Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Generic Succession Game #34  (Read 13330 times)

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Succession Game #34
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »

I might join in on this bloodline if it's all still going.  I just had a look at the fortress and it looks like it has a lot to offer...

Ok, defiantly sign me up,  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:28:51 pm by Coilgunner »
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:00 pm »

The Summer report:

4th Hematite, 39
Apparently Mr. 'I'm a ranger and don't need to do other stuff' decided to put all his kills in the middle of the entry way where it can sit and rot. An amazing smell, none like it in the rest of the world. Starting to make the thought of plump helmets more palatable.

5th Hematite, 39
The sound of rock being chiseled all night kept me awake. It turns out some 'bright' individual put the housing RIGHT ABOVE the crafters... I get out some paper and start scribbling designs, I remember reading about a rather effective housing arrangement back when I was in the mountain home. Something about four shafts of stair wells with rooms branching off at the corners that allows lots of dwarfs to live in a small amount of space. I drew up the plans then sent it off to the miners. We're going to do some moving around.

12th Hematite, 39
Mr. Fortune all of a sudden went into some strange mood, stopped updating our books like a good book keeper, and ran straight for a craftsdwarf's workshop. I tried to explain to him he's a book keeper, not a crafter, but he wouldn't listen to me, and has now started going around the fort looking for different things...

13th Hematite, 39
Guess it didn't take long to find what he was looking for because Mr. Fortune has now locked everybody out of the workshop and has begun some sort of creation. I'm betting it has spikes!

16th Hematite, 39
A Hunam diplomat came. Looked at Mr. Fortune locked up in his workshop tinkering with some toy, then left in a huff of anger because our Broker wouldn't talk to him right this moment. I could never understand Hunams... However it looks like the Hunam traders aren't as unforgiving and are making their way to us with some wagons, hopefully lined with food.

17th Hematite, 39
Well... that didn't take long. Mr. Fortune came out of the craftshop triumphantly holding... holding... a... a... *snirk* mustn't laugh... *snicker* he... he... holding so high above his head... a *falls over laughing* here... here's a pic, you can see for yourself! AHAHAHAHA!!!!

18th Hematite, 39
With Mr. Fortune's recent triumph, and his new ring stashed into the abyss known as 'the pile' I tell him to get back to work and get some trading goods ready to trade with the Hunams.

22nd Hematite, 39
Mr. Fortune worked his magic and managed to convince the Hunams to give us lots of wood, meat, barrels (some with drink still in it), and green bits in exchange for a bunch of rock mugs. After seeing how effective these rock bits are at getting us useful bits, I tell a couple of the working stiffs to stop hauling crap and start turning rock into crap to buy trade for useful crap.

5th Malachite, 39
Miasma is everywhere. None of these damn dwarves are picking up after themselves. There's bits of rotting flesh all over the place. I try to convince the working stiffs to clean up the place, but they're too busy moving rocks around. Arg! This place is starting to smell worse than my grandma's mine. There's a refuse pile outside, but nobody seems interested in using it. *grumble*

18th Malachite, 39
The miners have made excellent progress on the new apartments. They're about half-way done now. I decided to order up some necessities for the fort (you can never have enough doors!) Then I gave the orders to Mr. Fortune and told him to make it official. He gave me an odd look from his giant piles of paper that had the book keeping records strewn around his office, but I shrugged him off. I think the poor bugger has been working too hard, maybe he needs a pleasant fishing trip... naaaaaah!!

1st Galena, 39
A new month, plump helmets are starting to pile up. I look around to see if anybody is going to cook the stuff, and get strange looks. Bah, I knew it would be up to me to feed this bunch. I put on a white fluffy hat and take charge of the kitchens. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, but it can't be that hard to cook... right? Anybody know what you need to make bread?

5th Galena, 39
Good news! While the miners were excavating out one of the rooms, they found coal! This is excellent for when we get the metal industries up and running. Hopefully this mountain will have plenty of coal for abundant metal production to even make that lousy good for nothing king jealous of sending me out to this piss hole!

8th Galena, 39
The miners tell me they've finished excavating the apartments. It looks great, now just need to fill it with furniture and people. Each floor (save the top, which has a meeting room that would be good for a statue garden) has 16 3x3 rooms squished together, meeting at 4 vertical shafts with stairs running up and down. I built 6 levels, which should accommodate 96 dwarves (plus 11 on the top level, putting it at well over a hundred rooms) If by some strange miracle we manage to get more dwarves, there is plenty more room both up and down to add more levels, and more rooms. I order the miners to finish digging out the coal vein, then start doing exploratory digging to get a feel of the mineral wealth of the mountain.

