Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: beta access via donation  (Read 11315 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
beta access via donation
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:06 am »

hey toady if people give you 2.50 dollars could u give them the latest build for DF. it would be nice that ppl can see what u have done for months plus test for any bugs that can show up. just a thought though i wrry about pirates letting this loose. 

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: beta access via donation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:11:39 am »

Umm, this is the alpha of the game, Toady isn't even up to beta, and he already releases new stuff for us all the time.

It would just be extra work for him to release more often, as he'd have to make sure he wasn't in the middle of something that he knew would cause errors.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:29:06 am »

The development binaries Today has right now is litterally unplayable.  Don't think "what we have now + what he's added"... instead you need to think "What we have now, minus everything even tangentally related to what is going to be added, plus what he has already added."

He -gutted- major systems.  That's why we don't have a release now.  Fundamantal features no longer work.  This includes things like history generation, and having nobility not crash your game.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:30:58 am »

Huh?! This topic makes no sense.  ::)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:47:13 am »

Tormy I THINK I understand

He wants Toady to basically withhold months of progress from the public (so lets say... he holds back 6 months of updates)

Those who pay $2.50 get access to the latest version.

Anyhow I will say that I am downright against this proposition.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:22 am »

Tormy I THINK I understand

He wants Toady to basically withhold months of progress from the public (so lets say... he holds back 6 months of updates)

Those who pay $2.50 get access to the latest version.

Anyhow I will say that I am downright against this proposition.

No, that's not what he's saying at all.

The OP wants to be able to pay Toady to get the release that Toady is currently working on, just a bit early. He is failing to realize that Toady releases versions as quickly as he can make them playable, and, therefore, the version Toady is currently working on is unplayable. Just a misinformaed OP with very poor grammar, spelling, and syntax.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:18 am »

Patience is a virtue.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:34 am »

The OP wants to be able to pay Toady to get the release that Toady is currently working on, just a bit early. He is failing to realize that Toady releases versions as quickly as he can make them playable,

Or faster, in some cases.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:06:23 am »

The reason there is such a delay between updates is because Toady is trying to ensure that newer versions of Dwarf Fortress will not break Save Compatability for a very long time.

Though this aspect doesn't REALLY concern me as I keep my old version if I still have a fortress to play. Though it is apperantly a large concern for people who have 10 year fortresses.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:16:36 am »

hey toady if people give you 2.50[?] dollars could u give them the latest build for DF. it would be nice that ppl can see what u have done for months(poor structure) plus test for any bugs that can show up(more poor structure). just a thought though i wrry about pirates letting this loose. 

Get firefox, use spell check, and use the whole word "you" instead of "u" AND CAPITALIZE!. Save those contractions for text messaging.

The idea: meh. Its not as bad as some things people have brought up. It's not likely to happen, though.

The closest thing I might expect to see is some kind of "sub-alpha" system, where toady releases stuff like the 40d# series with these new features, even if it breaks save compatibility every time.

That's something I've never understood, this "holy save" concept. But I've rarely had fortresses last more than a decade anyway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »

Save those contractions for text messaging.

Go to hell.  I got a text messaging package on my phone just because people insist on sending me messages, and I hate getting the ones spelled like this.  Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:36 pm »

Save those contractions for text messaging.

Go to hell.  I got a text messaging package on my phone just because people insist on sending me messages, and I hate getting the ones spelled like this.  Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

His statement was likely not a personal assault on you. He was likely making a far more general statement about the way many, many people choose to compose text messages. He doesn't seem to be implying that it is the right way to text.

Also, members being critical of grammar quickly gives a forum a reputation for being full of arrogance. I don't see how this will help build a community. I'm not saying to let people run around typing like preteens on AIM, but I think one reminder is fine. Not everyone has to jump on him.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 01:16:32 pm »

Oh come on, let me vent.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 02:43:03 pm »

Oh come on, let me vent.  :D

Beyond carefully composed, passive-aggressive arguments, I can't see how I'd stop you. Vent away. :P

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »

Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

--> and I have a new sig.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3