Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Generic Succession Game #34  (Read 13332 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Succession Game #34
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:39:42 am »

I'll go after Marko.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:12:56 am »

I'll jump on the bandwagon. Never done a succession fort but read plenty of em. And I'm good at ricockulous food surpluses. ;-)

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:39:19 am »

Alright, my turn suckas.

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:36:39 am »

Spring, Year 39:
From what I can see, my predecessor had little skill or vision in the area of fort design. He could not even understand some of the most basic fort-starting concepts! For instance, our wagon still stands, assembled, outside the entrance of the fort. Furthermore, our choice of fortress location leaves the smallest amount of potential, and ridiculously cramped space. Pro-tip: Start at the base of the mountain, not the peak. Regardless of this horrible location, we must press on. I will begin work on saving our starving band of dwarves immediately.

I have ceased work on useless crafts, and instead have turned Bob Honda's attention to smelting ore and metalworking. Hopefully we'll be able to make something useful.

I removed all designations that were pre-existing, since the entrance plan is horrible. Our miners will begin work on a new location, while our dwarves scrape by in the old one. Red Fortune will continue to fish, and Carl will continue to gather for sustenance. I have also marked all of our animals, cats and horses, for slaughtering. This is necessary to prevent the inevitable catsplosion.

Unpause!

I have planned a new entrance, which will help us in moving our fort into the future. I am a fan of the five-wide entrance, particularly because it allows you more room for various traps and defensive techniques.

Also, about Carl, just kidding! Plant gathering is lame. Mechanic-ing is cool! Carl is our new mechanic. You go get 'em Carl!

Elvesssssssssssssssssssss

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 09:41:17 am »

Fake cliffhanger!

Did I mention this fortress meanders all over the fucking place? I mean, what the fuck is all this shit?

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:19 am »

Where was I? Yes, elveses. I hate elves. So much. This isn't some kind of irrational bias.

1. Elves are ugly.
2. Elves are stupid.
3. Elves are fucking smug.

Look at that smug motherfucker.

What do they have to offer us?

Basically nothing. Let's steal from them!

I seized all of their goods. Thankfully, they had some brew and food. That should keep us alive for a few more months. Look, I understand the ethical problems. But we're starving.

Fun with a chance of losing!

What is this? An everything stockpile?

I've kept up work on the entrance, and added a barracks close to it. I've also designated a future dining area. I think my predecessor focused too much on providing individual housing too early in the game.

What's this? You'll find out later!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 10:30:07 am »

Hey, can I sign up? I don't have much else to do :P
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 11:22:51 am »

Alright, I give up. This fortress is un-salvageable. My plan was to make another little area for a champion hammerdwarf, who would have his own tiny fortress and stockpiles. That would be me. Do it if you want, don't if you don't. Most of all, good luck.

This is the save from where I left off:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qyjwyjm5qet

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 11:45:24 am »

Starting up!

Gosh what a mess, lemme see what I can do...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:38 pm »

My god, is it that bad?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:20 pm »

[ ] Plays well with others.

I wouldn't check that box :) I think he's just RPing a cranky dwarf.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »

Update for Spring:

Late Winter / Early Spring... I think
I've been traveling for about a month now. King Litast sent me off to some piss of an outpost to "whip it up into shape". Whatever. Apparently a year or two ago, not exactly clear, a group of 7 dwarves set out into the wilderness and created some place called "Grizzlyoar" (lovely name) and from reports we've heard, the last guy in charge made a complete mess of things. I'm hungry, haven't had a proper meal in weeks, and am wondering what I did to piss off the King so much for him to send me out here. I thought he liked my plans for his new throne room, even the part with the never ending kobold crusher.

Later Winter... I hope
Getting even colder, nights are very long now. I am in sight of the mountain that is where this outpost supposedly lies, but I don't see any sign of it anywhere. Will look around in the morning to see what I can find.

Early Spring, I think
I found the entrance (and I use the term lightly) to the fortress. There are workshops outside. Etur Dammit it all! What the hell have these lot been doing lately? A flustered looking dwarf came running out of the fortress, handed me the keys to the offices, then made a mad dash for the horizon. What the hell was going on here? My stomach grumbled, and I needed something to eat.

