Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Chunksplosion  (Read 1054 times)

Someguyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Chunksplosion
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:37 am »

I'm sure many, if not all, of you have seen the catsplosion. To be more accurate, the thermonuclear catsplosion. My idea is that Dwarf Chunks, upon appearing, would also explode. Yes it would be annoying, but hilarious nonetheless. "The Wolf shakes You around by the left upper arm! A chunk is torn away! <Insert explosion here>" I am relatively new to this game, and I cannot find the Dwarf Chunk in raw files, so I was wondering if this was at all possible. Thanks in advance.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Chunksplosion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:49:05 am »

I does not believes that's possible, I've looked through raws for chunks before, and couldn't find it. Though I do agree that'd be fun to see happening, would make wrestlers more like kamakize bombs, and hunters also, in fortress mode  ;D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:01:28 am »

Alas, the only way of making chunks really hot would be making the creatures flesh real hot.

Second, DF does not contain explosions. At best expanding clouds of hot gas...

Alright, that is an explosion. Still, other than the fact that it is expanding gas, it is in no way an explosion. At best you can make it so hot it vaporizes. Again, the only way to do that is to have it emit a temperature higher than its ignite point.

Hard-coded things are difficult to work with, but with determination we may find a way to make bomb limbs a possibility. I'm sure somebody made a reaction using chunks somewhere, so while they may not be in the raws directly they can be referenced.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:53:34 am »

Chunks are referenced by [REMAINS:NO_SUBTYPE:insert creature:NO_MATGLOSS].

A much easier way of creating an 'explosion' is to instead have a creature drop a stone that oils at a temperature below room temperature. A small bug in the game causes the boiling stone to have its temperature set to its boiling point, allowing clouds of cold to form. This can then be used to create slightly damaging clouds that boil only a small ways below room temperature, to rocks with [BOILING_POINT:0] that will erupt into absolute cold and kill everything they touch. You can also then control how fast an object explodes by changing the [SOLID_DENSITY:?] of the rock dropped. If you can stand having dwarves being 'frozen' to death instead of burning up, cold explosions are much easier to create then hot ones.

Unfortunately, right now you can not have chunks change temperature. You might be able to do something with bones, though that would be a long term thing at best.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.