Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Considering a new fortress, resort-esque design  (Read 1475 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Considering a new fortress, resort-esque design
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:13:25 pm »

Goal 1: As many happy thought generating devices that I can get.
     Tombs, Mist generators, wells, chairs/tables, architecture, rooms, variety of food/drink, statue gardens, zoos, noise, anything else?
Goal 2: Efficiency.
     Magma, I rarely use it, opting for older methods, tree farms mostly. This is difficult to set up though, and I would really just prefer setting up a magma system.
     Cave Adaptation, I intend to avoid this by limiting my population PURELY to underground areas. This makes the need for magma even more vital, as well as potentially an underground river/lake to provide enough wood for beds.
     Farming, what IS the best food efficiency wise? I'm thinking Quarry Bushes. Remember, crops will all be underground, so that rules out most of em. The need for efficiency in my farming is that I intend to have a full fortress/royal guard, something I have always just avoided in the past. I don't want to worry about food, I want my military to be able to subsist 100% of the time.
     Space/Traffic, this is another major reason I want efficiency. I intend my fortress to be a work of beauty, not one of discipline. Because of this, the design of my fortress will not be particularly efficient.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:16:35 pm by Alex Encandar »
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Considering a new fortress, resort-esque design
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:28 pm »

Farming, what IS the best food efficiency wise? I'm thinking Quarry Bushes.

For pure efficiency, I'd stick with Sweet Pod and Plump Helmet.

Both can be used for either food or alcohol.  This gives you a little variation in both booze and food.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:38:01 pm »

Goal 1: As many happy thought generating devices that I can get.
     Tombs, Mist generators, wells, chairs/tables, architecture, rooms, variety of food/drink, statue gardens, zoos, noise, anything else?
Goal 2: Efficiency.
     Magma, I rarely use it, opting for older methods, tree farms mostly. This is difficult to set up though, and I would really just prefer setting up a magma system.
     Cave Adaptation, I intend to avoid this by limiting my population PURELY to underground areas. This makes the need for magma even more vital, as well as potentially an underground river/lake to provide enough wood for beds.
     Farming, what IS the best food efficiency wise? I'm thinking Quarry Bushes. Remember, crops will all be underground, so that rules out most of em. The need for efficiency in my farming is that I intend to have a full fortress/royal guard, something I have always just avoided in the past. I don't want to worry about food, I want my military to be able to subsist 100% of the time.
     Space/Traffic, this is another major reason I want efficiency. I intend my fortress to be a work of beauty, not one of discipline. Because of this, the design of my fortress will not be particularly efficient.

Fancy mechanisms with tons of decoration works as well or better than statue of equal quality, last I checked, and actually can be walked over too. Fancy chairs and tables makes dwarves happier too, even though they'll probably be prickled all over the place, and having dining room allows them to party, which makes 'em happy and happy  ;D

For the food, start with plump helmets to boot everything up, then quarry bush and sweet pods, they're the best foods I can think of after processing and cooking. Don't forget to include meats and animals (Leather and bones can be used to decorate or make more stuffs  ;D ) And never forget the booze, I don't think quarry bush can be brewed, but pig-tail, dimple cups and sweet pods can be, plus pig-tail and dimple cup makes for dyed clothings which's more valuable and makes 'em happy (assuming they -remembers- to change their rotting clothings ) And don't forget to limit numbers of your farmers, and make sure they're the only one with plant collecting tasks (and most of their labours be turned off for efficiency ) so they can get more experience, and therefore have bigger stacks of plants coming out.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:10:33 pm »

Dimple cup can't be brewed, but cave wheat can.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:21:51 pm »

For happiness, create an over crafted hall ( tip, use high quality clear crystal glass crystal glass ( use cut clear crystal windows to make the clear glass crystal glass crystal glass ) and make waterfalls.*Why?

Food-wise, I'd use plump helmets, prickle berries, wild strawberries ( for dry, non-freezing, lit areas ) , and rat weed, fish berries ( for wet, non-freezing, lit areas ) .**Why?
To combat Cave Adaption, place skylights all over the place.***Why?

I recommend you using a hexagonal system, and at the points of concurrency, place up/down stairs, and yes, it can be irregular, it just needs to have the pattern, where it is regular.****Why?

• *Why?- Clear Glass > Clear Glass Crystal Glass > Clear Glass Crystal Glass Crystal Glass
  • **Why?- It is because said crops can be produced all year-round in farm plots, or naturally. And for dining statistics, it can be eaten raw, or in a platter, but best of all, made into magic happy juice.
  • ***Why?- If dwarves are in contact with sunlight often they won't cave adapt, therefore they can go and harvest their sunned crop.
  • ****Why?- The points of concurrency, with up/down stairs, go in 8 direction, and besides, no need to cramp things into small/large hexes, just overlay the hex grid and you're done.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:37:30 pm by Foa »

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:04 am »

If you want all possible food variety, you could always have "workerbee" dwarves that stay eternally outside to harvest, and haul inside via a hermit airlock system.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:51:19 am »

Here's a link to the fortress in it's early days:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5452-murderbust

I would've picked a more applicable name for a resort, but this was the first name that came up, and come to think of it "Murderbust" Sounds very much like a Dwarven theme park.

Also, yes I did blatently steal the entrance idea from Relicrags. I have no shame. I intend to differentiate from it by implimenting a sewer/mister system though as well as some other unique locals.

Edit: Hmm...earlier I reclaimed because my dwarves were whining about something...something about food...and lack of it. Anyways, so I reclaimed but it seems to have broken the magma workshop ability, any way to switch em on?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:11:58 am by Alex Encandar »
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread: