Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: beta access via donation  (Read 11468 times)

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: beta access via donation
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 05:30:05 pm »

Especially when you consider that New Zealand now accepts chatspeak on academic tests.

No we don't. I think it was proposed a couple years ago, but that doesn't mean it ever passed. If you try and snd n ur tst lk u r sndng a txt, the markers will without a doubt fail you outright.

Derailling aside, $2.50 for early access to alpha builds? Not only does that go against what Toady is standing for, but you're being remarkably cheap. Oh, and there is a reason why Toady doesn't dump each test build out there willy-nilly. Imagine how frustrating it would be to play the bleeding edge version of DF, but have most of the new features incomplete, broken or just plain buggy at that point.

In short: :|
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:33:35 pm by Anticheese »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:59 pm »

Ever wonder why you can get paid money for donating plasma, but you don't get anything for donating blood, even though there is always a demand?

Well, you can't pay people a hundred bucks to donate blood, there's better ways to save lives with that money.  And you'd also run into a lot of problems like people with diseases donating and lying about it, or people donating seven days a week and then dying horribly.

But here's the thing.  They actually did try paying people small amounts.  And people donated A WHOLE LOT LESS.  Because when people do a Good Thing for No Personal Gain, they feel warm and fuzzy which is a big reward to them.  But when people do a Good Thing for Money, they don't feel warm and fuzzy at all, and often whine about how small the reward is!

In short, as shown by actual social experiments, people donate stuff a lot less when you reward them for it.  And seriously, try and tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't whine if you couldn't get a functional alpha for a whole month after "donating" five bucks.  Do the good thing and donate anyway, and let Toady release when he's ready!  And please, don't make him eat nothing but ramen...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:22 am »

The same thing happened in israel when a day care started charging money for kids who were not picked up on time.

The number of children left there longer went up, because it became an economic choice rather than a social obligation.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 06:20:16 pm »

This is among the most interesting threads I've ever read.  First the internet tells someone to spell better, then there's a discussion of the price of text messages, and finally two people in a row have read Freakonomics.

Erm... I suppose the actual topic has been answered pretty much fully.  Yes, I'm sure the creators are aware that they're allowed to give special things to people who pay money, no there really isn't anything they're holding back to give.
* piesquared goes back to lurking.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 07:44:10 pm »

And then a lurker came out for a brief moment to make his first post!  Truly a successful thread if ever there was one.  ;D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 12:52:33 am »

And then an old MIA stumbles in, blinks, and stumbles out...
Pages: 1 2 [3]