Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: beta access via donation  (Read 11456 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: beta access via donation
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »

I agree with Sowelu. Spelling is awesome.

Especially when you consider that New Zealand now accepts chatspeak on academic tests. The pansies.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:12 pm »

... what level of hell have I stumbled upon?
A place where people hold spelling in high regard even though most of what they write are different methods of murdering cats.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:17:03 pm »

New Zealand now accepts chatspeak on academic tests.

so they make up an acronym or shorten something, grade the test, and when asked, they can pretty much say whatever they want.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:40:11 pm »

Save those contractions for text messaging.

Go to hell.  I got a text messaging package on my phone just because people insist on sending me messages, and I hate getting the ones spelled like this.  Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Well, in all due fairness there are still providers who charge ridiculous amounts (local provider does that here) for text messages, charging by the character.  So I have to argue that contractions are acceptable given valid economic reasons.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:49 pm »

I for one think I am the wrong person to say it, but this has gone horribly off topic.

Now, the OP's suggestion is not entirely bad, but I don't think it would work well with Toady One's ideology, but you'd have to ask him.

I know that if it was available, I would pay up to $20 to do beta testing for a release or something in that range.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 10:56:01 pm »

Toady seems to be remarkably in the "You don't have to pay to play" camp.   Giving access of early versions to some would deprive others- and alienate a good deal of the community.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 12:13:25 am »

Also, we don't have any 'pirates' to worry about. Becase the game is not going to be sold at some point. Donations are voluntary.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:52 am »

And Toady's far classier than the moujiks behind Unreal World.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:16 pm »

Go to hell.  I got a text messaging package on my phone just because people insist on sending me messages, and I hate getting the ones spelled like this.  Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Well, in all due fairness there are still providers who charge ridiculous amounts (local provider does that here) for text messages, charging by the character.  So I have to argue that contractions are acceptable given valid economic reasons.

I'm charged 10 cents to send AND receive.

Doesn't stop my friends from texting me anyway.  Bastards, if they'd just CALL ME it'd be free for both of us.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »

I'm charged 10 cents to send AND receive.

Doesn't stop my friends from texting me anyway.  Bastards, if they'd just CALL ME it'd be free for both of us.

You americans seriously get shafted on mobile phones. Worst I put up with is a minimum call charge on my UK phone.
And if I don't have more than a few seconds of talking to do, I just use my international phone, which is 10p a minute to UK phones instead of 15p flat rate unless I go over however much time that gives me. It's 2p a minute to most of the rest of the world. Two pence.
This means I can call people in america from britain cheaper than they can call someone across the room.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 02:41:54 am »

Especially when you consider that New Zealand now accepts chatspeak on academic tests. The pansies.

Wait, what? You can't be serious.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 08:03:31 am »

What the hell people? Texts cost me 10p each, and I get 300 free ones (that's £30 worth) if I top up at least £10 a month. You get charged to receive and charged by the character, in some cases?
I'm shocked, offended and flabbergasted.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 08:16:32 am »

What the hell people? Texts cost me 10p each, and I get 300 free ones (that's £30 worth) if I top up at least £10 a month. You get charged to receive and charged by the character, in some cases?
I'm shocked, offended and flabbergasted.

Frankly, since I don't have a cellphone and haven't become accustomed to such charges, I find even a few cents/pence to be absurd.  I mean, seriously, these are messages that don't even break the 1 kilobyte range.  And they can probably be compressed even further very easily; phones these days are practically just miniature computers after all, and plain text compresses very well.

I simply cannot comprehend how this service that phone companies provide could possibly be complicated enough or a large enough drain on resources/bandwidth that they'd have to charge anything more than like a single dollar extra each month to both cover their costs and make a nice profit.  Which means they are completely ripping off millions of people, even those with the more "reasonable" plans, assuming I'm at all correct.

[And thus I contribute to this very clearly off-topic discussion.  I deserve a slap on the wrist.  *ow*]

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 08:19:34 am »

I am posting this post using my phone. I'm just using a number pad, not a keyboard, like on a blackberry or something. This is how I type text messages as well. It's really not that difficult, I don't know why some people just can't do it.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »

I am posting this post using my phone. I'm just using a number pad, not a keyboard, like on a blackberry or something. This is how I type text messages as well. It's really not that difficult, I don't know why some people just can't do it.

Wait, what? How do you use those things? Seriously. It takes me three minutes to type out a single word on a cellphone keypad.

Also, Bloodsheder, sorry about the level of, uh, "flaming" that your post seems to have elicited. We're usually pretty welcoming to newbies, but you might want to work on spelling and grammar and read some of the DevLog and such if you want to be taken seriously. Toady thus far seems to be very much against charging for anything. If you want to contribute, you can donate, but don't expect it to get you the next release any faster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3