Attached is a picture of one of the levels:

11th Galena, 39
With the completion of the apartments, I ordered the deconstruction of the old bedrooms. Quite frankly they were a mess and really a pain to get to. Will probably be a month of discomfort while get everything moved, but hopefully things will be nice and tidy by Autumn.

21st Galena, 39
With Summer nearly over, I realize time is getting short, I order the working stiffs to set up some more farm space for wheat and pig tails. We'll need the cloth to make sure... you know... we are wearing more than rags. Plus we will need some bags. And wheat, oh what it would be to have some flour!

1st Limestone, 39
Summer is over, Autumn has arrived. That means our fellow dwarves from back home will arrive soon. Hopefully they have something good to report back home about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:02:41 pm by Marko »
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 05:37:24 am »

I really like that idea for accommodation with the vertical shafts, I'll keep it in mind next time... And a RING?! I was expecting an artifact axe of absolute awesomeness... GAH!?!

I am ashamed (both about the ring and my work)
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:27 am »

don't be too ashamed! The whole point of succession games is we all play differently, and so we 1: learn different ways to do things and 2: learn how to adjust our play style to work with the way people set things up before us

oh and 3: have "fun"
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »

I'll also sign up to try and salvage this mess.  ;)
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 02:06:25 pm »

The Autumn Update:

12th Limestone, 39
Another Kobold trying to steal from us, this time the natural wildlife (see: a fox) scared the little bugger away. One less problem in the world I suppose.

14th Limestone, 39
Moving into the new apartments is not going well (see, not at all) everybody's too busy doing other stuff. I order all the working stiffs to ignore everything else for the moment and just concentrate on moving furniture for the next month. See if we can get ourselves a comfy home already!

Later 14th Limestone, 39
Dwarven traders are here! Hurah! I order Mr. Fortune to get his lazy butt out of his pile of paperwork and up to go do some serious trading!

17th Limestone, 39
Filth everywhere! 2 more kobolds attempted to sneak their way into our fortress, but ran away scared when they bumped into the dwarven caravan, and the caravan's rather well armed guards...

21st Limestone, 39
Mr. Fortune did his best, but our goods weren't nearly enough to get as much supplies as I would have liked. We'll get by, but I wish we could have gotten more meat. *sigh* oh well. I better tell those Rock Artists to stop moping around and churn out more rock bits dammit!

27th Limestone, 39
Tulon Tantekkud, one of the new comers, who *should* be moving furniture around has been taken by some sort of strange mood, and is off doing Arnok knows what... better keep an eye on him.

2nd Sandstone, 39
After have a discussion with the liaison, I ordered us some beef, drink, and cheese for next year. We must have proper food! And here's a list of what they want in return (not sure how there could possibly be an anvil shortage in the mountain home, but didn't feel like asking!)

8th Sandstone, 39
After a rousing few drinks, we waved off the Lia son. All in all a good meeting with our fellows back home. I'm getting worried about Tulon, he's been standing around twitching... looking for something... I'm not sure what's wrong with him.

23rd Sandstone, 39
While taking checking out the apartments to make sure they were coming along nicely, I noticed Jacke Wilde laid out on one of the beds with a busted up leg. I asked around wondering if anybody knew what happened, and nobody seems to know. Apparently something got a hold of him outside, but nobody is sure what, exactly. He just turned up in one of the beds. And best of all, there's no buckets for anybody to bring him water with! I send word to Mr. Fortune to order up a couple wood buckets... *now* so we don't have some guy with a bad leg going and dieing of thirst on us.

5th Timber, 39
I've spent most of autumn turning fat into tallow (we sure do seem to have lots around). I think I've made enough for now, and I'm going to try a serious go at this cooking thing. Let's see... a piece of meat... a piece of tallow... mince it a bit...

mmm.... doesn't that just look delicious? So much better than eating raw plump helmets at least... one of the working stiffs complained about it chipping his teeth, to which I replied, 'that's all part of the dining experience!'

