As long as the overall balance works, any combination of roles is ok
- 7 (58.3%)
No preference
- 2 (16.7%)
Other: Specifiy below
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia: Rules Discussion Thread  (Read 13458 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia: Rules Discussion Thread
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:33 pm »

I've been thinking about some rules modifications for the next round of the Paranormal Mafia game once the current one finishes.

So, I'll make this thread the official rules discussion area. None of these changes will effect the current game.

There are three types of rules changes, and I'll devote a post to each. Game Rules, Modified Roles, and New Roles.

I'll also put up polls throughout this to get some sort of consensus on things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia: Rules Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »

Game Rules:

Turn Length: I'm trying to decide if the current 48 hours for a day phase is sufficient. But doing lots of random extensions is a bit weird and potentially unfair, so I want to avoid that in the future.

So, this will be the first poll. What Day Phase Length do you think works best?
    Looks like 2 days is the favorite. So we'll keep what we have now, with 2 days and an extension over the weekend, since no one really seems active then anyway.
Nights will still be 24 hours or until I have all night phase PMs, since I haven't had any problems with that yet.

Speaking While Dead: The dead may post once after they have died to comment on their death. They may not provide any information about the game in this post. After this, any posting in the game before it has ended will result in a one game ban from future Paranormal games. Repeated abuse, or posts that have a major impact on the game, can result in a permaban from any future Paranormal games (and probably a lot of other Forum games as well as word gets around).

The only exception to this rule is the Ghost character, should that role exist in the game. Dead may freely PM a Medium character if that role is present in the game.

Event Order: Looks like there is strong sentiment to have a everything predetermined. Therefore, the order of events is as follows:

Role-blockers
Protectors
Investigators
Night Kills (The Paranoid War Vet (or equivalent) is sort of an exception, in that he'll kill anyone who targets them on THEIR turn, rather than his)

All kills will be effectively simultaneous. (I may make some literary liberties with this in the PMs, but there won't be any cases like the Dopps->Exterminator->Townie chain like Game 2 had)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:45:44 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:24:29 pm »

Modified Roles:

Agent: The doppelgangers can now have an agent of their own.

Exterminator Alien: Along with their power to night-kill, the Exterminator gets a selection of gear to pick from at the start of the game. The Exterminator picks one of the following:
  • one-time-use Personal Shield (which would work once as though guarded by the Protector)
  • one-time-use Holoform Modulator (which would work once when investigated, allowing you to choose a role and race to show as)
  • one-time-use Scanner (which would work once as a combination of the Agent and Detective, showing both Race and Role)

Doctor: Is renamed Protector. Ability stays the same, I just want a little more creative license in having a protective role. Having a doctor save someone from being eaten doesn't make as much sense as the role makes in other mafia variants. Doppelgangers may have a Protector of their own now, as well.

War Vet: Is renamed Paranoid War Vet. This is due to the Aggressive War Vet role added below.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:50:23 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:25:20 pm »

New Roles:

Feedback on the new roles is appreciated! Right now, these are all just ideas, and may or may not make it into the next round. And, of course, even if they do make it in there is no guarantee that they will all show up.

Medium: The medium can freely communicate with Dead characters via PM. This ability works during both the Day and Night phases. [human]

Ghost: When killed, the Ghost character returns to haunt the town. They can post freely in the thread during the day phase and PM people during the Night Phase. They cannot be killed (again), and do not get a vote during the Day Phase. [human]

Detective: During the night, the Detective can investigate a character to determine what role, if any, the character possesses. [human][doppelganger]

Telepath: The Telepath has limited psychic powers. Once per night, the Telepath can investigate a player and use their powers to determine the goal of that character. Since right now only Aliens have stated goals, this gets expanded a bit. Basically, everyone gets a 'Goal' that would be returned to the Telepath. 'Survive' for most townsfolk, 'Find' for seekers of either side, 'Kill' For dopps, exterminators, and the War Vet, and 'Protect' for Protector or Bodyguard. [human][doppelganger]

Bodyguard: This character is working to keep other characters safe, and will give their life to keep them safe. The bodyguard chooses one player to protect each night. If that player would die due to a night action, the Bodyguard will die in their place. The bodyguard can (obviously) only prevent one such attack. [human][doppelganger]

