As long as the overall balance works, any combination of roles is ok
- 7 (58.3%)
No preference
- 2 (16.7%)
Other: Specifiy below
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia: Rules Discussion Thread  (Read 13530 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia: Rules Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 03:03:22 pm »

Hmmm. I don't want the Exterminator to just die if he attacks the War Vet, since there can be multiple War vets in a game (have shown up in the current game). In that situation, it's a bit too difficult for him to win unless he gets really lucky and the dopps take out all the War Vets for him.

I could keep his current 50% chance to beat the War Vet, if people like that better.

And as an FYI, if the Exterminator and the Dopps target the same person, whoever gets their first kills them and the other just finds nothing to kill. They don't fight each other. That only happens if a dopp targets the Exterminator or vice-verse, and whoever is the attacker in that situation wins. The fight scene is just for flavor.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08:12 pm »

More dopp roles! It's hard on the poor dopps...
Or maybe this is the twice dopp in me speaking...
Nevertheless, with all the townie roles you are proposing, some more dopp roles to even it out would be nice. A dopp cop, or a dopp doc.
Long Live United Forenia!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:32 pm »

more dopp roles? come on dude... you died because you made a mistake... (we shall not discuss the game because you're dead) I think more dopps can seriously unbalance the game.   the mod should be careful and think of possible outcomes for all his changes.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »

Actually, yes, I'm thinking about having most roles be able to be gotten by dopps or humans. After all, the dopps do get all the memories of the person they eat. If they eat a cop, they should get some abilities out of that.

I haven't decided if dopps should be able to get psionic powers or not, though. Although my Night PMs do kind of suggest some sort of psionic ability already, as they have no eyes...

On the subject of balance, my script will give a weight (+/-) for each role in the game. That way if we have lots of town-friendly roles the dopps can get a power boost to even the score. If things are against the town, more town roles can be added in. I'm aiming for a self-balancing system. But that's the programmer in me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »

Actually, yes, I'm thinking about having most roles be able to be gotten by dopps or humans. After all, the dopps do get all the memories of the person they eat. If they eat a cop, they should get some abilities out of that.
so they kill a cop and they have the added value of gaining one? how's that balanced?  I don't agree.

If you haven't yet. Read the mafia wiki articles of balancing.  They're pretty useful.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not talking about while the game is going on, I'm talking about the pre-game set-up. Once the Dopps have taken over someone's persona, they're stuck with it. Same with my comment on an auto-balancing system. I'm just talking about my script that sets up the game.

So, no, if the dopps kill the Agent in the game they don't get anything out of it other than getting rid of the Agent. What I meant was that if the Town gets, say, an Agent, a Detective, and a Telepath then the Dopps could get a Protector or a Detective or something to help them out. Keep the game balanced at set-up.
Come play Mafia with us!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »

oh... ok.
I like that better.  You could give certain points to each role (according to it's power) and make the setup it iterate until the game is balanced.  Also another pool  for each alien... it needs to be able to ask the question :how are the chances for each team in the current setup? and find the more effective way. 

A game is balanced when everyone almost has the same chances to win.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »

I think the Exterminator should be immune to the War Vet, but not to the Dopps. It'd even it out a little.

Also, make games HAVE a specific time limit. 48 hours for Day and 24 hours for Night works. Give an extra 24 hours if it passes through weekends.

Also, Alexhans is right. Too many people post after they're dead. It needs to stop.

The Dopps are fine. It's the War Vets that kinda annoy me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 03:36:13 pm »

I'm personally ok with people posting after they are dead, they just need to stop saying things that give stuff away.

Hopefully the Medium and Ghost roles will help alleviate that problem by giving the dead a valid way to say their piece. With those in place, it's probably more valid to say that the dead can't post at all otherwise.

Too many war vets, huh? Well, with more role options we should see less of that kind of duplication.

Come play Mafia with us!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »

I'm personally ok with people posting after they are dead, they just need to stop saying things that give stuff away.

Hopefully the Medium and Ghost roles will help alleviate that problem by giving the dead a valid way to say their piece. With those in place, it's probably more valid to say that the dead can't post at all otherwise.
There are a lot of mafia games going on... Let them alleviate by talking in other games... Mafia is pretty simple.  If you give the dead a chance to talk then the killing of people to shut them up is useless.  And if they can talk but not give info they can always find a way to make a comment that means something to someone.  I think it's a big NO!  Unless you want to play some other kind of game and you should stop calling it mafia.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 04:44:58 pm »

Extensions because of inactivity is a horrible thing to do. It just keeps the already active people from continuing to be active. If people aren't being active in the game, send them PMs to remind them to do something. However, extensions because of a large amount of activity is okay.

If the Exterminator alien is going to be immune to night kills at all, I think it should be only immune to one night kill per game. Not per night, but for the entire game.

Medium is decent, but shouldn't be included if the Ghost is in. And vice versa for the Ghost.

The Agent, Detective, and Telepath would require serious balancing. Only one should exist in any game. Or maybe two if there's a lot of players.

Bodyguard is standard and acceptable.

Mad Scientist is fine too, but I think the inventions it can choose from may need some more balancing so that they would be pretty much the same as the others far as being useful goes, but they'd still be used for different things.

[Edited a little bit.]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:52:58 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 11:37:08 pm »

Ok, added some more roles and rules changes. Let me know what you think!
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 10:18:30 pm »

Ok, new poll is up!

Result of the previous poll: The current system of 2 days with extensions on weekends will be kept. I will not be doing extensions for inactivity otherwise. (I'll make an exception for things like holidays, though, since they're very similar to weekends)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:36 pm »

What're events?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 12:08:29 am »

I guess I should explain that better.

By this I mean Night events. For example, during the current game we had the dopps target the Exterminator who was targeting someone else. I rolled randomly to see who went first.

Another way to handle that situation would be to have a set list of event precedence. So I could have said that, say, Exterminators always took their action first, followed by dopps, followed by the Agent, etc. All of which would have changed the outcome quite a bit. This makes the game much more predictable. Whether or not people want some extra randomness or not in the game is what I'm trying to find out.

Does that make more sense?
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5