19th Timber, 39
I'm afraid Tulon snapped. He stopped staring at the wall in the entry way and started running around babbling. He's really starting to freak me out! I tried talking to him, but all I got was mutterings along the lines of, 'alliwantedwasgemshopwhydidntyoumakegemshopjustwantedgems gems! GEMS! GEEEEMMMSSS!!!'
I have no idea what he's going on about, but I think he's suicidal. I told the lads to keep an eye on him, he should be rather entertaining to watch.

23rd Timber, 39
It's starting to get cold out, Winter is coming fast. Aside from the babbling freak running around the corridors, I have some good news to report. Every dwarf now has a place to rest his head and call his very own. While not fully furnished, there's a room and a bed for everybody (even the children!) now. I'm using the top level of the apartments as a temporary furniture stockpile so furnishings can be quickly moved into place as they are built.

27th Timber, 39
Sad news today I'm afraid Jacke died of dehydration. The lazy carpenter finally got around to making a bucket to bring water to Jacke in, but before we could make it to the creek he died from thirst. I feel terrible, I ordered a couple coffins to be made, and going to look into making some tombs but... oooh... look at that pretty axe he had.... DIBS!

1st Moonstone, 39
Winter has arrived. Things are starting to come together, but in the last season we suffered our first loss. And I'm worried we'll have our second soon, as Mr. Babble as we like to call him isn't eating or drinking anything. He'll probably be following Jacke soon (although a little bit more humorously!) Going to look into carving out tombs this winter, and maybe see if I can have a look at our defenses as well. I fear as we get larger we may attract the attention of gobbos soon...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

:(

Jacke Wilde died.

That's sad. Also, 2 strange moods, and Darth suffered from neither of them!?!?!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 03:18:21 pm »

sadly I didn't even notice he was injured until he was already thirsty (swear I never got the 'jack has been injured' message) I just happened to see him laying in bed one day. And with no buckets... well an injured dwarf is screwed. Tried making some but it didn't get done in time :(
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:11 pm »

sadly I didn't even notice he was injured until he was already thirsty (swear I never got the 'jack has been injured' message) I just happened to see him laying in bed one day. And with no buckets... well an injured dwarf is screwed. Tried making some but it didn't get done in time :(

A shame  :'(  I've had that happen to me before.  Err...well my dwarfs.

Oh, and what exactly is the players list?  Is there one?  If not, I'll just look at the posts then.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:15:01 pm by Coilgunner »
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

The only list I've seen is "I'm next, then X" so, you'll have to read through, I might make a list though.

Oh and err.... Did you ever set Jacke off hunting?... Because... Yeah...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:55:10 pm by Red Fortune »
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »

Ok, that works for me.

I guess It's Marco, then Gumball135, then Woose1 then me, and then Carcer.  Does that look about right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:47:09 pm by Coilgunner »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »

Here ye go, enjoy.
Let me know if there is anyone I missed/put in wrong order.

38: Red Fortune FAILED HORRIBLY
39: Madmonkey24 Gave up like a coward.
39: Katsuun Technical issues
39: Marko Current
40: Varkarrus
41: Chromie
42: Gumball135
43: Woose1
44: Coligunner
45: Carcer
46: ?
47: ?
48: ?
49: ?
50: ?
Oh and Varkarrus? Can you put this in the first post?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:52:21 pm by Red Fortune »

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:07 pm »

Done.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »

Cool thanks, Whoops, missed the first page...
  :-[

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:17 am »

Winter (and my final) update:

3rd Moonstone, 39
The miners report they have completed their first exploratory digging. Just some simple branches from a long downward sloping shaft, but a good start. They report seeing quite a large amount of silver, both pure and impure forms. While not as good as gold... or other metals... it's still rather valuable, and useful. While I don't think we're quite situated enough to begin smelting, whoever is to come might find it useful to know. There's also a lot of magnetite and coal in the upper levels of the mountain, so iron and possibly steel production isn't out of the question.

7th Moonstone, 39
The furniture is all done being moved, so I told the working stiffs to get back to moving rocks around. Also I decided to promote one of them to Engraver to make an effort to make the walls look a little less ugly. Here's hoping...

14th Moonstone, 39
I spent most of the day in my quarters scribbling on paper thinking of an idea for the tombs. I have to admit I was a bit stumped, and I started absent mindedly drawing circles on the paper, then a circle inside the circle, then circles around the circle... then it hit me. It was perfect! A blissful break from our blocky world! Some curves, connected... it was beautiful! I showed it to the miners, while they grunted something about only being able to work with 90 degree angles, they said they'd see what they could do. Here's hoping for something to brag about to the other fortresses!

