Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A huge bloody mess  (Read 1479 times)

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A huge bloody mess
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »

It seems whenever I get a fort rolling and I have a population of 85ish and the nobility are finally satisfied my fortress degrades into the state of a 15 year olds bedroom.  Things are left lying around everywhere, bloodstaines are on the carpets, and most of my dwarves seem to be milling around doing nothing.  The dwarves that I actually want to do their jobs don't want to work and I keep running out of booze because when a booze barrel is emptied it's moved into another stockpile so that I can't put more booze into it.  Help please.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: A huge bloody mess
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »

With the booze barrel problem, set a stonecrafter (or two or three) to making stone pots. Lots and lots and lots of pots. They work just as well as barrels for booze storage, and the one thing you're going to have a surplus of is raw stone.

If you want to get rid of the blood, your dwarves have to bath. You either need to have them walk through a low stream (which can be tricky to set up and keep flowing at a non-drowning water-level), or an artificial waterfall. I usually build the latter right at the entrance to my dining hall; in addition to getting clean, the dwarf gets a happy thought from the spray. Just be sure to channel out lots of drain-space, and cover it all with grates, so no one gets washed away.

As for all the idlers.. you need to come up with a megaproject. Make them all masons, set up mason workshops everywhere churning out stone blocks, and then Build Something out of the blocks.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

It seems whenever I get a fort rolling and I have a population of 85ish and the nobility are finally satisfied my fortress degrades into the state of a 15 year olds bedroom.  Things are left lying around everywhere, bloodstaines are on the carpets, and most of my dwarves seem to be milling around doing nothing.  The dwarves that I actually want to do their jobs don't want to work and I keep running out of booze because when a booze barrel is emptied it's moved into another stockpile so that I can't put more booze into it.  Help please.

as to the mess, that's just dwarves being dwarfy.  you want a mess?  try a few years of sieges with little to no cleanup.   it would take two or more years to collect all the garbage, and i still have 8-9 year old pools of blood spreading around.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:01 pm »

Just run some magma through the fortress. It'll all get cleaned.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Things are left lying around everywhere,

Clothes or what? If it's clothing, then give the dwarf a room with a cabinet in it. When they get a free moment, they'll store their things.

bloodstaines are on the carpets,

Have some empty buckets handy and a dwarf with nothing but Cleaning active. So long as it's indoors, they'll take care of it eventually. They say that designating a meeting zone where the area to be cleaned is works well.

and most of my dwarves seem to be milling around doing nothing.  The dwarves that I actually want to do their jobs don't want to work

Do you have a Manager? If not, appoint one via the Noble Screen 'n' and then go to the workshops in question. Hit 'P' and either change the max/min skill settings for that workshop or just select the individual dwarves you want to work there. So long as there are jobs, only that dwarf or dwarves with the required skill level will do it from now on. That's also a good way to make sure that your Legendary + 5 Mason isn't cranking out cheap stone blocks with a Novice is busy making no quality cabinets with your native platinum.

and I keep running out of booze because when a booze barrel is emptied it's moved into another stockpile so that I can't put more booze into it.  Help please.

Reserve barrels by hitting 'p' and changing the reserved barrel settings. Crank it up to about ten or so. Reserved barrels will only be used for processes that require barrels like alcohol and plant extracts that are stored in barrels. You might also check the food stockpile that your barrels are winding up in and lower the amount of allowed barrels; really large stockpiles can soak up bins and barrels that are needed badly somewhere else.