Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Rock Suspends Door.  (Read 1948 times)

Zam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d] Rock Suspends Door.
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:54:36 am »

Whenever I designate a door to be constructed on a tile that has any sort of rock on it, rather than move the rock the dwarves suspend the construction of the door.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Rock Suspends Door.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:54:49 am »

Either that stone is forbidden, or it's a known flaw of the current implementation.

The stone is being used by some other dwarf, and thus "locked" in place. The dwarf building the door cannot move it, and so the door construction is suspended. Once the stone using dwarf moves the stone (he might be sleeping/eating/dancing/mating somewhere), you can resume the door construction.

Or you can try hunting down the job using that stone and cancel it.

It's easily reproducible by mass building walls over an area of stones, with the construction material identical to the stones in the area. Quite often you'll get into the same situation.

Zam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:04 am »

The stone is neither forbidden or being used by another dwarf. It would just be something left behind from a miner. My workshops are on the other side of my fortress, using all the stone over there. I just end up having to tag the rocks for dumping before I can build the door.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:54:08 am »

Is it possible that the stone is being used in some nearby construction, rocks can be used by things that don't involve workshops... Also it may be the target of a hauling job, a workshop may have used a stone from a stockpile, and then the stockpile asked for a rock, and chose your lucky friend. You could try removing that rock from your stockpiles to test it, or you can wait until the dwarf arrives to build the door then forbid and unforbid the rock to clear any jobs on it, or dump the rock separately...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:42 pm »

I've got a similar problem in my current fortress, and its not just rocks that are causing problems.

Significantly, its a reclaimed fortress, and most of the items that are causing problems (mostly mechanisms and corpses) were all things left over from the previous fortress.  (And I think the rocks might be as well).

The mechanisms were dropped when HFS destroyed some of my flood gates (and traps as well, I think), and the corpses (all dwarfs) never decayed.

The items are not being used by anything, cannot be used by anything, and cannot be dumped either.

I've tried designating an appropriate stockpile under them, but they still don't get recognised for any job.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:26:57 pm »

I've got a similar problem in my current fortress, and its not just rocks that are causing problems.

Significantly, its a reclaimed fortress, and most of the items that are causing problems (mostly mechanisms and corpses) were all things left over from the previous fortress.  (And I think the rocks might be as well).

The mechanisms were dropped when HFS destroyed some of my flood gates (and traps as well, I think), and the corpses (all dwarfs) never decayed.

The items are not being used by anything, cannot be used by anything, and cannot be dumped either.

I've tried designating an appropriate stockpile under them, but they still don't get recognised for any job.

Are the items forbidden?  All items start off forbidden in reclaimed fortress, and you have to reclaim the items (use the reclaim designation or the Stocks screen).

If they're reclaimed, I think there have been reports of a bug that causes all items tasked for a job at the moment of abandoning to never become available for use again.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:53:06 pm »

Are the items forbidden?  All items start off forbidden in reclaimed fortress, and you have to reclaim the items (use the reclaim designation or the Stocks screen).

If they're reclaimed, I think there have been reports of a bug that causes all items tasked for a job at the moment of abandoning to never become available for use again.

I've heard that they becomes avaliable again when the tile under them are channeled out ( or in case of constructed floor, deconstructed ) so they drops, apparently effecting a 'status reset' on the stuck object. (Disclaimer, I've never reclaimed fortresses, but I've seen others mentioning and commenting on it )