17th Moonstone, 39
More kobolds attempting theft. This time 'Carl' the self proclaimed actor managed to play the role of a real dwarf quite well as he pummeled one to death that managed to sneak past the trade depot. Was quite amusing to watch.

19th Moonstone, 39
I'm starting to think it's time to start training an army. 2 goblin snatchers were spotted trying to enter the fortress as well. Note to self: Take a look at the working stiffs and see if any suckers... I mean volunteers would be interesting in forming our first militia.

23rd Moonstone, 39
After looking over their records... I find four expendable... I mean highly qualified dwarves to start up our army. I placed Onul Ducimoltar in charge of Logem Mengmatul, Sodel Dodokoshosh, and Kubuk Shemenseb. They call themselves "The Geared Deer" A name that will undoubtedly strike fear in the enemy, or make them choke on a pretzel at least. I tell the four of them to start practicing wrestling, and they quickly proceed to start tackling each other around the dining room. Nothing like watching a brawl to go with a tallow biscuit!

5th Opal, 39
Dammit! Another hunter got himself injured. I'm not sure what's so dangerous out there, but whatever it is, it's nasty! Cerol this time came back with an even worse leg wound. Luckily we have buckets this time, so he better not die on us dammit!

7th Opal, 39
Mr. Babble finally babbled himself to death, well more of he starved to death, since he refused to eat anything since the whole strange mood he had a couple months ago. Well I better go scratch another tick mark into the wall. Hoping I don't have to add anymore during my term here, but I have a feeling there will be more to come... sad to say. Work on the tombs is coming along nicely at least, so he'll have a decent place to rest. Just need to get that damn Lazy Engraver to stop mucking about and start making some coffins!

20th Opal, 39
Had the miners take a small break from digging out the tombs to open up a water shaft from the brook. This way we can now get water without having to leave the fortress! Maybe in the future we'll be able to put in a well or something. Who knows!

22nd Opal, 39
I took a stroll outside today, and peered down the bottomless pit I decided to nickname Marla. Deep inside I noticed something had been killing Naked Mole Dogs, and now they were rotting out in the open. I'm a little concerned and hope nobody's staying around there very often... I know the lads go over there every so often to nick some web along the top to turn into silk.. but that web has to be coming from somewhere... right? I think I'm gonna stay underground from now on...

6th Obsidian, 39
Is it Obsidian already? Wow, where has the time gone? The tombs are about halfway dug out. Jacke and Mr. Babble have a place to sleep the eternal sleep at least. Which is good, because their bodies were really starting to smell!

22nd Obsidian, 39
My term here is almost done. While I know I was free to go when the year was up as per the terms from the King. I think I'm going to stay here. I've managed to etch out a decent place for myself, and yeah the place smells like crap, with a constant smell of rot in the air, and we're still just getting off the ground, but hey, I helped make it! That and somebody's gotta keep these fools fed!

23rd Obsidian, 39
Just when I thought the year would end without any more events, Cerol, one of the working stiffs, withdrew from society, probably has some strange ideas about making something or other... He quickly ran over and grabbed one of the clothing shops by the farms, and is now running around looking for stuff. Doubt he'll finish before the end of the year though...

23rd Obsidian, 39 (later that evening)
Well maybe that, apparently everything he needed was already in the shop because he has already started work on a mysterious creation!

27th Obsidian, 39
Well as a nice going away present I suppose, Cerol finished his project rather quickly. A silk skirt named "Rapidscreams" (I LOVE THE NAME!!) With some pictures of saguaros on it...

1st Granite, 40
Happy New Year! That's it! No more of this stupid worrying crap anymore! Woohoo! Now I can focus on cooking, and enjoying life. To whoever is next, I apologize for the mess laid around here, this is a rather messy bunch. I've tried to get them to clean up, but it's rather difficult. You might have to enforce some stronger litter policies or something...

Aaaaand... that's it!

Here's the final status of the fort:

^WOO ALCOHOL!

Also that status of Marko:

And here's how Red Fortune is holding up:

I took the liberty of uploading Grizzlyoar to the DF map archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5442-grizzlyoar so you can take a look around and see what I've been up to.

Well here's the save file for whoever is next:
www.roomiescomic.com/pics/dwarf.rar

Good Luck! (and hope you enjoyed my accounts)
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11