Mad Scientist: The Mad Scientist has been secretly working on his amazing project in the town. He was going to sell it to the government, but due to the current disaster, he's going to have to give it an early field test. At the beginning of the game the Mad Scientist picks which of the following inventions he wants to have:
  • Body Double: A perfect body double. It could be organic, robotic, even a hologram. Regardless, it takes his place in dangerous situations while he stays safe. If the Mad Scientist is killed, the body double takes his place. This also applies to lynches during the day phase. It's a one-use item, though, so he's vulnerable after it's been destroyed.
  • Security System: A highly advanced security system watches over the Mad Scientist's house. He knows the identity of anyone who visits his house during the night. He does now, however, know their purpose. Unless it's to kill him, and he finds that out the hard way.
  • Sentry Guns: Functions like the war vet, attacking and killing anyone who comes snooping around the Mad Scientist's house. However, it has limited ammo (it is just a prototype version), and only works on the first person to come by. Like the War Vet's ability, this can be turned off for a night. This makes the house safe for friendly visitors but leaves the Mad Scientist vulnerable to attack.
  • Snooper bot: This little bug-bot can trail another player at night and see where they go (if anywhere). It's got a weak power source, though, and some issues that need to be worked out, so it can only be used every other night.
[human][doppelganger]

Kook: The guy who's always seemed a bit "off" to everyone. Now his behavior has gotten even more erratic. It's really due to stress from the killings and whatnot, but it makes the Agent confuse him for a Doppelganger. [human]

Disciple of Truth: A psychic character who is on an eternal quest for truth. Once per game the Disciple may perform a ceremony of truth during the Day phase. This ceremony does a role-flip on another character (and, by extention, the Disciple). [human]

Witch/Warlock: The witch is a pro-town character. She is warded by powerful psychic powers, and will curse her killer upon her death. The one so cursed will die at the next dawn. If she is night-killed, her killer will die that night. If she is lynched, the last player to vote for her will die during the night phase. [human]

Psychic Warden: The psychic warden can use his abilities to foil other characters. Each night he can pick a character. That character cannot take any role-related actions for that night and following day. [human][doppelganger]

Mind Shield: This character is completely immune to all Psychic effects and abilities. The Mind Shield is not a role in itself, but an ability granted to a non-psychic character that may or may not already have a role. [human][doppelganger][alien]

Aggressive War Vet: This character is similar to the war vet, story wise. However, while the Paranoid War Vet stays at home and shoots anything that moves, the Aggressive War vet goes out hunting himself. He is a pro-town character who gets one kill each night. [human]

Reporter: Years of following celebrities around has given this person the ability to track anyone anywhere and keep out of sight in the process. Each night the Reporter can choose to follow someone to see where they go. They do NOT get any more information about what happens, only the location. Attempting to follow a Paranoid War Vet is still fatal, of course. [human][doppelganger]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:39:20 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »

Wait, what is this?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »

It's related to this game I'm running.

More specifically, this is for new stuff for Round 3 when it happens.
Come play Mafia with us!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:30:40 pm »

Oh. I guess I can't join then, huh.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:31:25 pm »

I think that the Day Phase should last 2 real days, unless someone requests that it be lengthened a little or people are still debating a lot.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 02:34:47 pm »

New rule:  Dead speaking will get banned for 1 (one) mafia game. 

It's happenning too much... In all bay12games mafias... dead people are speaking and that's not fun.

I think that a 3 day can be good but if everyone is inactive it's useless to have any deadline...

Maybe if someone doesn't post for 5 days he gets prodded like in mafiascum... if he is prodded once or twice (depending the lenght of the game) he will be replaced or modkilled.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »

Oh. I guess I can't join then, huh.

Not this round, but you can join in the next one!
Come play Mafia with us!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »

Dead people speaking doesn't hurt the game, unless they're giving out information. I propose that anyone taking the game way too seriously and writing up walls of text should be modkilled and banned for one (1) mafia game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »

I think I'll deal with modkill/ban stuff on an individual case basis.
Come play Mafia with us!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:40:59 pm »

Dead people speaking doesn't hurt the game, unless they're giving out information. I propose that anyone taking the game way too seriously and writing up walls of text should be modkilled and banned for one (1) mafia game.
??? what?  rule number one of mafia!!! Dead people dont speak... They are only entitled to a bah post that doesn't disclose any info...  your joke is not funny this time...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »

I think that the exterminator alien's new ability to survive a nightkill every night is too powerful, and significantly weakens the usefulness of the War Vet. I think that the Exterminator alien should be able to survive one night death per game, instead of needing to be killed twice on a single night to die.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 02:53:19 pm »

You know, think of the Exterminatior Alien as the Serial Killer. It's a tough role, but since you are not aligned as the Dopps, there is a possiblity that you can be ignored. Plus, you benieft if anybody (Dopp or Townie) gets lynched, with the sole exception of you being lynched.

I say that if the Exterminatior Alien targets the War Vet, both the War Vet and the Exterminator Alien dies. And if the Dopps and the Exterminator Alien targets the same guy, they both tag-team and get rid of the guy, rather than stupidly fight with each other.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:54:59 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5