Finally... > Life Advice

Dwarf-Rigged USB-Adapter Cooling System

(1/5) > >>

Cthulhu:
I need some help.  Lately my computer and computer peripherals have been having increasingly annoying problems that require increasingly dwarfy solutions.  The first one was the lack of a chair, so I took a tiny stool made for a toddler and placed a gaming chair similar to this one:

on top of it.  Since it's next to my bed, it's supported and doesn't lean back.  It's super-comfortable.

My newest problem is not comfortable at all.  My Wireless USB Adapter heats up like no other, and when it does it starts disconnecting every few minutes.  Normally I'm playing Dwarf Fortress or DoW offline, so this isn't a problem, but I'm starting to go back into online gaming, and disconnections wreak havoc on Steam downloads(If you disconnect, you'll never get it going right again, it goes all retarded and you have to start over).

My first solution seems to have failed.  I took a small flat pan that we used to use as a base for candles and filled it with ice, then put tin foil over it and placed the adapter on top.  It didn't work.  My dwarven skills have failed me, and I need guidance.

How should I cool this thing?  I don't have a medical cold-compress, that was my first idea.

Keiseth:
Cthulhu, aka Dwarfgyver.

You could probably afford to get a better adapter sooner than you could afford to keep something like that cool. Is your computer very hot too? A single fan can do the trick for both in my experience. Ventilation is key!

Infact, put the icepan thing between the fan and the usb adapter and blast it with cold air! Maybe you can remove the plastic shell and help it vent that way.

kotekzot:
removing the case sounds like a good idea.

Yanlin:
Hmm...

ZALMAN!

Cthulhu:
Removed the case, waiting to see if it'll still disconnect me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version