Not Quite as Early Spring, I'm sure.
Days are starting to get longer, so I think we're officially in spring now. I've completed my inspection of the fortress, and am in shock. This place is a complete mess. The area that should be the farms is flooded with water, half the workshops are above ground, housing is pretty decent, but I think it is rather too early to be focusing on that. And... AND!!! Somebody has been turning raw magnetite into Mugs! MUGS!!!! Oh and our stocks? Somebody rather gleefully put a bunch of question marks through the books. Lovely.

I call a meeting of all 7 of the dwarves who were supposed to turn this place into a friggin beacon of hope and dwarven might, and try to sort out this mess. I tell Mr. Fortune to stop mucking about with fishing and butchering and get our books into order. I send the two dwarves holding picks down to the 'farms' and make a large area for the water to spread out. The rest, I told to make themselves useful, round up some cats or something and make us some meat, or start moving rocks around. I didn't care.

New area to dig out:

Next day
I am getting very hungry. Haven't eaten in a while, and when I went to look for the kitchens I got lost. Still haven't been able to find anything to eat in a while. Mr. Fortune stopped in my office and cheerily told me we only have six bits of plant, and 40 drinks of alcohol. I nearly threw my paperweight at him.

Mid-Early Spring... I think
Hungry... haven't eaten in a while, the bastards got to the plants before I could. I'm wondering what dwarf meat tastes like.

Late-Mid-Early Spring

Hungry... still... haven't eaten in a month... God what is it!? Elves? Can we eat elves?

1st Slate, 39
The Elves have arrived, and they have a few bits of something that's green and might be edible. Mr. Fortune rounded up some of the magnetite mugs *gumble* and traded it for food. The elves also knew what day of the bloody year it was, so I was able to finally get a date in my journal. Thank Etur for that! I quickly grabbed one of the bits of plant and ran for my room, before one of the other grubby mongrels gets a hold of it. We also got a couple 'pets' from the elves, and Mr. Fortune had a hard time keeping a straight face when he promised to 'take good care of them'.

2nd Slate, 39
Thief! Bob Honda discovered a kobold lurking outside the fortress. Then proceeded to rip the kobold limb from limb. Still hungry... Elf food is not very satisfying... I wonder how kobold meat tastes...

25th Slate, 39
The water in the 'someday might be farms' is starting to evaporate... finally. Now we might actually have some food to feed the 7 of us. I'm glad there's no more mouths to worry about... CRAP!

27th Slate, 39
I am in shock. 22 Dwarfs. What the hell are we going to do with 22 Dwarfs!?!? There's too many! TOO MANY! Why the hell would they send 22 dwarfs to us from the mountain home when we don't even have a farm yet? Crap! crap! crap!

Okay, calm down, I'll put them to work moving rocks around, nobody needs to know we don't have enough food to last a month... right? right? Note to self: Put a stash of food in my room that nobody can see.

28th Slate, 39
I had a meeting with the new arrivals today. 20 adults, 2 children. Children!?!? CHILDREN!?!? Who brings a child to a new fortress with no food? Getting hungry... wonder how much meat... no. No.

Where was I? Right. I talked over things with the new arrivals. I told them, "I don't care what your profession was before, from now on you're all to be known as working stiffs! Get to work moving crap around, and you'll also help farming. Any questions?"

A lone ranger in the croud pointed his crossbow at me and said, "I have a question."

"Right, uh.... you can go do hunting, sure yeah, bring us back lots of meat."

And with that I set them to work removing stone from the farming area and the hopefully soon to be stocked dining hall.

1st Hematite, 39
Summer has arrived. Thank the gods the water has cleared, and the lads have gotten seeds planted in the farm. Just a little while longer and we'll have a steady supply of plump helmets. Mmmm... Plump helmets, just like mom used to make.

Oh god what's wrong with me!?!? ME drooling over those nasty bits of fungus? This is a dire situation and we must get more food!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »

I find Hunting to be useful as well.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 03:18:37 pm »

Hm....
*Twirles mustache*

Sure, i'll join. Can I have another list, though?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »

BAHAHAHA! I really stuffed it up, I never start in the mountains, and never bring an anvil, but what the hell, I'm just giving excuses.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11