56:03 pm »

I just hate games that claim to be realistic. Looking at C & C Generals.
5 main battle tanks can't stop a single truck before it can ram them? And they can't have any machine guns?

Crap like that is why I moved on to Steel Panthers.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 [2]