Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Dwarven Magma Cannon  (Read 62310 times)

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Magma Cannon
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:06:37 pm »

Hmmmm.. Orbital Magma + a similar setup for water a z-level higher...

New plan, encase at least one fort in a solid block of Obsidian a minimum of 25 z-levels tall, and 25 tiles on a side.

Bonus points, carve out all the rock surrounding the cube of doom leaving only a few flimsy connecting bridges.

Bonus Bonus points... build a second smaller cube with a long winding 3-dimensional maze invaders must follow carved into it.. then collapse it with them inside.

Triple Bonus.. add a self destruct to your own cube to do the same.

So THAT's how the Borg make 'em!
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 09:16:43 pm »

Actually, they use more kittens.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:22 pm »

Quadruple Bonus: Make a cube that has smaller 3x3x3 rooms, each room must have a HORRIBLE trap in it. Also, each room must have access via hatchs/doors to each adjacent room.
Quintuple Bonus: The rooms move around within the cube :D)
(Another bonus if you know where that comes from  :))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:25:48 pm by Shad0wyone »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »

Ooh! Is it 'The Caves of Steel'?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:00 am »

Quadruple Bonus: Make a cube that has smaller 3x3x3 rooms, each room must have a HORRIBLE trap in it. Also, each room must have access via hatchs/doors to each adjacent room.

Is it from Cube?

ehei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:23 am »

And if a hut with giant chicken legs shows up, just run.

Because no one expects the Spanish ....er.....Baba Yaga!

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 07:20:12 am »

And if a hut with giant chicken legs shows up, just run.

Because no one expects the Spanish ....er.....Baba Yaga!

Castle Heterodyne's rooms don't move among eachother like those in The Cube do, though.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »

Neat. I've built on of these before, except I had the magma fall from the highest z-level on the map. Can anyone tell me how to make and upload videos so I can post it here? Figured it out. Here's the movie: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1267-magmacannon
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:38:38 pm by Da King »

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 03:16:02 am »

May I present a more elegant system:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1234-lavacurtain

The lava curtain. Just a simple sheet of lava continually pouring over iron bars. Much fun is involved!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 04:57:01 am »

Hey nahkh...will it turn, do you think? Install three floodgates and you should be able to pipe it in three different directions. If it works...

It may have short range, but I'm thinking you should install a pressurized magma sprinkler system. Use either notes or a scale model to index which exit floodgate goes with which switch. Gain godlike powers of life and death!

I wonder how much throughput it would lose if you opened several gates at once. It should at least produce bursts, I would think.

Just for spice, imagine the gobbo's puzzlement when they spot a huge overhead network of...something. Naturally they promptly forget about it, but still...
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 07:12:30 am »

Hey nahkh...will it turn, do you think? Install three floodgates and you should be able to pipe it in three different directions. If it works...

It may have short range, but I'm thinking you should install a pressurized magma sprinkler system. Use either notes or a scale model to index which exit floodgate goes with which switch. Gain godlike powers of life and death!

I wonder how much throughput it would lose if you opened several gates at once. It should at least produce bursts, I would think.

Just for spice, imagine the gobbo's puzzlement when they spot a huge overhead network of...something. Naturally they promptly forget about it, but still...

I think the goblins are used to seeing huge networks of stuff they don't understand when the get to a fortress. It's almost standard.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:27 am »

Yeah, goblin ingenuity doesn't go much past "worky bitz meenz stumpiez!"
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 11:34:49 am »

I like your idea Marko, I'm going to have to try that myself.

Would it be possible to build a Moses-o-tron style entrance to a fortress, with magma to each side and pumps that constantly keep a central path clear, but a switch to send waves of magma down on a siege? Here's what I'm thinking:
        g    g
Wm%%   %%mW
Wmmm    mmmW

m=magma, w=wall, %%=pump, and g=Gear assemblies connected to a power supply and an on/off switch.

I'm not sure if this would work however, or how much magma it would need. Suggestions?

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:48 pm »

DaKing that would be utterly insane, but I'm already picturing how it would be done!

Code: [Select]
W <-m%%m m%%m-> W
W    --m m--    W
WMMMMMMm mMMMMMMW
W= Wall
%%=Pump
--=floor (space = open space)
M= Magma
m= magma flow
Magma gets sucked up through the pump, and out the other side, where it falls back down to the floor below joining it's magma friends. Then if a siege comes, you just turn off the power to the pumps, and the magma quickly swallows up anybody inside!

I would *HIGHLY* suggest running iron bars along the inside as well to keep idiots from getting too close to the magma walls, or you'll have flaming traders/haulers/everything else when you're not trying to use it to kill people. Also will lose a bit of magma over time from evaporation (especially each time you reset it), so you're gonna need a pipe nearby to pump fresh magma in from time to time.

This would be a wagon safe version:

Code: [Select]
W <-m%%m     m%%m-> W
W    --m     m--    W
WMMMMMMmB   BmMMMMMMW
---------------------
W= Wall
%%=Pump
--=floor (space = open space)
M= Magma
m= magma flow
B= Bars
You'd have a 3 wide gap on the bottom between the iron bars that wagons could just squeeze through. And iron bars keep any curious dwarves who stick their hands out of the wagon from getting it burned off.

The main downside to this trap is it will take a while to reset (probably a good couple of months) as once the lava is allowed to flow freely, every space in the gap will be left with a 1/7 tile of magma that will have to evaporate over time. This also means you'll lose 5 units of magma multiplied by how long you make the trap each time you use it. (which is why I suggest having the magma pipe close close by, so you can pump fresh magma in from time to time to refill your Magma supplies.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:49:29 pm by Marko »
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:38 pm »

@Marko:
To solve the problem of the excess magma, I think I'll use drains to get rid of it. Another way would be to use small amounts of water to cool it down, but that sounds way too messy. Anyway, I'm starting a fort to do this now, I'll post a video when it's done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6