Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Acid?  (Read 5827 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Acid?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 11:38:23 am »

Gray Matter:

Collides with anything: Creates more gray matter.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:42 am »

Okay, I think there is a way to make acid with natural stuff.

Main thing is sulphur, which is mineable, and common around volcanos. In combo with some other minerals, it makes a very aggressive liquid that burns living flesh. Acid.

Only prob is I forgot which minerals or whatever were those. Too bad I don't have the links anymore, used the school computer...

Maybe I'll scrape more up on Wiki.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 11:52:54 am »

Hydrogen.  Gotta have hydrogen.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »

Hydrogen.  Gotta have hydrogen.
Normally you get your hydrogen by mixing it with water.

For the dwarves, I'd guess that bubbling carbon dioxide (from the furnaces) or sulfur vapors (from the magma or our sulfur-bearing rocks) though water would both be fairly easy ways of getting reasonably nasty acids. Concentrating digestive juices from hunted predators might work well too.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jakkarra

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »

it may be easier (but thats not dwarven) to simply abstract the process, for example. gaining an extract from a vermin which can be placed in tiles of water, turning the water to acid.

there could be a few problems, but it shouldwork quite well.

love, jakkarra

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:47 pm »

Maybe it is stored in glass vials?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jakkarra

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

yeah, that what i mean, the extract is stored in some form of container, and is dumped in water.

Love, jakkarra

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:19 pm »

Okay, I think there is a way to make acid with natural stuff.

Main thing is sulphur, which is mineable, and common around volcanos. In combo with some other minerals, it makes a very aggressive liquid that burns living flesh. Acid.

Only prob is I forgot which minerals or whatever were those. Too bad I don't have the links anymore, used the school computer...

Maybe I'll scrape more up on Wiki.

Brimstones in-game, if I remembers right, is another name for sulfur ;D and there are a few ores and minerals that have sulfur, not to mention other materials that can be used to make acid. I like the suggestions, though I would think a capacity to manfacture glass vials be needed, since I don't know any other materials naturally avaliable in DF that most likely could endure the wide variety of chemistry of acids. Of course it'd be better if one could import sand, for those maps without. (No, I'm not a chemist, I just did a bit too much reading when I was kid!)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 03:07:42 pm »

Ooooooh, yes! Jars of acid. Which you then shoot from catapults. >:-D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »

Ooooooh, yes! Jars of acid. Which you then shoot from catapults. >:-D

Combined with the accidents suggestions we might see hilarity unfold!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 05:27:48 pm »

Sounds like a lot of fun. ;D

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:34 pm »

But...if we have acids, won't we need alkalis?
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 01:55:15 am »

Right. And how would they produce it.
From Wikipedia:

Hydrochloric acid was first discovered around 800 AD by the alchemist Jabir ibn Hayyan (Geber), by mixing common salt with sulfuric acid ("vitriol"). Jabir discovered many important chemicals, and recorded his findings in over 20 books, which carried his chemical knowledge of hydrochloric acid and other basic chemicals for hundreds of years. Jabir's invention of the gold-dissolving aqua regia, consisting of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid, was of great interest to alchemists searching for the philosopher's stone.

Out of rock. Right. What kind of rock would it be? An acid rock?
Regarding Sulfuric Acid (aka Vitriol):
The discovery of sulfuric acid is credited to the 8th century Muslim chemist and alchemist, Jabir ibn Hayyan (Geber). The acid was later studied by 9th century Persian physician and alchemist Ibn Zakariya al-Razi (Rhazes), who obtained the substance by dry distillation of minerals including iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate, FeSO4 • 7H2O, and copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate, CuSO4 • 5H2O. When heated, these compounds decompose to iron(II) oxide and copper(II) oxide, respectively, giving off water and sulfur trioxide, which combine to produce a dilute solution of sulfuric acid. This method was popularized in Europe through translations of Arabic and Persian treatises, as well as books by European alchemists, such as the 13th-century German Albertus Magnus.
So, yes, from stones.  Sort of.  And note that the compounds involved have more period-appropriate names, and other uses that could make them worth adding to Dwarf Fortress:

Iron(II) sulfate, aka Ferrous Sulfate, Green vitriol, or Iron vitriol.
Copper(II) sulfate, aka Cupric Sulfate, Blue vitriol, or Copper vitriol.

Most notably, they are used to color glass, and as dyes (in China, as early as the Song Dynasty -- ~1100 AD.)  They were obtained when water would accumulate in the appropriate sorts of mines.

Hmm, this page looks useful...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:15:45 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3]